My OBT is Very Rude

MorrowHorror

Arachnopeon
So I may have annoyed my OBT last night when moving the cap I use for water that he hides under. So hes taken to webbing up the enclosure lid where i typically open it and I am at a complete loss. I'm anxious to open it even from the other side because I've seen how fast he can be when he wants but I need him to move off the lid.

Attachments

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Do you have a hide for it? It is hard to see in the picture. Its very important to have a hide for fast, defenssive spiders vith potent venom, especially as a beginner! If it has a hide if most likely retreats if disturbed! This will make your life much easier! How many tarantulas have you had before this one? They should gave a hide despite if one is a beginner or not? I also noticed that the enclosure looks like a little big for that size spider.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Eventually the spider will return down under. Mind, this is a species that is incredibly fearful (I'm not joking). Just that this species reacts to fear (perceived fear) with a very nervous and 'crazy' attitude - unlike H.gigas and P.muticus that 'holds their ground' like Sumo fighters.

Btw how you can be so sure about the sex? Do you have inspected the exuvia, by chance? Maybe is a female :kiss:

MorrowHorror

Arachnopeon
Do you have a hide for it? It is hard to see in the picture. Its very important to have a hide for fast, defenssive spiders vith potent venom, especially as a beginner! If it has a hide if most likely retreats if disturbed! This will make your life much easier! How many tarantulas have you had before this one? They should gave a hide despite if one is a beginner or not? I also noticed that the enclosure looks like a little big for that size spider.
Ive had a handful of tarantulas before this one with no issue, because of his size he chose to hide under his water dish, but when I moved it he went running around and chose to stay there. He has a whole burrow I made for him actually.

MorrowHorror

Arachnopeon
Eventually the spider will return down under. Mind, this is a species that is incredibly fearful (I'm not joking). Just that this species reacts to fear (perceived fear) with a very nervous and 'crazy' attitude - unlike H.gigas and P.muticus that 'holds their ground' like Sumo fighters.

Btw how you can be so sure about the sex? Do you have inspected the exuvia, by chance? Maybe is a female :kiss:
I'm not entirely sure but I've taken to just calling them a he until proven otherwise lol. Theyre too small for me to sex them right now.

CJJon

Arachnokrólewicz
It really does need a hide of some sort. A chunk of cork bark in one corner is good. It will dig it's own hide/web it up. Just crack the lid and give it a little poke with something soft (I use a piece of 100lb fishing mono-filament) to get it to move away from the lid and then cup the T and place the hide and put the T back. Sometimes they just like to web the lid. Constant gentle nudging and trimming of the web may help deter, but sometimes not.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Aa soon as you crack the lid, it will do one of two things - Hunker down, or run back to where it hides. It really isn't a problem, especially since you don't need to open the enclosure for another week or two.

"Oversized" enclosures aren't a problem for P. murinus. And the added space gives you a little room to work away from the spider.

Forget about the water bowl for now. Just crack an edge of rhe lid open and spritz or dribble in some water.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Forget about the water bowl for now. Just crack an edge of rhe lid open and spritz or dribble in some water.
Agree. All my Pterinochilus spiders show about much interest in the water in dishes as they would a wilted lettuce leaf.

CrazyDane

Arachnopeon
Its just Being an obt but add more photos of cage is the substrate dry

Last edited:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Don't forget that since recently the new common name is 'Orange Bob', in sum Pterinochilus murinus is basically the eight legged counterpart of Alfred E. Neuman :bored:

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You mean polite in "i am just little angry at you for messing with my water" or polite in "well mister, let me cook your spaghetti tonight"?:angelic:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
You mean polite in "i am just little angry at you for messing with my water" or polite in "well mister, let me cook your spaghetti tonight"?:angelic:
Mean that they are nowhere near the "crazy/devil/etc" buggers people make them out to be :)

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I guess mine was polite. I had to use tongs to punch through his webbing so I could refill his water dish -- mine DID drink from his.

Mine was polite (overall) though he would sort of 'jump' up to catch prey, and I swear I felt his legs brush me (or at least a rush of air) when he grabbed something I was dropping in (yeah, with bare fingers).
I only comment because mine was in a similar looking acrylic juvie enclosure until 2+ inches. I still remember the excitement of opening the lid and him rushing up to catch the prey.
Mine had a burrow, but knew when a food drop was coming and didn't know what retreat meant. Luckily, I never had an escape. Uh... good luck?