My Scolopendra subspinipes Died

Chocolate Milk

Arachnopeon
Greetings,
Sad day today, my Scolopendra subspinipes died today.

The only reason I picked up this centipede (not being a centipede lover) was because the pet store had him in a dinky little 4 inch long tank, so the centipede was in a "C" shape all the time. It was enough motive to get him.
-----
I don't know how old he was, here is a picture

Forgive the bluriness, it's actually a screenshot from a video I took of him not too long ago.
-----
He was much more happy with that substrate, a moss type blend, and if you watch the video he seems happy in my opinion of course; maybe he wasn't. I fed him twice a week approx. Either worms, pinhead crickets, or mealworms & their beetle form. However I had to clean his tank and I put him in a tmp tank and replaced it with a more soil type brand.

This is when I think things went down hill ; he didn't move like he did in that video anymore, he just sat still moving time to time, and of course I wanted it to be better for him so I assumed it was the soil. I ordered 8 bricks of coconut fiber like substrate, and I had a much much bigger tank I could put him into. So I did so, and filled it with that substrate, and this was all yesterday 2018-05-10, and the next day (today) he was dead. His color was flushed, and it most certainty broke my heart. I won't order a new one because I wasn't interested in them, I simply wanted to give this one a better life, and I honestly hope that I was able to do that until I made this final blunder.

---
I don't know how they look in different ages, I don't think he was too old, maybe it was stress, maybe it was the heat, for as it was 85(f) when I checked, which was much hotter then he was used to since the old tank only reached 70. Another thing to note is I have never seen him molt, I have only had him for a year but I think I should have seen it once.
It could have also been the substrate.

---
Feeling terrible for ending the life of something I just wanted to help I am wanting to know what it was that I did.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
The feeding seemed a little too frequent in my opinion. Generally, when pedes are kept and high temps and fed frequently, they die sooner as a result. I generally keep feeding to once every one or two weeks.

NYAN

Arachnoking
With those wild caught scolopendra dehanni, they tend to die rather randomly. That doesn’t mean that this always happens though in fact, I also know of then lasting years and years. In another thread it was being discussed that their lifespan after being bought is usually less than a year also. Don’t feel too bad about it since it maybe wasn’t even your fault.

Last edited:

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Centipedes don't eat a lot as people think, IME I don't see my S. dehanni for weeks almost a month before it surfaces and eat again. Sometimes it's molts other times it just doesn't feel like surfacing for food.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Also, just because it surfaces doesn't mean it's hungry. My pedes spend most of their time on the surface, even directly after a feed.

NYAN

Arachnoking
Centipedes don't eat a lot as people think, IME I don't see my S. dehanni for weeks almost a month before it surfaces and eat again. Sometimes it's molts other times it just doesn't feel like surfacing for food.
This is very true in fact, mine has been buried for almost a month. I drop an appropriate sized cricket, worm, piece of fruit, meat, frozen thawed mouse in and sometimes it gets eaten and other times I just take it out 24-36 hours later uneaten. except the fruit mouse and meat since that gets nasty. Centipedes can be very reclusive.

Chocolate Milk

Arachnopeon
Also, just because it surfaces doesn't mean it's hungry. My pedes spend most of their time on the surface, even directly after a feed.
Yeah, but ever since I had changed him to the soil based sub. He never burrowed, he was always surfaced, the only time he would go under to his ship cave was when I sprayed down the tank.
Which is when I noticed things going down hill. Something to note is if he didn't eat it, because he was letting the crickets and what not just walk over him and what not I would take them out. He ate like one pin head cricket in a month.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
How would you even feed a big pede pinheads? My biggest pede ignores even regular crickets.

Chocolate Milk

Arachnopeon
Pinhead meaning the supper tiny crickets? You weren’t feeding an adult centipede pinhead crickets were you?
Well the pet store person called them that, and they look similar but they most certainty weren't tiny. Not as big as your typical black cricket, but not much smaller.