1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My T dug a deep burrow and covered the entrance – but I found mold?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Krystal Anne, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Advertisement
    Hi everyone,

I'm a little new to the hobby, but even after 2+ years of research, I still worry a lot :shy:

My 3” A. seemanni juvenile dug himself elaborate tunnels and a super deep burrow all the way to the bottom of his enclosure. I got super excited for him since he hasn’t done this before so it was cute to me. Today, I noticed that he covered the entrance with substrate and webbing! I was worried at first, but read that this is normal behavior, especially when it comes to molting. He ate 2 days ago and he isn't really balding so I don't think he's in pre-molt, but maybe?

I decided simply not to disturb him, but then I found this white-ish stuff that I thought was webbing at first, but it’s on the substrate up against the glass. I think it's mold... I want to reach in with tongs and pick them off, as I’ve read others do, but it’s RIGHT BY his burrow. I know I'd stress him out or even put him in danger by accidentally messing up the burrow or burying him! Especially if he does turn out to be in pre-molt.

I've read forums, especially from a microbiologist here (I forgot her username) that this amount of mold isn’t dangerous at all. So maybe I can just leave it there for a while, see if he molts or comes out soon, then take it out later on? What if he stays in there for way too long - I heard they can for weeks/months just because? Any advice? Thank you!

Here's a photo. My T's covered burrow entrance is at the top where that triangle white reflection is. The actual tunnel is deeper in, somewhat away from the mold.

Attached Files:

2. Venom1080

Venom1080 Arachnoking Active Member

I can barely see any mold. That's not a issue at all.

And her name is boina:)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  3. That's a relief! I don't know much about molding. I'll leave it for now. Thank you :)

And yes, Boina! Lol thanks again!

• Like Like x 1
  4. chanda

chanda Arachnobaron Active Member

Relax. If that's even mold, there's very little of it. There certainly isn't enough of it to get concerned about. It's not worth the risk of stressing out your spider - just in case he/she is premolt.

It is not at all uncommon for tarantulas to barricade themselves in their burrows for weeks or months at a time - and they don't even have to be molting/premolt. I've had some do the same thing, only to emerge months later - still the same size - when they eventually got hungry. I've had others who would eat right up until a molt and skip the whole hiding away part altogether. Spiders are going to do what they're going to do, so no point fretting about it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Thank you. At this very early stage of owning tarantulas, I do realize that I worry a lot. Thanks for the info!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Nightstalker47

Nightstalker47 Arachnobaron Active Member

Montreal
    Mold isn't a worry unless it gets really out of hand. You can either leave it or scoop out the moldy area. I can't tell from your pics but doesn't look bad at all.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. There are a couple of thin, white, fuzzy looking stuff but yeah it's not a lot. Sorry the photo isn't very clear. I suppose I'll leave it for now so I won't stress my T and take it out once it's safe. Thanks :)

8. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

It's nice to see a new person who actually has done reading and research for a change, did someone's god come back to Earth.

Don't worry about the mold too much, unless you are growing the cure for cancer. Some T owners have sprung up mushrooms, and let them remain w/no harm to the T.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. aphono

aphono Arachnosquire

Good to check though.. better catch a potential problem in the early stages rather than wait until it gets way out of hand.

as for not eating- my A. chalcodes refused to eat for two months. Not burrowed down or anything different. Last week she started to pounce on crickets. Go figure but I absolutely love feeding her- that's part of the problem though, as some species are very prone to fasting if fed too often. So I am trying my best not to feed her again for a week or two.... :rolleyes:

10. Thank you! I'm constantly reading and watching videos every single day because I love them so much and don't want to be so uneducated about them lol. And that's good to hear, I'm glad my T won't be harmed! :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Thanks, I figured better safe than sorry. Especially since my little A. seemanni is my first T :')
    And I heard about T's doing that! I really want an A. chalcodes but they're hard to come by here, and I'm still nervous about buying T's online... I'm getting a G. rosea and I read that they're known to fast for up to 2 years... Not looking forward to that lol

12. darkness975

darkness975 A Dream Within a Dream Arachnosupporter

@boina is the biologist.

I have had specimens eat right up until around 24 hours before molting. Sometimes they just go against our previous knowledge of their habits to mess with our heads.

As others have said I do not see any major causes for alarm.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Thank you, it's very relieving to have so many responses that tell me there's not much to worry about here. I appreciate it, and thanks for tagging boina!

• Like Like x 1
  14. boina

boina Arachnobaron Arachnosupporter

Germany
    Who, me? ;)

Well, I've just agreed to every post that said this little bit of possible mold is of no concern (I hope I didn't miss anyone) because it isn't. :D

• Like Like x 3
  15. darkness975

@boina and I speak the same language (literally - German) and not many confirmed biologists here so it was easy to figure out who you meant lol.

If you notice mold spreading and starting to take over then I would be concerned.

Usually, if I see mold (which only happens in my more humid enclosures) I just pick it off with tongs. I recommend the 12" (or longer) ones that minimize your chance of having your bare hand inside the Enclosure itself. Even the most "calm" appearing of Spiders can have a bad day and lash out with surprising speed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Yay! I remembered the cute snake photo but not the name :') Thank you!!!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Off topic, but your photo looks so much like Candace King! :happy:
    Anyway, thank you for the info. I'll make sure to keep an eye on it and do that when necessary. Very helpful!

18. aphono

aphono Arachnosquire

Yes, I was amazed reading about 6, 10, 24 month fasts! That really helped me be relaxed about my chalcodes' 2 month fast. I caught her drinking a couple times, so they really do need the water, even during a fast.. but again, no worries if it has sealed itself off from "the world".. keep that water dish clean n full and you are good.

Hope you luck out on A. chalcodes, they are a fantastic species. Mine is the most active, the only one I regularly see in motion.. the other species move around too, just barely ever see them in motion so these are great for observing tarantula behavior.

• Like Like x 1
  19. darkness975

It is Candice King.

For the tongs you don't have to get fancy. The zoo med ones you can get at Petco will suffice.

20. Oops, I meant *Candice. But awesome!
    And yes, I have those tongs. I'll make sure to use them, thank you.