My scorpions

basin79

ArachnoGod
I have one of these guys and I heard this the other day when I was trying to find him and it made me jump, Had no clue they did that. I have heard this species needs to be dry and I have also read they need to be humid -- can you help me? Mine is currently in 5 inches of coco/ecoearth that i keep fairly humid and he seems fine but I would be 100% fine with changing his setup entirely if I'm doing it wrong.
I keep my lass bone dry at the top and I dampen the bottom. She's dug to the bottom so she must like it slightly damp. Of course she probably moves towards the dryer sub at times.

Xaratos

Arachnopeon
I keep my lass bone dry at the top and I dampen the bottom. She's dug to the bottom so she must like it slightly damp. Of course she probably moves towards the dryer sub at times.
Thanks! Ill buy some excavator and mix it into the existing dirt and just stop misting it. Mine rarely ever comes out from deep in the sub but i go over all my scorps with a quick blacklight every night just to see them all come out and i've seen him 3 times in a couple months that way.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Thanks! Ill buy some excavator and mix it into the existing dirt and just stop misting it. Mine rarely ever comes out from deep in the sub but i go over all my scorps with a quick blacklight every night just to see them all come out and i've seen him 3 times in a couple months that way.
If you skip to 40 seconds on this video you can see what I did in my enclosure to aid getting the bottom layer damp. It's worked a treat.

Xaratos

Arachnopeon
If you skip to 40 seconds on this video you can see what I did in my enclosure to aid getting the bottom layer damp. It's worked a treat.

Awesome thanks! I'm wondering if we have the same species, Mine was just labeled as "burrowing scorpion" I did some googling and I have mine labeled as a Wahlbergii but i'm really not sure, do you think you or someone here could tell from some pictures?

IMG_0526.jpg IMG_0527.jpg IMG_0629.jpg

Last edited:

basin79

ArachnoGod

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
I have one of these guys and I heard this the other day when I was trying to find him and it made me jump, Had no clue they did that. I have heard this species needs to be dry and I have also read they need to be humid -- can you help me? Mine is currently in 5 inches of coco/ecoearth that i keep fairly humid and he seems fine but I would be 100% fine with changing his setup entirely if I'm doing it wrong.
They are a savanna species, so there are variables in humidity, rainfall (generally light), and terrain. The savanna biome is between the lush and the desert. So, these guys can be kept on sand (I would always add some type of soil), or any other substrate. I would suggest limiting the humidity to a water dish, in short, keep them on the drier side. I keep mine on a 80/20 mix of topsoil and sand, with some large shredded coco husks to simulate the grassland common on savannas. The little gem must like it because contrary to the general description of a pet hole, it is out and about at all hours.

basin79

ArachnoGod
They are a savanna species, so there are variables in humidity, rainfall (generally light), and terrain. The savanna biome is between the lush and the desert. So, these guys can be kept on sand (I would always add some type of soil), or any other substrate. I would suggest limiting the humidity to a water dish, in short, keep them on the drier side. I keep mine on a 80/20 mix of topsoil and sand, with some large shredded coco husks to simulate the grassland common on savannas. The little gem must like it because contrary to the general description of a pet hole, it is out and about at all hours.
I'd take that as a bad sign personally. If your scorpion is out and about a lot it seems it's looking for a better home. Obviously that's just a guess though.

Rik Cuddy

Arachnosquire
Mines on coco fibre and sand mixed. Keep it as dry as possible. Never mist and just have a water dish in. If that's wrong then hopefully someone will help us both on here......!!

FrDoc

Arachnosupporter +
I'd take that as a bad sign personally. If your scorpion is out and about a lot it seems it's looking for a better home. Obviously that's just a guess though.
I have considered this, but there seems no indication of agitation and it does use its hide, just seemingly reconnoitering throughout the enclosure regularly. It is also eating well. I shall keep a close eye on it, which is easy because it’s one of my favorites. I love the look, build, coloration, wouldn’t mind another.

FrDoc

Arachnosupporter +
Update: I sooo jinxed myself with my posts above about my OG waltzing around its enclosure in plain sight. Two days later I was checking my brood when I saw that it had burrowed along the side of the enclosure. It has subsequently constructed an extensive system that you can observe through the bottom, actually very cool. I guess all things being considered it’s comforting to know it’s “normal”.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Update: I sooo jinxed myself with my posts above about my OG waltzing around its enclosure in plain sight. Two days later I was checking my brood when I saw that it had burrowed along the side of the enclosure. It has subsequently constructed an extensive system that you can observe through the bottom, actually very cool. I guess all things being considered it’s comforting to know it’s “normal”.
Brilliant.

Chris WT

Arachnosquire
I just picked up an OG this last weekend and these pictures and conversations have been excellent. The seller didn't know a thing about any of the scorpions they had but I took a chance on what appeared to be a Juvie OG and this info was fun to read and watch.

basin79

ArachnoGod

For those who won't watch the above video this lass has been hidden away (surprise surprise) for ages. The last time I saw her she was a porker so I assumed the next time I did she'd have moulted. Nope. Caught her out today. I think she'd come out for a sup of water.