1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Petco Sells Emperor Scorpions? What? Please Read

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by Kade135, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Kade135

Kade135 Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    Last I heard Emperor Scorpions were near impossible to find, and if found, VERY expensive. I just bought 2 Small ones, about 2 inches long at my local Petco for $25 each. And they’re definitely Emperors too, not Asian Forest. Are emperors a common thing again? Or did I just get an extremely lucky find?

2. THR

THR Arachnosquire

Not only here in US, so is back in China. It seems that the number of wild pandinus is in decrease, prices are doubled or even tripled.

3. ianhunt

ianhunt Arachnopeon

Here in philippines emp scorpions are not so difficult to find due to overbreeding.

4. Sarkhan42

Sarkhan42 Arachnobaron

I would say it’s a bit of both. I recently picked up 2 slings for the same price that were captive bred, and I’ve seen a good amount of them
    Offered up here and there so it seems like there may have been a few successful breedings all at once. That being said, finding them at a petco is certainly some good luck!

5. AnimalNewbie

AnimalNewbie Arachnobaron Active Member

You sure there emperors and not heterometrus species.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. NYAN

NYAN Arachnoangel Active Member

CA
    If you can get good pics and post them here, they will be IDed. I’ve seen emperors at petco also and they go for $50+. $25 is closer to Asian forest scorpion price than emperor, however someone on here got emperors once being sold as Asian forest scorpions are petco.

7. Kade135

Kade135 Arachnopeon

Here’s one of them. I may have mistaken it, might not be an emperor, but definitely Pandinus something...

Attached Files:

8. Kade135

Kade135 Arachnopeon

I posted pictures above ^

9. NYAN

CA
    Looks like Pandius to me.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Kade135

Kade135 Arachnopeon

But Imperator or Dictator?

11. NYAN

CA
    My guess is imperator because its petco. However I don’t know enough to tell the difference.

12. Galapoheros

Galapoheros ArachnoGod Old Timer

texas
    Yeah that's imperator. I have imperators and asked Petco if they were willing to buy from me some day. They said they don't buy from individuals "that way", whatever that means. I suppose a person has to fill out some paperwork for petco in order to sell to them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Nicole

Nicole Arachnosquire Old Timer

FL
    They are CB imperator from a large colony built after the import ban went into effect. Just recently the colony is producing enough that they are widely available in quantity, hence the retail price drop. For a long time the stores only had spare males but now juveniles of both sexes are available. Basically, emperors are back, but this time they are captive bred.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. CWilson1351

CWilson1351 Arachnobaron

I've been seeing them locally as well. Though here in "Tax-achussetts" they go for $80 each. Luckily I already have some so I don't have to spend that much.

15. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Arachno HoneyBadger Arachnosupporter

ABQ
    I need to stay away from petco...

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Tonydog

Tonydog Arachnopeon

Ca
    I'm new to the Hobby so I could be wrong but don't emperor scorpion have red Stingers the one in the picture looks like it's white

17. Lithobius

Lithobius Arachnosquire

I wonder if the "Asian Forest Scorpions" at PetSmart are emperors with this sudden boom of ACTUAL emperors. It might be worth checking next time I'm there.

18. CWilson1351

CWilson1351 Arachnobaron

When younger Pandinus imperator have a white stinger (telson) it turns red as they mature.

19. Tonydog

Tonydog Arachnopeon

Ca
    O ok thanks for the info didn't know that . :)

• Like Like x 1
  20. Nicole

Nicole Arachnosquire Old Timer

FL
    I wouldn't count on it. Petsmart's vendors wouldn't substitute a scorpion with a wholesale cost 3-5 times that of Asian Forests. They would be selling at cost at best, but most likely at a loss if they did.