My Pokie died and I don't know why

Pokie11

Arachnosquire
Hello guys. Few months ago I decided to get my first Pokie (P. ornata), because I felt pretty confident, and I thought I had experience with arboreals (Avic, Psalmos, Tapis). She was really feisty all the time, and molted two times in my care. But, after her last molt (27th November) she wasn't eating that good as before. She completely stopped eating three weeks ago, and I assumed she is in premolt again, and stopped feeding her. I kept her waterdish full, and aprox. half of her substrate slightly moist, so she could have enough moisture.

Two days ago, I came home, and saw her in weird pose, which looked kinda like upright molting, so I left her molt peacefully. But yesterday I came home and saw that she hasn't made any progress, her legs were bend under her, but not really a death curl. I decided to carefully put her in ICU, as one if her leg was still slightly moving, and she wasn't completely dead. I checked on her today, and I think she passed away, because here was no movement whatsoever, and she was kinda stiff.

I flipped her, and noticed that there is something weird on her fangs and around mouth. I checked it with my currency microscope, and it looks like spider feces. No parasites or nematodes.

Do you have any ideas what I did wrong?? I don't want anything like this to happen again. I have never had a single death in three years I keep Ts, and I feel little disappointed after thins incident.

This is photo of her, when I flipped her today. She is dead, no movement, and she is stiff. I can post photo if enclosure later, when I come home, but it is same setup I keep all my arboreals in and I never had problem with it. Thanks for your responses. I feel really sad about this, cause she was my first Pokie, and I was really excited, when I got her. WP_20180115_19_46_53_Pro_LI.jpg

Last edited:

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
Sorry for your loss OP.
It's probably best you post pictures of the set up the T was in so people can try identify the problem...

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
While 3 years isn't long, I think some people can do it without a problem, just depends on the person.

Re: the T, it's entirely possible it wasn't meant to live, they don't all make it.

Pics of setup required. Maybe you kept it too moist, can't tell from reading.

Pokie11

Arachnosquire
Sorry for your loss OP.
It's probably best you post pictures of the set up the T was in so people can try identify the problem...
While 3 years isn't long, I think some people can do it without a problem, just depends on the person.

Re: the T, it's entirely possible it wasn't meant to live, they don't all make it.

Pics of setup required. Maybe you kept it too moist, can't tell from reading.
I will post photo as soon as I return home from school.
@viper69 yeah, 3 years is not a long time, but I thought it is enough time to gain a bit of experience about Ts

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I will post photo as soon as I return home from school.
@viper69 yeah, 3 years is not a long time, but I thought it is enough time to gain a bit of experience about Ts
3 yrs is enough time generally speaking, then again what constitutes experience is highly subjective.

Pokie11

Arachnosquire
@viper69 you are right, for ex. three years with only one T is not something you would gain a lot of experience from. But I felt pretty confident about getting a Pokie, cause I've already raised few arboreal and terrestrial sling to juvies and even adults (and 2 MM). Well, it is possible that she wasn't supposed to live, and she was weak, but I still feel really bad about it. I think it is possible that she got stucked in her molt.

basin79

ArachnoGod
It's truly horrendous losing a pet.

I've noticed there's a patch on the T's right leg 2nd from the front the same as around the fangs.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I don't think you did anything wrong, could've been impaction or a sucking stomach issue, either way there's not anything you could've done.

Sorry for your loss.

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
I completely agree with the Grym Reaper's comment above.

Young one (I can say that because I am 55), you have more experience than many on this board as far as time in the presence of T's. However, experience is not merely time doing something over a period of time, it is also dealing with circumstances such as you are presently. I had a friend who in constructive criticism once said to someone, "You don't have ten years experience, you have one year of experience ten times". He was telling the one to whom he was speaking that what was perceived as experience was not experience at all because it had never yielded situations from which actual learning could take place. I am very sorry for your loss, but you can take something positive away from a very negative situation, learn from those who will respond here who have gone through this, and use this REAL experience to help others in the future to deal with similar events, either by preventing, or helping them through them.

Pokie11

Arachnosquire
Thank you guys. I felt really terrible about this, but thanks to your supoortive and nice comments it is not that bad anymore. Even though it is not probably my fault that she died, I would still want to show you pictures of setup I kept her in, and you can tell me, if there is anything wrong with it. It has top ventilation (plastic mesh) and few holes are poked at each side for cross vent.

Attachments