My new kids

i_like_scorps

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Sorry the pics aren't the best. I took them with my camera phone so I'll take better ones later. However, I purchased two new scorps today at the Reptile Expo in Salt Lake City, UT. I got a Desert Hairy Scorpion (Hadrurus arizonensis) and I broke down and baught a gorgous Emperor. It is about 3 inches from chelicerae to the end of the mesosoma and the Hairy is about 2.5 inches from chelicerae to the end of the mesosoma. In the pic the Emp is hiding in a partially made burrow but you can see its face and chela. As soon as I got home I threw a grasshopper in with the hairy and he took it immediately and began eating. The Emp walked around the enclosure a few times and went right into the burrow.

Here is the Hadrurus arizonensis:

Here is the emperor:

emmille

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
wow

aren't they both two of the largest (size) type of scorpions?

i_like_scorps

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The desert hairy isn't. It is a good sized scorp though reaching between 5 and 6 inches when full grown. I believe it is one of the largest found naturally in the US though. The emperor is one of the largest reaching about 8 inches long with reports up to 9 inches. I looked in on them this morning and the hairy, after eating himself to obesity on his grasshopper, has not moved. He's totally bloated! LOL He's still resting right outside of his hide. The emp has been crawling all over the enclosure and has dug more of a hide. I started a hide for it last night when I got home it it has dug more of it out. it is fully submerged with its chela visible and folded in front of its face; almost like a protective barrier.

Xaranx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Am I the only one who finds it creepy as hell when people call them their kids?

Last edited:

Australis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Am I the only one who finds it creepy as hell when people call them their kids?
Why ? :?
I call them tat all the time...since, they are under ur bank account when it comes to food and lodging :D

i_like_scorps

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
LOL I prefer calling them my kids verses calling them pets. Most scorps are far from pet quality. LOL

Vfox

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
LOL I prefer calling them my kids verses calling them pets. Most scorps are far from pet quality. LOL
Haha, I like that analogy. "My scorpions are not of pet quality, therefor I refer to them as my children." Makes you wonder what our parents thought of us, eh? :D

i_like_scorps

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hhhmmmm, I'm the prankster in my family and my mom always said I was a joke! ROFLOL Besides that I'm the "odd" one in the family, the "black sheep" so to speak. Everyone smoked, I don't, they all drank beer/hard liquor, I don't, they all like coffee, I hate it, they all look "normal" and I have 31 piercings of which 17 are above the neck. I've always liked the exotic pet species/animals whereas everyone else was content with a cat or dog. I had scorpions years ago as "pets" and thatdropped off when I got heavily involved in breeding parrot and practicing falconry. I want several more species of scorps and I might dip my toes in the water with a breeding project later on.

Vfox

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
and practicing falconry.
I was a certified falconer in Pa, well an apprentice anyway, but I had to give it up when I went back to college. I plan on picking it up again once my life actually has some structure to it again, lol.