My new T. Lasiodora parahybana "Stella"

BCscorp

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hello everyone, I have a new T. in addition to my Chilean Rose. I got a L. parahybana at a local petshop yesterday. I think its a female, and shes about 4-5 inches legspan spread out. I have her in a critter keeper for abit until I get a 20gal next week. Substrate is coconut fibre really moist right now but not waterlogged. As you can see in the pic from the rear she flicked herself bald on the way home. I read here and elsewhere a hide isnt necessary for L. parahybana but i thought she'd be a little stressed and might appreciate it. So far she seems to be chillin in the hide in the day and coming out in the evening. I'm going to get some crickets today and start the feeding! Any tips or suggestions??
Heres the link to my pics....
http://s219.photobucket.com/albums/cc30/BCscorp/

Last edited:

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nice T. However, keep it setup more like your G. rosea. I would ditch the rocks, they could fall and hurt it. It would really love a flower pot hide...Also, substrate i keep fairly dry for this species, especially at larger sizes. Just make sure it has a full water dish at all times and your good to go.
-Nate

BCscorp

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks for the tips...pretty much what I was planning on doing with the aquarium next week. The rocks are solidly in place too, although they will be gone too. I like pots better. Will post pics in pics category when the new setup is ready.

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks for the tips...pretty much what I was planning on doing with the aquarium next week. The rocks are solidly in place too, although they will be gone too. I like pots better. Will post pics in pics category when the new setup is ready.
Excellent. Your really going to enjoy this species i guarantee it :) Its one of my favorites...
Good luck :)
Nate

jeff1962

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If I were you I would save some money and get a 10 gallon. That would be plenty big enough for that spider. Even whens its full grown. :)

BCscorp

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Are you sure about the 10gal being adequate size for the beast I'm gonna grow? lol...If so I will use it. I am also looking into acrylic to see if its inexpensive enough to build a tank. Thanks for the tips!!! cya

Last edited:

spartybassoon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yes, a 10 gallon is fine. IMO, no tarantula needs more than that. They just don't need the room to run around like other animals do - since they are small animals that have terrible vision, its in their best interest to stay put unless hunting.