My rosea's dont kick.. do yours?

omni

Arachnobaron
I have 2 G. rosea, a female for 8 mos. now, and a MM for 3. My female is mostly calm but unpredictable like most I hear. My male is nervous, but not into doing the strange rosea things.
I was thinking about it and had never seen either run or approach at a distubance in their tanks, never even a back leg raised to flick hairs. And more I think about it, I've never seen a pic of a bald rosea or read about someone telling about their rosie flicking.
Is it just mine, or do some of you have a G. rosea that'll kick urticating hairs at things?

pinkzebra

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
None of my rosies kick hairs. They may be skittish and moody at times but I have never had any flick hairs at me. 'Course I don't push them either...

Jen

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have one that kicked a good bit during her last rehousing. She's a bit grumpy in general and has also been known to throw up some lazy threat displays.

Skulnik

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
She's a bit grumpy in general and has also been known to throw up some lazy threat displays.
Yep, "lazy threat displays" is a great way to put it. Mine likes to give me the butt-in-the-air effect a lot and occasionally slowly lifts her front legs, but never kicks.

xjak3yx

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
the only time ive seen my rosea flick hairs is when she was in premoult and i chucked a cricket in (not knowing she was in premoult) so she flicked hairs at the cricket and killed it lol

desertdweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
LOL to the kicking pre-molt rosea! Roses are such a trip. I have never heard of one kicking and mine sound lots like the other. Moody as all get out and stand offish. Mine thinks she is the queen! Not a kicker but throws up those front feet whenever she feels like it, which is most of the time. Unless, of course, when she wants her own way, like at feeding time. Then she is a dear. Just like a two year-old. LOL

DMTWI

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Nope, no hair drama with my rosie. :razz: She either walks away or comes over to investigate when I'm in her little kingdom changing water, cleaning, etc....

gambite

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Mine was very nice when I got her, but for the last few months she has been very cranky. She kicked hairs at me once a week ago when I thought she was feeling better. She is molting at this very moment, so I guess that explains it. I hope she calms down after this molt.

penny'smom

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Only when really P.O.'d. Then, mainly at the crickets I offer her once a month, just in case she should actually want to eat. :rolleyes:

fartkowski

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
None of my rosie's kick.
I think it's because they don't want to mess up their hair.:)

arachnophoria

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Mine doesn't readily,but will if she is moody and one prods her.She is the nicest semi-semi trustworthy T I have....ok she is the ONLY one I can't say is safe or not safe to handle or do unprotected enclosure maintanence.Everyone else is cut and dry,but the rosea...she's a tricky gal;)

spartybassoon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nah, mine doesn't kick, it just straight up bites. It kicked once before a molt, but that was it. It bites the paintbrush nearly every time, though.

Pink-Poodle88

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My first tarantula was a grammostola rosea that I bought when I was 7. Over the years I've acquired quite a few of them, and none of them have kicked hairs or ever showed any defensive signs at all, and I handle them on an almost daily basis. The same goes for grammostola aureostriata.

josh_cloud

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
mine doesn't kick or threaten at all, my son's is another story. it kicks, flicks, bites and strikes......all around meanie.

Twitch Boy

Arachnopeon
Mine tends to bite at first contact with the brush (probably thinking it's food,) then may or may not throw up a weak-sauce threat display. I come back in 30 minutes and pat her on the behind with the brush, and she marches along as if resigned to her fate.

Never had a hair-kicking, though.

Strix

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
So far mine hasn't kicked up hairs but she has slowly raised her back leg to her abdomen when I was prodding for her to get into a holding container when I had my ant problem (I don't blame her though, stupid ants :8o )

The only time I ever had her bite was when one of my dubia's drowned himself in the water and i used tweezers to dangle it in front of her this morning to see if she would take it. She grabbed it and happily started making a food mat and is still chowing down on him. {D

-Sarah-

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My adult has never kicked hairs, neither has my little one. They seem to be pretty easy-going, aside from the rare, half-hearted threat poses that they never follow through with :D The first and last time she ever gave a threat pose, I just gently cupped my hand over her and brushed her front legs, and she shrunk down into a little frightened furball.

-Sarah

cabal

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My little rosie sling has kicked hairs at me one time.

smof

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
My rosie has never kicked at me but I've only had her about 3 weeks. She is quite skittish tho. My housemate has a rosie who's really chilled out and good for handling, but when he's had enough of being manhandled he likes to let us know with a lazy but lengthy kicking spree. Not enough to give himself a bald patch but enough to let us know he wants to be put down :p