My Petco Sells Emperor Scorpions? What? Please Read

Kade135

Arachnopeon
Last I heard Emperor Scorpions were near impossible to find, and if found, VERY expensive. I just bought 2 Small ones, about 2 inches long at my local Petco for $25 each. And they’re definitely Emperors too, not Asian Forest. Are emperors a common thing again? Or did I just get an extremely lucky find?

THR

Arachnosquire
Not only here in US, so is back in China. It seems that the number of wild pandinus is in decrease, prices are doubled or even tripled.

ianhunt

Arachnopeon
Here in philippines emp scorpions are not so difficult to find due to overbreeding.

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
Last I heard Emperor Scorpions were near impossible to find, and if found, VERY expensive. I just bought 2 Small ones, about 2 inches long at my local Petco for $25 each. And they’re definitely Emperors too, not Asian Forest. Are emperors a common thing again? Or did I just get an extremely lucky find?
I would say it’s a bit of both. I recently picked up 2 slings for the same price that were captive bred, and I’ve seen a good amount of them
Offered up here and there so it seems like there may have been a few successful breedings all at once. That being said, finding them at a petco is certainly some good luck!

NYAN

Arachnoking
If you can get good pics and post them here, they will be IDed. I’ve seen emperors at petco also and they go for $50+. $25 is closer to Asian forest scorpion price than emperor, however someone on here got emperors once being sold as Asian forest scorpions are petco.

Kade135

Arachnopeon
If you can get good pics and post them here, they will be IDed. I’ve seen emperors at petco also and they go for $50+. $25 is closer to Asian forest scorpion price than emperor, however someone on here got emperors once being sold as Asian forest scorpions are petco.
I posted pictures above ^

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah that's imperator. I have imperators and asked Petco if they were willing to buy from me some day. They said they don't buy from individuals "that way", whatever that means. I suppose a person has to fill out some paperwork for petco in order to sell to them.

Nicole

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
They are CB imperator from a large colony built after the import ban went into effect. Just recently the colony is producing enough that they are widely available in quantity, hence the retail price drop. For a long time the stores only had spare males but now juveniles of both sexes are available. Basically, emperors are back, but this time they are captive bred.

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
I've been seeing them locally as well. Though here in "Tax-achussetts" they go for $80 each. Luckily I already have some so I don't have to spend that much.

Tonydog

Arachnopeon
Here’s one of them. I may have mistaken it, might not be an emperor, but definitely Pandinus something...
I'm new to the Hobby so I could be wrong but don't emperor scorpion have red Stingers the one in the picture looks like it's white

Lithobius

Arachnosquire
I wonder if the "Asian Forest Scorpions" at PetSmart are emperors with this sudden boom of ACTUAL emperors. It might be worth checking next time I'm there.

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
I'm new to the Hobby so I could be wrong but don't emperor scorpion have red Stingers the one in the picture looks like it's white
When younger Pandinus imperator have a white stinger (telson) it turns red as they mature.

Nicole

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I wonder if the "Asian Forest Scorpions" at PetSmart are emperors with this sudden boom of ACTUAL emperors. It might be worth checking next time I'm there.
I wouldn't count on it. Petsmart's vendors wouldn't substitute a scorpion with a wholesale cost 3-5 times that of Asian Forests. They would be selling at cost at best, but most likely at a loss if they did.