My Rosie Won't Molt???

Rob1985

This user has no status.
I wouldn't be too worried. I have an Aphonopelma chalcodes sp. "New River" adult female that hasn't molted in 2.5 years.

RoseRoseRose

Arachnopeon
They are not breeds or strains...they are individual and seperate species.

Even 20 for a rose hair isnt old....they live long lives...mine is at least 30, possibly older, but almost certainly not younger. 40+ would be a proper estimation of expectancy.
Well what i meant to say is each spider has individual stains of dna because most of them were bread in captivity. So they are not the same species you would find in nature. And if u have any literature on life expectancy of the species i would love to read it. But i have yet to find any. I've seen a few people that have said there personal pet lived this long or this long but no studies have been done.

There are strains of bacteria, and breeds of dogs, and neither for Ts. Species is what you need to learn.
So the spider u find that was bread in captivity is definitely not what u would find in nature. I guess its different species of the same genus. So that i would call a different breed is incorrect but its easier.

Last edited by a moderator:

boina

Lady of the mites
Well what i meant to say is each spider has individual stains of dna because most of them were bread in captivity. So they are not the same species you would find in nature. And if u have any literature on life expectancy of the species i would love to read it. But i have yet to find any. I've seen a few people that have said there personal pet lived this long or this long but no studies have been done.

So the spider u find that was bread in captivity is definitely not what u would find in nature. I guess its different species of the same genus. So that i would call a different breed is incorrect but its easier.
Tell me you are joking. Of course they have the same DNA as in the wild. What do you think, the DNA miraculously changes when the tarantula has slings inside a home instead of in the wild? Domestication, the process through which an animal species changes into a domestic breed and becomes different from a wild animal, takes 100s of generations! And it would take 1000s of generations for it to become a different species, if at all. Hell, even dog and wolf are the same species, just different subspecies.

Your rosie has exactly the same basic DNA as any animal in the wild.

And I don't know why you would contest that roseas live for decades? They sometimes even take a decade to mature (females, at least). If one tarantula can live upward of 30 years do you really argue that 7 years is old? That makes no sense. If one tarantula can live that long than it's reasonable to expect the avarage live expectancy in captivity is between 20 and 30.