My Rosie Won't Molt???

RoseRoseRose

Arachnopeon
I have a Rosie thats about 7. She has not molted in about 2 years. She molted 6 times in her first 5 years and then nothing. I have her on a good diet and i change her tank conditions with the seasons. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this issue?

miamc12321

Arachnopeon
Do you have pics of her and her enclosure? I don't have a rosie, but there are many people on here who can help. Pics of your baby will help them help you :)

Mychajlo

Arachnosquire
Well let me first say, she’s a beautiful girl. But to be honest I wouldn’t worry too much. I kept a G. porteri and the more they age they more they slow down their growth, this is common with all T species but it is more “pronounced” with this genus/species in particular, they are also proned to fast for long periods of time as well, to me she looks relatively healthy so I would just say make sure she has enough water available, I would say make sure you feed or at least attempt to feed regularly as you are. This species as far as I have noticed while in my care is a hardy species and they take their time doing things

RoseRoseRose

Arachnopeon
I mix up between roaches, crickets, and meal worms in the summer and then in winter i give her just crickets like in her natural habitat. Most the spiders and tarantulas I've had do better when i give them a more environmentally diet like they would see in nature.

Mychajlo

Arachnosquire
I mix up between roaches, crickets, and meal worms in the summer and then in winter i give her just crickets like in her natural habitat. Most the spiders and tarantulas I've had do better when i give them a more environmentally diet like they would see in nature.
How often do you feed, like on a weekly basis

cold blood

Staff member
That's new to me.

What does change the tank conditions mean?

RoseRoseRose

Arachnopeon
Well in the winter months they are in drought conditions in there natural habitat so i feed her less often & her water intact drops. Not that she gets much lite but i move her tank to almost complete darkness and shade. I have done lots of research on how to keep her habitat close to her real environment as humanly possible.

cold blood

Staff member
And here I just keep it dry with a water dish 365 days a year.

Did you get it as a small sling?

RoseRoseRose

Arachnopeon
When i got her she was about 1/10 the size she is now. I know that the life span of Rosie's is not an exact science. So hopefully 7 isn't super old. But I've seen my best results with keeping her with this type of regimen. I mean all we can do is try our best as pet owners to give our pets the best environment we can and hope for the best. Right?

RoseRoseRose

Arachnopeon
Old? Females can live for 20+ years. :rolleyes:
Here is hoping. Different breeds and different strains have proven there is a lot variances in life expectancy. No research has been definitive on life expectancy in the wild or in captivity.

Dovey

Arachnobaron
I recently got a really beautiful red color phase adult rosea from a Craigslist purchase, believe it or not, and I could just put a tin bucket on the head of her previous owner and beat on it with a spoon for not sexing her or saving a molt-- and I can trust she was telling the truth on this, because the fire leg that came with the deal just proved out female. My rosea is sleek, fat, and sassy, and her abdomen is totally bushy and beautiful. It may be a decade before she molts and I can find out if she is a she! Okay, that is an exaggeration, but not by much. Let's have a rosie race: FIRST one to molt is a rotten egg! :cat:

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
Here is hoping. Different breeds and different strains have proven there is a lot variances in life expectancy. No research has been definitive on life expectancy in the wild or in captivity.
They are not breeds or strains...they are individual and seperate species.

Even 20 for a rose hair isnt old....they live long lives...mine is at least 30, possibly older, but almost certainly not younger. 40+ would be a proper estimation of expectancy.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
There are strains of bacteria, and breeds of dogs, and neither for Ts. Species is what you need to learn.