My new sling is being weird....

iluvcarrots1120

Arachnopeon
I recently re-housed my sling since the homw it came with from the pet shop was a lil too small for an almost inch sling. But this guy is doing something weird and it's been about 10 hours or so since I moved it in. So it climbs up the wall then sticks out its leg out of the air holes?? I'm kinda new to tarantulas. I don't know if it's trying to escape or if it's hungry, or it's too humid? The people at the pet shop didn't mention when they last fed this guy. They mention that it was shipped to them 2 or 3 days ago so I'm not sure...

Attachments

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Of course it wants to escape. :p

But as long as the holes aren't too big (that an actual escape is possible) and there're no sharp edges or bits, it's nothing to worry about. Most of my Ts are sticking their feet out now and then. I think it's rather cute. Sometimes I give them a "high five", it's the closest I ever came to "handling" them. :rofl:

HighFivex.jpg

Edit:
What species is your sling? That enclosure looks a bit like an arboreal enclosure, but the spider doesn't look like it, I think. Maybe it's indeed a bit too moist. Can't tell from the pictures unfortunately.

Last edited:

boina

Lady of the mites
What species is this??

That's the big question, of course. It looks really moist in there but nobody can tell you if that is good or bad if you don't tell us the species!

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
Although it's hard to tell.
The sling looks tiny and the holes look a little big.
I wouldn't be able to sleep at night.

iluvcarrots1120

Arachnopeon
Of course it wants to escape. :p

But as long as the holes aren't too big (that an actual escape is possible) and there're no sharp edges or bits, it's nothing to worry about. Most of my Ts are sticking their feet out now and then. I think it's rather cute. Sometimes I give them a "high five", it's the closest I ever came to "handling" them. :rofl:

View attachment 272515

Edit:
What species is your sling? That enclosure looks a bit like an arboreal enclosure, but the spider doesn't look like it, I think. Maybe it's indeed a bit too moist. Can't tell from the pictures unfortunately.
It's a Brachypelma albopilosum and I watched many tutorials and they said to keep the bottom part of the substrate moist so when I transferred it, I added a little more water on the bottom substrate.

Jhawk023

Arachnopeon
Just hot glue screen over the holes the slings pretty small to have such big air holes you run the risk of breaking legs or possible escape. I generally make the holes in my enclosures pretty small as I try to avoid those issues.

scott99

Arachnoknight
Seems pretty normal to me, I wouldn't worry about too much. At one point, one of my T's would stick her fangs though the air holds on her enclosure and leave fang mark on the outside of it.

Dovey

Arachnobaron
I put my money on the fact that your holes are just fine. That sling looks pretty chubby, and the holes are not as big as the outside of the circle.

On the other hand, having recently been down on my hands and knees with a flashlight under my bed, having recently been on top of a step ladder with a flashlight and top of my closet, I wouldn't wish that on anybody. If in doubt, fix it.

But I'm betting if you just feed that sling like a doting mother, you'll be fine. I might add a little more substrate. My albopilosum loves to dig. And it is also a wanderer. I'll let it out of its little interim habitat for a run around the bed, and it never ever wants to go back in. It's a phase when they're small. When they settle into the habitat, there's less of this "let me out of here" action.

So yeah, I say the holes are fine, but I'm not the one that has to chase down the spider if I'm wrong. You decide! You're the one who's got boots on the ground and can see what the situation truly is. Photographs can be very misleading.

SnappyMantid

Arachnopeon
The holes look completely fine! He probably feels like a prisoner at the moment. It'll take time to ajust, and Ts like to be free! I take my spiders for 'walks' and let them stretch. They still sometimes stick their legs out! I used to think my spiders were word too. Even the jumpers did it!

Sana

Arachnoprince
A tarantula can go through any opening that the carapace will fit through. The carapace is the only part of a tarantula that isn’t bizarrely soft and malleable.

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
Thinking its just feeling out the environment, testing any weaknesses (like vent holes) to see if they're a means of an exit.