My Solifugid Experience (so far)

robd

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So I bought two Egyptian Banded Solifugids (likely Galeodes granti) from Todd Gearhart back in November. Fast forward to today and I only have one left at this point. There was something wrong with the first one. It would not eat. I know, sounds crazy. It's abdomen was all shriveled up and I knew it's days were surely numbered. And they were. It died after about 3 weeks.

The other one has a little bit more of an appetite and a slightly healthier looking abdomen. A little more plump than the other was. Really not at all consistent with what I remember the solifugids from Iraq being like. Not very aggressive. Not very fast. It's almost like they're completely indifferent to everything that used to stimulate the one that I kept for a pet while in Iraq. As in food, digging, acting frantic in general.

The conditions I have kept it under are as follows:

- a room where it gets as high as 75 in the day and 68 at night
- a 2.5 gal aquarium filled 2/3's the way with sand
- all sides of the aquarium were blacked out so light wouldn't get in except from the top

They both burrowed at first. Eventually the 1st one died and then I dug out the other one. They could not make burrows without me moistening the sand, thereby making it mold-able. It dried and then I moistened it again, but the solifugid would not burrow. I since have removed the black out paper since that didn't seem to affect it much either way, as the room is usually dark. It just kinda sits there on top of the sand and I try to feed it every once in awhile, but it usually is not interested.

So in an effort to salvage my investment to observe this creature, I transplanted it into a small kritter keeper with moist eco-earth for substrate. Just like on top of the sand, it's just sitting there. This thing is so... lethargic or... indifferent to everything in general that I could probably handle it without being scared of getting bit. I would never have thought I could say that about a solifugid.

Anyway, first things first... I am not looking for deconstructive criticism here. I know they are not a good pet. I know they aren't hardy. I did all the research before buying these and I've even had them before so spare me, please.

Anyone have any advice worth mentioning? Anyone else experience a solifugid with characteristics like these?

Last edited:

saltyscissors

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've never kept anything close to Solifugids ever, but I've read posts here stating:

They don't need feeding everyday.
Their enclosures shouldn't be extremely hot all day (temp should drop at night)
And most importantly, they hibernate.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Just echoing what I've read elsewhere:

As saltyscissors says, hibernation needs are the likely cause of its' sluggishness. The 'successful' keepers usually mention lots of floor space & lots of hides when the little beasts are active.

robd

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sounds about right. I think that when I got them they may have already been in a hibernation phase. They were very slow to wake up after being unpacked.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
i've had great success (even egg-laying) with just sand and some hides. the soli will create "scrapes" underneath leaning pieces of bark or whatever and hide in those until they become active (usually nighttime). dry, food every few days. enclosure was pretty spartan.

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
They don't live very long and more often ship poorly. I've seen the hibernation theory offering but they never come out of hibernation, they're just dying.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
I've seen the hibernation theory offering but they never come out of hibernation, they're just dying.
the one i had hibernated, coming awake maybe every 6 weeks for a day, then going back. after about 5 months iirc, she went into full-feeding mode again. makes sense with our colorado winters, cold for many months, but there are a few days thrown in where the temps can get quite warm.