My Spirostreptus sp. 1

mickiem

Arachnoprince
IMG_4250.JPG I have 5 of these and they are 4-6" long. I believe they are mature. They are very active and beautiful but they release lots of toxins. I love their green and peach stripes and the triple coils. IMG_4248.JPG

Attachments

Last edited:

mickiem

Arachnoprince
IMG_4300.JPG They are definitely mature! I found several tiny naked eggs scattered about. There are two eggs in this photo, just above George's head. :D

keks

Arachnobaron
Congratulations! I don't know the measures of the coin, but the eggs seem to be very tiny ^^.

keks

Arachnobaron
Yes, this is very tiny. You have good eyes or a good magnifier :rofl:.
I'm waiting for pictures of pedelings ^^.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Yes, this is very tiny. You have good eyes or a good magnifier :rofl:.
I'm waiting for pictures of pedelings ^^.
I don't have such good eyes, but they are easy to spot because they are dissimilar to everything else in the enclosure. These are very white, smooth and round. Yesterday I saw a few of the eggs are already protonymphs. I have only had them for two months so I was surprised! And happy :smug:

keks

Arachnobaron
I would be happy too, I find pedelings in my enclosures :rolleyes:.
Though I am already happy, when my millipedes are fine. Till now it looks like they are fine. I can see them almost every day eating on the surface. It's unbelievable what quantity of leaves and vegetables they can eat :D.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
IMG_3060.JPG When I feed my millipedes between 10 p and midnight I generally find activity of some sort. :rolleyes:

plumduff

Arachnopeon
Very beautiful. I have been considering this species. When you say they release lots of toxins; do you mean when handled, or do they stink up their tank?

SlugPod

Arachnoknight
Beautiful species!
I really love the colours.

I'd love to have these one day.
Congrats on the eggs!

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Very beautiful. I have been considering this species. When you say they release lots of toxins; do you mean when handled, or do they stink up their tank?
They have to be provoked somehow. If I am in their enclosure too long moving things or adding substrate or If I handle them they will secrete. There is an acrid smell when they secrete.

My pedelings are only a few months old. When they start getting big enough to handle I am going to try to handle them and let them crawl over my hands. I'm not sure if that will help, but it can't hurt. I think the adults are secreting a little less as they get use to me.

I have never known them to secrete unless I am moving substrate or handling them.

plumduff

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the explanation. That would be interesting to find out if they become less skittish through early handling. Certainly worth doing.
We are having a plague of the little native black ones at the minute. 20 -30 in the bath every morning. Thousands inside the garage. There is a sudden acrid stink every time you open a door because they are clustered inside the door jams. I even managed to brush my teeth with a small one nestled in the bristles of my toothbrush. Not advised!

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Thanks for the explanation. That would be interesting to find out if they become less skittish through early handling. Certainly worth doing.
We are having a plague of the little native black ones at the minute. 20 -30 in the bath every morning. Thousands inside the garage. There is a sudden acrid stink every time you open a door because they are clustered inside the door jams. I even managed to brush my teeth with a small one nestled in the bristles of my toothbrush. Not advised!
Yikes! I can't imagine that many millipedes.

I PROMISE I won't try to brush my teeth with one!!!

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
Nice 'pedes! I've wanted this sp. for a while but too reluctant to spend money.

A good size, nice color, and from what I've heard from BIC they are very hardy and prolific. Any plings yet?