My new isopods

Very pretty! I love Isopods, I always kept them as a child but never expected them to become so popular. Some of the species and color morphs available now are really alluring, I will be diversifying my collection soon :)

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Very pretty! I love Isopods, I always kept them as a child but never expected them to become so popular. Some of the species and color morphs available now are really alluring, I will be diversifying my collection soon :)
Thanks! They're quite fun to watch interact with each other.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Is this a P. laevis manca? Or contamination from my dwarf white isopods? (I'm thinking not as there are about 15 of what I think are mancae in the enclosure)

@Aquarimax @Elytra and Antenna

Last edited:

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
It is a tough call at this point, but P. laevis grow so fast, you should know quite soon. I wish I could offer better information!
Ok , I guess I'll just have to wait a little bit then to see if/how big they grow.

Polenth

Arachnobaron
Is this a P. laevis manca? Or contamination from my dwarf white isopods? (I'm thinking not as there are about 15 of what I think are mancae in the enclosure)
You can tell them apart with a microscope. Trichorhina tomentosa has little spines over the surface, unlike the smooth appearance of Porcellio laevis (a hand magnifier is probably enough to see this one). Both have two segments on the tips of the antennae, but Trichorhina tomentosa has one segment that's noticably shorter than the other. Porcellio laevis has them about the same size. The uropods on Trichorhina tomentosa have bristles on the tip, which Porcellio laevis lacks. Trichorhina tomentosa doesn't have pleopodal lungs and Porcellio laevis has two pairs.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Some now new additions:
Armadillidium frontirostre :

Porcelliio duboscqui trogophila:

Porcelliionides pruinosus "Orange"

No pictures because they're really small but I also picked up Armadillidium klugii "Montenegro"

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
A few more (and last for the year) additions

Porcelliio species "Sevilla"

Porcelliio ornatus "yellow"

Armadillidium versicolor:

Porcelliio scaber "party mix"