1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My O. schioedtei has... disappeared?!?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by boina, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Theneil

Theneil Arachnodemon Active Member

USA
    Advertisement
    Does anybody else have unsupervised access that may have opened the enclosure?

• Like Like x 1
  2. boina

boina Lady of the mites Arachnosupporter

Germany
    No, I live alone. Anyone that stops by tends to stay away from the enclosures...

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Chris LXXIX

Chris LXXIX Arachnoemperor Active Member

If this can bring a bit of comfort to you, I've lived for months with a S.subspinipes (!!!) on the loose, near me, my bed, everywhere, and my cats that are free to go where they want, day and night :)

The funny details:

A) That lovely unsexed brat was a little (yet bitey) pedeling like his brothers and sisters, just that somehow was smart than me (I've captured and later shipped the others) and he/she survived pretty well, for that last time we (one of my cats was present) spotted the bugger, was already a quite long 'pede crawling out of the main door with a true saucy attitude. Had almost tears from the laughs, I will never forgot that night :hilarious:

B) No one was bitten, simply because he/she acted as a pure Solid Snake/Ninja on many legs all the time... I think that the bugger was surprised as well to spot us, that day.

C) Best of luck, always :kiss:

• Love Love x 1
  4. Ultum4Spiderz

Ultum4Spiderz Arachnoking Active Member

Full grown ? Could it squeeze out the lid or teleport during maintenance?
    It would take 10-20 dubia to eat a dead T and would be have to starving. Unless you use orange head roaches it’s very unlikely.
    Ts are escaping artists sorry for you loss hope she’s still Slovenia how long has she’s been gone?
    Escaped

5. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnoreaper Arachnosupporter

We're potentially talking several months, 1 dubia plus the clean up crew chipping in and it's not that unlikely in the slightest, dubia eat their nymphs/injured/dead and males are known to take chunks out of each other, I've said this repeatedly and everyone goes on like I'm mental for saying it, why the hell does everyone seem to think they're completely harmless?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Ultum4Spiderz

What a type of clean up crew I still don’t have any but a few springtails wich keep going in my lp water dish.
    I’ve witnessed dubia eating each other so yeah possible in a month .

7. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnoreaper Arachnosupporter

I'm assuming springtails but possibly isopods as well. In any case, between springtails and one roach I'd reckon they do a T in fairly short time as springtail numbers would boom until the food source runs out before dwindling again, I'm honestly just hoping it's done a Hiro somewhere but roaches (even dubia) will eat pretty much anything given the chance.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. boina

Germany
    Springtails and the small tropical isopods as well. And there were plenty when I took the enclosure apart....

Thank you for that reassurance! I've read that story before but you are right, it does apply...:hilarious:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Sad Sad x 1
  9. Patherophis

Patherophis Arachnosquire

Slovakia
    I think that case is solved :)
    When one of my Archispirostreptus gigas died, these isopods hollowed it almost completely in quite short time, so they would have no problem to turn even grown spider into few pieces of empty exosceleton, especially given the time they had for it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Ultum4Spiderz

Isopods definitely can be carnivores, you seen how massive ocean ones are?:cat:
    Tho they don’t prey on molting Ts right? Probably it or no One would use em, image a dead or dying T is fair game .

• Like Like x 1
  11. draconisj4

draconisj4 Arachnoknight Active Member

That explains it then, your T must have died and the cleanup crew ate it. I have a colony of dwarf white isopods I give my unwanted feeders to and it's almost frightening how fast they make them disappear, nothing left except a few bits of chitin. Scary little critters.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  12. Mirandarachnid

Mirandarachnid Arachnoknight

Texas
    Never trust an isopod :punch:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  13. Ultum4Spiderz

I watched discovery or nat geo once a small sharks was eaten by a underwater isopod . They were in some sorta cage thing , I’m sure you can easily google it.:dead:

14. crone

crone Arachnoangel Active Member

Do you live with anybody who'd let/get the cage open?

Posted last. Agree that your T probably died and your isopods did the job .
    Sorry that your T died, but at least you and your cats are safe.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  15. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

Isn't this your 2nd escape in like a month?? :wideyed:

16. boina

Germany
    I don't think it actually escaped... I'm pretty sure it died.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

Ahh..sorry to read!

18. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

The roach had been there for a month...what y'all think that roach was living on?

Spider buffet. It had a month to completely finish the job....a roach can consume anything organic.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Dorifto

Dorifto Arachnopeon Active Member

If some organic waste is left in the enclosure, the springtails will take care of it.

My Geniculata left a partially digested roach on the enclosure. Next day were hundreds of spingtail feeding on the roach. I less than a week nothing was left.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Venomgland

Venomgland Arachnosquire Active Member

Georgia
    I just found out last night that tarantulas can push those white tops off the 1 gallon walmart clear jugs. I was watching tv last night and my Chilobrachys dyscolus was running across my living room floor. To be fair I didn't know it had gotten that big! I never see it. Last I saw it. it was about 1.5 inches. Now its pushing 4.

I never screwed the lids on cause it disturbs the spiders taking them off when I go to feed them. Well now they are all screwed on about 1/2 way..