My Philipene Blue Millipedes

Andee

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I only have a picture of Kiwi (my large male who allowed me to hold him tonight... he honestly is like so unworried didn't coil at all) and a poor picture of the smaller millipede next to him that I am not sure of gender or personality etc. Kiwi is relatively at home in my hand considering I tried to put him back (without picking up) multiple times and he just cruised, i eventually had to pick him up and place him the enclosure. They ALL love the substrate from the looks of it, eating good amounts from some the the poop that has already accumulated, and digging tunnels galore. First day this guys have become topside. So they stayed down over 24 hours, but these two seemed to have adjusted relatively quickly.

Kiwi and no name.jpg

Happy millis make me smile. I have to get a good picture of his face next time <3 so sweet and soft.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Glad you got them at last! Mine are very blue but I can never capture that in a photo. :confused:

Andee

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Yeah @Elytra and Antenna was so amazing about holding onto a group of 4 (ended up buying another because I had the extra money) for a couple months while I slowly gathered money towards them and made sure I tried to make the soil as perfect as possible. I like to think they are all happy, since they spend very little time up on top. I saw them at most for an hour or two last night and they regularly dug down and came back up. Happy <3 They are all doing great and Orin was so wonderful to send some jelly pots as well which I have tons of insects and a few reptiles who are enjoying them.

Andee

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
New pictures 8D I met some new faces tonight from the group. None of the tiny two have come put but from what Orin has told me that means my soil is good and they are doing well likely.

So I have met the larger three, there is Kiwi my male (a bit short and chubbier with peachoer pale colors), Cherry aka Cherry Pie (my fatter and medium length female, a beautiful charcoal black but also a bit more uncomfortable with handling just from her postures and such so I will definitely let her settle in longer before bothering again at all), and I have Melon (super long but thinner of my larger three and is female, she is a light grey with a lot of metallic sheen compared to the other two). I only have new pics of Kiwi and Melon

Kiwi face :
20170901_225705.jpg
Gimme a bit to upload Melon internet hates... .___.

Andee

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Finally pictures of the Melon baby<3
Melon.jpg

Melong Face.jpg

What I hope is I will still be able to tell them apart when they grow up, but honestly I don't mind if I can't, I feel like their personalities are distinct enough already in my mind that I should be able to, but they don't mind if I mess up XD

Andee

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I saw one of the smaller pedes but I only ever see them on the side of the keeper currently as they are making new tunnels. Power eaters these guys for sure o_O they show no interest of the supplemental foods I have offered, even the cucumbers and I am not sure if that's because they are new or not, but they eat the substrate like crazy so at least I know they are eating well ^^

Andee

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Extremely well. I actually am thinking about replacing some soil and putting new stuff in a week or so. They will need to be rehome probably in a month or two. The amount they are eating is AMAZING. Both supplemental and soil. I check on them regularly every night, and I have held them a couple times since the first few times. I don't push but they have all opened up hugely <3 beautiful little souls

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Yes! They are eating and grass making machines.

Andee

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Wanted to update, next week I am buying heat pads but also going to start looking at a forever bin for my blues. They have gotten FAT and are finally active after the cool down with the winter (I made sure no drops below 65) now they are back to being chow hounds.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
I've been seeing eggs for a few months but haven't seen pedelings yet. They are pretty stealthy when they are in their first two instars.

My enclosure is about 36" x 18" x 15". The substrate is about 7" deep. I have around 15 adults and probably lots of pedelings. I keep side heat on mine. I sprinkle fresh decayed wood and leaf litter every few weeks.

They are very active at night but not so much in the day. It seems adults are more active when pedelings are present and mine have become more active in the last few months. I've noticed this with several species.

Andee

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Mind are definitely a nocturnal species compared to the Narceus who are just active 100% all the time just randomly go down for naps or prolonged times for molts I assume. What size to the blues start breeding? Don't they become sexually mature and breed before they hit their top size?

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Mind are definitely a nocturnal species compared to the Narceus who are just active 100% all the time just randomly go down for naps or prolonged times for molts I assume. What size to the blues start breeding? Don't they become sexually mature and breed before they hit their top size?
Orin would be better at answering this, but mine are 5" and about 4 years old. I think they only live about 8 years and the ones I see breeding are not always the largest in the enclosure, so I would guess yes, they get larger after they breed.