My Roaches

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
This may sound corny but I think it is so cool that people find an interest and go with it like this. I mean in the culture with live in, roaches are bad and scary, then some people get interested in them and the perception turns into thinking almost everybody else is, hate to say it, but ignorant and sort of brainwashed about roaches and about so many other things, worrying about being judged, too bad so many feel that way imo. I'm not saying I don't have my problems, just sayin!
Not corny at all, and I totally agree! :) I'm glad there are so many Blatticulturists nowadays, people who can see past the negative stigma associated with cockroaches as a whole, and appreciate them for what they are; fascinating creatures worthy of our respect. :D Same goes for all of the other invertebrate keeping hobbyists too! ;)

I'm lucky enough to come from a family who loves animals and is very tolerant of my interests, and who don't judge them either! The same can't be said for a lot of people though, so they keep themselves from forming their own opinions, from being themselves, and mold themselves into what they perceive as "acceptable", or "normal" to society. :( As long as what you are doing doesn't hurt anyone, and won't really affect people's lives in a very negative way, then I think you should just be free to be yourself, no matter what!

Last edited:

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm lucky enough to come from a family who loves animals and is very tolerant of my interests, and who don't judge them either! The same can't be said for a lot of people though, so they keep themselves from forming their own opinions, from being themselves, and mold themselves into what they perceive as "acceptable", or "normal" to society. :( As long as what you are doing doesn't hurt anyone, and won't really affect people's lives in a very negative way, then I think you should just be free to be yourself, no matter what!

AAAAAAA ......meeeeeeen. It's true. Most people I know that like inverts, snakes, amphibians, fish, things like that. In general, the people I have known are individuals that do think for themselves and know who they are. They have been, in general, less wishy-washy. My parents have always been scared of all I was interested in but they let me keep those things anyway, they thought I'd grow out of it. My mom would even help me catch snakes in the house when they got out, strange for a clean freak but she also knew she didn't want to step on it in the middle of the night. Well, it's been several decades since then. My dad is 81 and I was in his house recently. There was a little moth flying around in the kitchen. He looked at it and watched it for several seconds, then looked at me and as if shocked said, "There's a moth in here!" Haha, that was so weird to me, it was just a moth, seemed so separated from nature. I guess that's why they don't visit 'my' house.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
AAAAAAA ......meeeeeeen. It's true. Most people I know that like inverts, snakes, amphibians, fish, things like that. In general, the people I have known are individuals that do think for themselves and know who they are. They have been, in general, less wishy-washy. My parents have always been scared of all I was interested in but they let me keep those things anyway, they thought I'd grow out of it. My mom would even help me catch snakes in the house when they got out, strange for a clean freak but she also knew she didn't want to step on it in the middle of the night. Well, it's been several decades since then. My dad is 81 and I was in his house recently. There was a little moth flying around in the kitchen. He looked at it and watched it for several seconds, then looked at me and as if shocked said, "There's a moth in here!" Haha, that was so weird to me, it was just a moth, seemed so separated from nature. I guess that's why they don't visit 'my' house.
My mom is scared of some invertebrates for sure, (like my centipedes), but she still lets me keep just about anything, and is very supportive of me! (She draws the line at scorpions though, since one dropped down on her from the ceiling when she was in the shower and stung her...).

Haha that's odd, moths are fairly common indoor visitors here where I live, would never really be "surprised" to see one.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Anallacta methanoides:
Mating pair

Female laying ootheca

Lanxoblatta rudis:
Adult female

Adult male

Freshly molted adult male

Subadult female nymph

Corydiarum pygmaea:
Adult females and nymphs

Gyna centurio:
Adult female

Drymaplaneta semivitta:
Oothecae hatching

1st instar nymph

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Arenivaga floridensis "White":
Adult female

Paranauphoeta discoidalis:
Adults

Eurycotis improcera:
Hatchlings! :D

VolkswagenBug

Arachnobaron
Me too, they are the prettiest US native roaches in my collection IMO! :D Really hoping I'll see some babies in the enclosure soon!
I love white cockroaches a lot, so I definitely need some of those. Your Lanxoblatta rudis are also really pretty, never seen those before.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
I love white cockroaches a lot, so I definitely need some of those. Your Lanxoblatta rudis are also really pretty, never seen those before.
Hopefully the Arenivaga floridensis "White" will become more common in the hobby, though it may take a couple years, they are slow growers and not very prolific.

The Lanxoblatta are pretty new to the US hobby, so they aren't very well known yet. ;)

VolkswagenBug

Arachnobaron
Hopefully the Arenivaga floridensis "White" will become more common in the hobby, though it may take a couple years, they are slow growers and not very prolific.

The Lanxoblatta are pretty new to the US hobby, so they aren't very well known yet. ;)
I can't wait until they're more widespread! It's always hard to wait for cool arthropods to become available in the US when Europeans have them or when they were only recently introduced.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
I can't wait until they're more widespread! It's always hard to wait for cool arthropods to become available in the US when Europeans have them or when they were only recently introduced.
It is hard, but in the case of A.floridensis and the Lanxoblatta, we actually beat Europe to the punch! :p A.floridensis is native to Florida, and is only being cultured in the US, and the Lanxoblatta came from @wizentrop, who lives in Canada, and apparently no one in Europe has bought them yet.

The Lanxoblatta at least will probably be more readily available later this year, (especially from Wizentrop himself), the Arenivaga will take some time though.

pirminiamac

Arachnosquire
Wow! I had no idea there was so much choice in size, pattern and colours of roaches! Why am I just keeping 1type!? Thanks for posting this is a brilliant reference for people to use

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Wow! I had no idea there was so much choice in size, pattern and colours of roaches! Why am I just keeping 1type!? Thanks for posting this is a brilliant reference for people to use
Haha yeah, roaches are an extremely diverse group, there are well over 100 species being cultured now, and the number gets higher every year! :) A lot of people only know of the feeder species and Madagascan hissers, little do they know there are a LOT more species available.

pirminiamac

Arachnosquire
Haha yeah, roaches are an extremely diverse group, there are well over 100 species being cultured now, and the number gets higher every year! :) A lot of people only know of the feeder species and Madagascan hissers, little do they know there are a LOT more species available.
I'm in the UK and that seems to be the case. I've seen B Lateralis (red runners), B Dubia and very rarely P Nivea (banana roaches) I'm defo going to try and find some of the others you have posted here, I've heard a lot of conflicting information in regards to shipping from the US? It seems like a hassle

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
I'm in the UK and that seems to be the case. I've seen B Lateralis (red runners), B Dubia and very rarely P Nivea (banana roaches) I'm defo going to try and find some of the others you have posted here, I've heard a lot of conflicting information in regards to shipping from the US? It seems like a hassle
Actually, Europe has the highest diversity of roach species in culture, since you guys can import from wherever you want without permits. This site in particular seems like a good source for a wide variety of species. Zoo Centre is based in the UK, and also has a decent variety of roaches too.

pirminiamac

Arachnosquire
Thanks! I mostly buy from local breeders and nobody seems to carry roaches other than for feeders. im going to make some orders online soon! :)

Connectimyrmex

Arachnopeon
This journal is awesome!
I didn't know that Corididarum nymphs looked just like the adult females!
Are Corididarium & Lanxoblatta roaches subterranean species? (Like dubias & Gyna) I've never really figured that out.