My Spirostreptus sp. 1

mickiem

Arachnoprince
I haven't had these long; 6 months. I wasn't sure how big they got before they were mature and then I found eggs. :rolleyes:

I now have lots of 2 month plings.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Not sure if you can tell what they’ve been up to. My goodness, legs and coils everywhere! I think he left her for dead. I need a millipede monastery. 16E0BDA0-94D1-47F6-8ADA-074F50EFE994.jpeg

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Out for a stroll. These millipedes don’t secrete much anymore I wonder if it was when they were breeding they were annoyed with my interruptions and secreted so much or they just decided not to be bothered by the hand that drops cucumbers . Plings are 5-6 mos and over an inch . Still not much color D2CCC761-843D-4A79-9680-C29B77BD3FFE.jpeg

Last edited:

mickiem

Arachnoprince
These guys are fast growers there’s mama with babies 1 month, 3 months and 7 months BDCA1E18-74BC-4C95-95D5-F2256C760902.jpeg

mickiem

Arachnoprince
These are becoming one of my favorite species. I love the green and orange stripes (sorry I am such a bad photographer. :yuck:) Before they had babies, they stayed under more often than up top. After the babies were numerous and active, the adults started staying topside. The same thing happened with my Thais. Funny phenomenon.

plumduff

Arachnopeon
Perhaps they just need some time away from the kids.:happy: How big are the adults now? I am considering this species for a planted setup, but they might be too big and destructive. I also love the colours. Very unique.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
They are about 7" (males smaller). They are similar in size to Oo's but just a bit more stout. I can't speak to the destructiveness; I never try to keep things tidy. But they are very active so that might lend to things being rearranged. :)

plumduff

Arachnopeon
So at that length I would imagine that they are about the thickness of you thumb? What are Oo's?

DubiaW

Arachnobaron
So at that length I would imagine that they are about the thickness of you thumb? What are Oo's?
Oo's is my pet name for O. ornatus. When researchers do field work they often use shortened versions of latin for nicknames; for example Sceloporus magister (or Spiny Lizard) is very time consuming to yell out while collecting in the field so it is shortened to "Smag." I was calling Orthoporus ornatus "Oh Oh" in the field because it actually means something in Hawaiian, it is not as short as Oo and it types so nicely. Looks like a an emoticon. It is cute and it works which is the bar for field nicknames in research.

DubiaW

Arachnobaron
"O'O bar" is a Hawaiian "Pigeon" term for a digging bar. That is why "Oh Oh" is funny. Little digging bar.