My scorpion is behaving weirdly

Is it normal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Antonella

Arachnopeon
Okay so I recently bought an Asian Forest Scorpion at petsmart. It is about 2-3 inches. So recently it just stays in the corner and it does not want to move somewhere else. If I try to touch it he reacts to it normally, at least I think ( he gets defensive but does not sting). Okay so I want to know if this is normally. Literally, he/she does not move around and is always on top of one of the two wet sponges I put on the tank ( I also spray the tank daily to make sure it is a bit humid). His tail is curled to the side. I would also like to know what are the scorpion’s pre-molting signs.

Attachments

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
Okay so I recently bought an Asian Forest Scorpion at petsmart. It is about 2-3 inches. So recently it just stays in the corner and it does not want to move somewhere else. If I try to touch it he reacts to it normally, at least I think ( he gets defensive but does not sting). Okay so I want to know if this is normally. Literally, he/she does not move around and is always on top of one of the two wet sponges I put on the tank ( I also spray the tank daily to make sure it is a bit humid). His tail is curled to the side. I would also like to know what are the scorpion’s pre-molting signs.
You will get a better response by posting this on the Scorpion forum.

NYAN

Arachnoking

I’ll report this to have it moved to the scorpion section. As for the scorpion, the substrate looks too dry and doesn’t seem to be the kind which offers burrowing abilities. It looks like the substrate is coco husk or something related. Give it coco fiber instead. The substrate should be deep enough for it to burrow and moist, as this species needs moisture. I don’t know why you have sponges in there, but get rid of them. They only breed bacteria. It may be sitting in the corner because it doesn’t have anywhere to hide. A premolt scorpion will be fat and mine usually do not eat before molting.

Chris WT

Arachnosquire
If a tank of the whole enclosure is enclosed you can receive more advice on husbandry

arachnoxious

arachnovelist
Arachnosupporter
Your scorpion is fine. All of my scorpions react that way when disturbed. Touching or poking them really stresses them out and I rarely handle, if at all.

I would change the substrate out tho. I keep my forest scorp on about 4 inches of cocofiber mixed with a few cups of play sand. Cocofiber holds moisture better and will help with the humidity. The scorpion will also need a starter burrow or a hide. They love burrowing and are usually pet holes from what I've noticed with mine.

It'd be best if you took the sponge out, as well. They are really good at growing mold and bacteria in them. Just a regular water dish is fine :)

JoP

Arachnosquire
As others have said, this species loves to burrow, so a substrate that allows for burrowing is ideal for having a happy scorp. Take out the substrate you currently have and replace it with cocofiber (aka Eco Earth). Also, in the wild, this species lives on forest floors where there's some ambient humidity, so I layer some sphagnum moss on top of the cocofiber to help keep things comfortable, and mine love it. You can also add a piece or two of cork bark for the scorp to burrow under, and make sure you give it at least several inches of substrate so it has room to burrow downward.