My snails, roaches and isopods

Zuzu

Arachnopeon
Those large snails with the white bodies on the last page are beautiful!

houston

Arachnopeon
What size is the tank the Peppered roaches are in? I have a 55g sitting around and I love your setup!

VolkswagenBug

Arachnobaron
I'm not Marika, but 55g would fit a lot of roaches and would probably be a good size for a large colony that could fit 30+ adults at a time.

Marika

Arachnoangel
What size is the tank the Peppered roaches are in? I have a 55g sitting around and I love your setup!
It's about 28g. A 55g tank would be awesome! I think I have about 15-20 adults in my tank at the moment, the females like to stay inside a large cork tube, so I'm not sure how many I've got.

Marika

Arachnoangel
I got some new roaches today, A. tesselata nymphs and three male hissers, here's one of them:

He ran away hissing after I had taken a couple of pics, I guess he didn't like it :p I've had my old hisser for almost three years now, he was a young adult when I got him. I hope these new guys will treat him well.

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think your sexist. You discriminate against female hissing roaches. :p

In all seriousness, you should get some female hissers and start up a small colony of them.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking

In all seriousness, you should get some female hissers and start up a small colony of them.
I used to only keep males as well, they make great pets, and if you only have a few of them, you can really tell the differences between their personalities.

When you actually breed them, and you end up with hundreds of the things, you kinda lose that "pet" feel, so I understand why he would only want a few males. :)

VolkswagenBug

Arachnobaron
I used to only keep males as well, they make great pets, and if you only have a few of them, you can really tell the differences between their personalities.

When you actually breed them, and you end up with hundreds of the things, you kinda lose that "pet" feel, so I understand why he would only want a few males. :)
I think most people prefer males because of the horn structures. At least that's why I prefer them.
I agree about the pet thing, I like to only keep a few of each species so that I can see the difference in personalities between them. Also because I'm not allowed to breed roaches while living with my parents.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Also because I'm not allowed to breed roaches while living with my parents.
I will never understand this! I mean, feeder roaches are contained and most folks don't even keep the kind that would likely infest a home (Yes, I acknowledge some locales are at higher risks for infestations).
I never knew I would enjoy my B lats as pets in their own right as well as feeders for my dragon and Ts. I almost feel guilty using them as feeders. :dead:

Marika

Arachnoangel

Haha, kind of, yeah :D I could get a few females as well, in their own tank, but only if I knew for sure that they have never mated. It's just a lot easier buying males. Like @Hisserdude mentioned, they are pets to me. I don't want to breed them, because I don't need hundreds of hissers. I don't need them as feeders (I only have one small sling) and I already have hundreds of pedelings that I need to sell :p

Last edited:

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
I think most people prefer males because of the horn structures. At least that's why I prefer them.
I agree about the pet thing, I like to only keep a few of each species so that I can see the difference in personalities between them. Also because I'm not allowed to breed roaches while living with my parents.
Yeah, that's certainly another reason why they are so appealing as pets, their horn structures are really cool, and watching them fight with each other can be quite entertaining! :D

Haha, you'll get there eventually, my mom didn't want me breeding them either, but after a couple years of keeping male hissers, she grew to really like them and really opened up to the idea of me breeding roaches, now look at my collection lol! :p

I will never understand this! I mean, feeder roaches are contained and most folks don't even keep the kind that would likely infest a home (Yes, I acknowledge some locales are at higher risks for infestations).
I never knew I would enjoy my B lats as pets in their own right as well as feeders for my dragon and Ts. I almost feel guilty using them as feeders. :dead:
Some people just have really deep rooted phobias of roaches, they won't listen to scientific facts that prove they can't become pests, don't care how non-roachy they look, if they are at all related to the common pest cockroaches, they won't let them near their houses. :(

Haha, kind of, yeah :D I could get a few females as well, in their own tank, but only if I knew for sure that they have never mated. It's just a lot easier buying males. Like @Hisserdude mentioned, they are pets to me. I don't want to breed them, because I don't need hundreds of hissers. I don't need them as feeders (I only have one small sling) and I already have hundreds of pedelings that I need to sell :p
Yeah, and man are they prolific! With just one mated female, you'd likely have a good sized colony started up within 5-6 months, and the market for them is so oversaturated now, it can be hard to sell off excess specimens... Unless you are ready for that commitment, just sticking to males is really the best IMO. :)

Vermis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm tickled that you used to keep Cepea snails. I did too when I was a kid. Difficult to find now - they seem to have been largely pushed out by the bigger Helix snails, which you never used to see round here.

I also kept Archimandrita tesselata. I've had a few years away from the exotic pet scene, when I used to keep spiders, scorpions, mantids etc... To be honest I think I missed the peppered roaches the most. Your photos play no small part in that!

VolkswagenBug

Arachnobaron
Yeah, and it would be nearly impossible for any species other than P. japonica or B. germanica to infest my home. I live in northern Utah, and it's incredibly cold for most of the year (it actually snowed yesterday), and far too hot in the mid-summer for many species to thrive. It's also super dry, so any non-native bug that escapes will inevitably die if it doesn't end up in the bathroom or basement. My mom won't even let me keep two of completely unrelated species together in the same container, even if they're nymphs! She has had some bad experiences with pest roaches, so I understand, but still, it's pretty unreasonable IMO.
Yeah, that's certainly another reason why they are so appealing as pets, their horn structures are really cool, and watching them fight with each other can be quite entertaining! :D

Haha, you'll get there eventually, my mom didn't want me breeding them either, but after a couple years of keeping male hissers, she grew to really like them and really opened up to the idea of me breeding roaches, now look at my collection lol! :p
My mom has started to warm up to some of my bugs, but she doesn't really like the roaches. She does like my millipedes a lot, she says she likes the way their legs move. Doesn't mind my praying mantis either, but she thinks my Mastigoproctus giganteus and Jerusalem cricket are creepy. Eventually, I hope I can convince her to lighten up on roach restrictions.

Marika

Arachnoangel
I'm tickled that you used to keep Cepea snails. I did too when I was a kid. Difficult to find now - they seem to have been largely pushed out by the bigger Helix snails, which you never used to see round here.
They are beautiful snails. I have sometimes tought about getting a few, but like you said, they are pretty difficult to find. I've never had stripeless C. nemoralis, so it could be nice to get a few of those in different colors.