My snails, roaches and isopods

Marika

Arachnoangel
I used to keep several species of snails, but then I kind of needed to take a break from all that slime :p. At the moment the only species I still keep is Pomatias elegans. They are weird and cute, but small and very shy, so I don't have very good photos of them.

I got into roaches about 4 years ago.

I had a small group of Gromphadorhina sp males, now this guy is the only one left:

I keep a small colony of Archimandrita tesselata, this species is my favorite.

I also have a small group of Blaptica dubia males.

I got my first isopods about a year ago. At the moment I have Armadillidium maculatum, Armadillidium sp. "Montenegro", Armadillidium sp, Oniscus asellus, Porcellio scaber, Porcellio scaber "orange", Tricorhina tomentosa and some native species I haven't identified.

Armadillidium maculatum

Armadillidium sp Montenegro

Armadillidium sp

Porcellio scaber

Porcellio scaber orange

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Very nice, gotta love Archimandrita tesselata! :D I REALLY love those Armadillidium sp. "Montenegro", they are stunning! Really hope they'll make their way to the US hobby! :) Are they easy to breed?

MTA

Arachnosquire
Those snails look really interesting, have you gotten any eggs from them?

Marika

Arachnoangel
Very nice, gotta love Archimandrita tesselata! :D I REALLY love those Armadillidium sp. "Montenegro", they are stunning! Really hope they'll make their way to the US hobby! :) Are they easy to breed?
A. tesselata males are super funny, I'm always laughing at them when they chase each other around the tank :D When I moved them to that large tank, they even started to "fly" (jumping around flapping their wings). Armadillidium sp. "Montenegro" are breeding, but not as fast as my other isopods.

Those snails look really interesting, have you gotten any eggs from them?
They are totally different from other species I've had, that's why I decided to keep them. I bought 4 adults 3 years ago and they had about 10-12 babies. They have been growing slowly, but are now pretty much adult sized, so I'm hoping they'll start to breed as well.

blacksheep998

Arachnosquire
I also have been trying to get some Armadillidium sp Montenegro in the US for several years without any luck. They're tied with Porcellio expansus for my most wanted species.

I know someone on on another board who imported some P. expandus earlier this year, but I haven't been able to get in touch with him for a few months so I don't know how they're doing. I should really try sending him a message.

Marika

Arachnoangel
Some snails I had:

Achatina fulica

Achatina iredalei

Arianta arbustorum

Cepaea hortensis

Cepaea nemoralis

Eobania vermiculata

Fruticicola fruticum

Helix aspersa

Helix pomatia

Pleurodonte isabella

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
A. tesselata males are super funny, I'm always laughing at them when they chase each other around the tank :D When I moved them to that large tank, they even started to "fly" (jumping around flapping their wings). Armadillidium sp. "Montenegro" are breeding, but not as fast as my other isopods.
Yeah, I've seen some videos, looks like the males can be pretty active! :D I once owned a female I bought from a pet shop near me, she was so huge and quite heavy, one of the coolest species I've ever kept! Will have to get some more one day, when I have more room! :)

Thanks for the info on the Armadillidium sp. "Montenegro", hope they establish themselves in your culture!

I also have been trying to get some Armadillidium sp Montenegro in the US for several years without any luck. They're tied with Porcellio expansus for my most wanted species.

I know someone on on another board who imported some P. expandus earlier this year, but I haven't been able to get in touch with him for a few months so I don't know how they're doing. I should really try sending him a message.
Yeah, I'd love to own some one day, along with a bunch of other really pretty Porcellio species that are being cultured in the Asian and European hobbies!

That's really cool, hope he is successful in breeding them! :)

truecreature

Arachnoknight
Oh man, you have absolutely no idea how jealous I am about those giant land snails. They're illegal to own here in the US :(

Marika

Arachnoangel
Oh man, you have absolutely no idea how jealous I am about those giant land snails. They're illegal to own here in the US :(
Yeah, I've read about that, that's a pity. They are great, can be a bit too prolific though :D

SDCPs

Arachnolord
Dude! This thread is something else. Those giant snails are especially incredible! I would so keep them if I could.

Marika

Arachnoangel
I have tons of snail pics, so I might as well share some more. I don't know, I've been thinking I may have to get a new A. fulica baby :D

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Oh my goodness, this thread is stuffed with awesome!! I am nearly inspired to move out of the US so I can have giant snails <3 lol And those Archimandrita tesselata.. I am definitely going to have to get some of those! Thank you for sharing all these great photos and keep 'em coming :D

Praxibetelix

Arachnosquire
My daughter wants baby snails now! I had to tell her we are not allowed to have the species in this thread. We love the white bodied snails too...I will have to look into snails allowed in USA

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
A. sp. Montenegro are already here :) I know of a few people breeding them, along with Porcellio silvestri. Actually got to see both today at NARBC Tinley Park, but they were pretty far out of my price range and I'd already spent most of my money on roaches from Kyle :p

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
A. sp. Montenegro are already here :) I know of a few people breeding them, along with Porcellio silvestri. Actually got to see both today at NARBC Tinley Park, but they were pretty far out of my price range and I'd already spent most of my money on roaches from Kyle :p
Awesome, was Kyle the person selling them? Glad they are in the US hobby, hopefully they'll get more common, (and affordable), in the next few years. :)

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Awesome, was Kyle the person selling them? Glad they are in the US hobby, hopefully they'll get more common, (and affordable), in the next few years. :)
Nope, but he bought some of the P. silvestri, so he'll be working on making those more common. The guy selling them had several cups of both species, so I'm going to try to put together a trade with him and get a few of one species or the other. As far as I have heard, both are relatively easy to breed, but are pretty slow at it, so it's going to take quite a bit of time before they're readily available I think.