1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my scorpion burrows and doesn't ever come out

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by tomas newman, Apr 15, 2017.

1. tomas newman

tomas newman Arachnopeon Active Member

Advertisement
    my scorpion seems to burrow is this normal?

2. scorps

scorps Arachnosquire Active Member

What's the species?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jesse James

Jesse James Arachnosquire Active Member

I don't keep scorpions but, from a quick google search I would say that it is normal behavior.

4. darkness975

darkness975 Dream Reaper Arachnosupporter

Yes it is normal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Christianb96

Christianb96 Arachnoknight Active Member

welcome to the wonderful life of keeping pet holes. if i recall you had an asian forrest scorpion or something similar. most scorpions stay in there burrows untill night, and even then may just sit at the opening waiting for prey to walk past. it is perfectly normal. and if you do not see your scorpion for awhile it is possible it could be gettkng ready for a molt and should not be disturbed.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. ScorpSarah

ScorpSarah Arachnopeon Active Member

This is very normal behavior. I have been keeping scorpions for only a year and have found they are most happy when they are hidden, one hid for a month and molted after. Most scorpions like to be hidden, but there are more active species like the Hadrurus Arizonensis. I see mine roaming around its cage in the middle of the day occasionally :happy:

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Chris LXXIX

Chris LXXIX Arachnoking Active Member

Genus Heterometrus especially... those are pet hole basically :-s

I love that we don't even know which kind of Scorpiones we are talking about, here :angelic:

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. gromgrom

gromgrom Arachnoprince Active Member

ohio
    This is normal behavior and a good indicator you're providing adequate care from a shelter perspective.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. darkness975

darkness975 Dream Reaper Arachnosupporter

Question for you, did you notice your H. arizonensis go into diapause this winter ?

10. ScorpSarah

ScorpSarah Arachnopeon Active Member

Not completely. I even turned off its heat lamp and he was still mostly active. There were a few times where he would block off his burrow, but that never lasted longer than a week or two at a time. Just recently actually he blocked off his burrow again after being active for a month and a half and I haven't seen him for 3 days.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. do0gles

do0gles Arachnopeon

What species? Most Scorpuons will burrow during the day. If you have a burrowing species, it's very common for them to burrow and not come until later at night. I currently have three burrowing species and they've all built. What I call ant farm tunnels in their tanks.

12. RTTB

RTTB Arachnobaron Active Member

A fairly common occurrence.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Smokehound714

Smokehound714 Arachnoking Active Member

Socal
    Hadrurus actually dont require heating at all. For their dormant period they need temps under 50 degrees for long periods