My Petco Sells Emperor Scorpions? What? Please Read

AngelDeVille

Fuk Da Meme Police
one of my local claims to have dictators for $59.99........

There are two other locations I may try to call....

gottacontra

Arachnopeon
Last I heard Emperor Scorpions were near impossible to find, and if found, VERY expensive. I just bought 2 Small ones, about 2 inches long at my local Petco for $25 each. And they’re definitely Emperors too, not Asian Forest. Are emperors a common thing again? Or did I just get an extremely lucky find?
After reading this thread, I called my local Petco and sure enough they had a couple of them. I wanted a female, as I already have a male. It was hard to get a good look at the store, but looked like a female. I get home and looks more like a male. Thoughts?

Attachments

AngelDeVille

Fuk Da Meme Police
After reading this thread, I called my local Petco and sure enough they had a couple of them. I wanted a female, as I already have a male. It was hard to get a good look at the store, but looked like a female. I get home and looks more like a male. Thoughts?
That looks female to me, but I do better looking at two side by side for comparison.

I’m heading to a local petco later today just to see...

But it’s not the location that claimed to have dictators...

one of my local claims to have dictators for $59.99........

There are two other locations I may try to call....

gottacontra

Arachnopeon
That looks female to me, but I do better looking at two side by side for comparison.

I’m heading to a local petco later today just to see...

But it’s not the location that claimed to have dictators...
Yeah, I called a couple of petcos first. One didn’t have any and the other had two. Price was $30.

AngelDeVille

Fuk Da Meme Police
Yeah, I called a couple of petcos first. One didn’t have any and the other had two. Price was $30.
The shop I just visited had 2. Definitely Pandinus. imperator.....

I was able to sex the larger of the 2 as male, the second smaller was feisty and I was unable to sex.

They had reptiles 50% off today, and luckily scorpions are reptiles.... got both for $32 and change out the door.

Larger male...

Smaller unsexed...

NYAN

Arachnoking
I went to petco today and have true apparently captive bread emperors for $26. They are younger however.

AngelDeVille

Fuk Da Meme Police
When I bought mine Saturday they were in the typical Petco swampy enclosure with 10-15 crickets roaming freely, so I assumed they wouldn't be hungry.

They each took down an adult dubia instantly last night. I really should have made a video...

Alex99

Arachnosquire
I called 3 of my closest petcos and none of them had any ): I'm wondering if it's just the west coast that has them because the east is dry lol.

NYAN

Arachnoking
I called 3 of my closest petcos and none of them had any ): I'm wondering if it's just the west coast that has them because the east is dry lol.
I would order from a private seller. Don’t give those awful corporations money for animals please

Nasty Nate

Arachnopeon
My local petco only carries the rose hair tarantulas. I have to order the emperor scorpions. Was kinda bummed to hear that.

Cowturtle

Arachnopeon
Just found one at a petco in Kentucky for $30 that's the cheapest I've seen them anywhere locally reptile shows have them for around $50. I've seen them on wholesalers lists for $35-45.

Attachments

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
They are selling Pandius Dictator at my petco for 69.99
The odds are that they are not dictators. P. dictator is extremely rare in the hobby but many dealers and stores sold imperator as dictator. So unfortunately, many out there think they have dictator but they don't. Dictator is much harder to find than imperator. Emails, Youtube, Pinterest, ...I know of only 2 others that have true dictator. I know others do but they keep a low internet profile. Dictator is very rare, research, don't be fooled. The trend is that just because somebody works at a pet store, it's assumed they know but it's best not to assume that.

kingofall

Arachnosquire
The odds are that they are not dictators. P. dictator is extremely rare in the hobby but many dealers and stores sold imperator as dictator. So unfortunately, many out there think they have dictator but they don't. Dictator is much harder to find than imperator. Emails, Youtube, Pinterest, ...I know of only 2 others that have true dictator. I know others do but they keep a low internet profile. Dictator is very rare, research, don't be fooled. The trend is that just because somebody works at a pet store, it's assumed they know but it's best not to assume that.
How can you tell whether or not it's a dictator? The one I saw was a dark greenish blue color.

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
How can you tell whether or not it's a dictator? The one I saw was a dark greenish blue color.
As far as I know P.dictator is smaller than P. Imperator 140mm as opposed to 200mm. P.dictator is blacker than very dark brown/blackish of imperator. Pectine tooth count is less on P. dictator. If it's being advertised as P. dictator then it more than likely is not. P.dictator comes from a very small area of the Cameroon and hence is very rare.

Snakewoman

Arachnopeon
I'm late to the thread but yes Emperors were very hard to find for a while because they could no longer be imported. That's what I heard anyway. I remember they went for about 10 bucks at the local reptile show before they became scarce and now that they're back they go for about 50 bucks.

MantidMaster

Arachnophile
Old Timer
Just bought a big female "Dictator" Scorpion from PetCo, hopefully it is what is advertised, which is highly unlikely. However, reasonably priced Pandinus is reasonably priced Pandinus ;)

(by reasonably priced I mean 30 dollars)

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
As far as I know P.dictator is smaller than P. Imperator 140mm as opposed to 200mm. P.dictator is blacker than very dark brown/blackish of imperator. Pectine tooth count is less on P. dictator. If it's being advertised as P. dictator then it more than likely is not. P.dictator comes from a very small area of the Cameroon and hence is very rare.
I think that they’re also regulated by CITES so exports would probably be very rare and illegal. I recently read an article about someone who got busted trying to export some to France.