My Scorpion rejected its offspring

Hyeon

Arachnopeon
So, I own a Asian Forest Scorpion (Heterometrus) and it gave birth to only two offspring. For the first day everything was fine, come the next day they mother started rejecting the babies leading to one dying and the other in bad shape. I would like to know what to do to make sure the scorpion survives. I currently have the baby on a dampen piece of cotton. 20170828_010135.jpg 20170826_223923.jpg 20170826_223923.jpg

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Wrong kind of troubleshooting. What you need to do is drop down into the scorpion forum. Or wait for this thread to get moved there . In either case, you have better luck getting a response. :)

Jason Brantley

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi Hyeon, put the scorpion on a flat surface and remove the cricket. Put the container in a dark area. Gently, lightly, and sparingly (one pump of the spray bottle) mist the side of the enclosure. Hopefully it will pull through. Female might give birth to more, I don't know.

Edit: Your tank for the female is way too dry...it looks bone dry actually...

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Female might give birth to more, I don't know.

Edit: Your tank for the female is way too dry...it looks bone dry actually...
I agree on both of these points. She still looks gravid in the photo, and the dry conditions may be causing these issues.

RTTB

Arachnoprince
For that species you need higher humidity and a moist substrate.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
So, I own a Asian Forest Scorpion (Heterometrus) and it gave birth to only two offspring. For the first day everything was fine, come the next day they mother started rejecting the babies leading to one dying and the other in bad shape. I would like to know what to do to make sure the scorpion survives. I currently have the baby on a dampen piece of cotton. View attachment 250244 View attachment 250245 View attachment 250246
The mother's terrarium needs to be warm and humid. It looks dry in there.

At that size they will not eat until they molt to 2i. Remove the dead cricket and leave the baby alone to hopefully molt in a couple of weeks. Set it up as others have suggested and hope for the best.

If the baby(ies) survive and molt to their second instar (2i) then that is when the will start to feed. Before that they are still living off of their internal reserves.

Hyeon

Arachnopeon
I try to keep it dampen by misting twice a day(day and night), but the tank keeps drying up within minutes, I got hydroballs to try to see if those will work, hopefully

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
They are saying the substrate its on needs to be pretty wet, so wet that it stays dark for days, not light colored. I had a Pandinus dictator give birth to only two a few days ago, that was it. They died stuck to the parent, never seen that happen. Babies need to "stick" to the mother, they are naturally sticky and it dries. If they don't stick, they can't molt to 2nd instar because the need that first exo to crawl out of to be held down. That's my observation anyway but it looks obvious to me.

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
You have too much ventilation..you need to find a lid with less ventilation or cover most of it up to hold moisture
I try to keep it dampen by misting twice a day(day and night), but the tank keeps drying up within minutes, I got hydroballs to try to see if those will work, hopefully