My new "Goliath Pink Bird Eating Spider"

Katronmaster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Gotta love pet stores.

I went in to buy crickets, and noticed they had a T relatively cheap listed as a 'Goliath pink bird eating'. It was fat, didn't look overly stressed, but was definitely not being well kept. I went back twice in hopes of IDing this timid ball of legs, which tended to just bunch up in the corner and not move. I asked about it, and was told two things. One girl said it's handleable, like a Rose Hair. The guy that feeds the reptiles said it's evil incarnate and had been there a few months now.

I finally tracked down a salesman, who decided to stick a pen in there and poke it. The T ran up one side of the tank, back down, and proceeded to assault the Pen with utter buggy 'rage'.

I was then sure this was neither T. Blondi nor L. Paryhabana. It was blackish, Old World, striped, and very, very irritated. I talked them down to half price (20 bucks), and after a struggle, got the feisty critter from one cage to a new one... they were just happy to be rid of it and assured they aren't ordering any more of those, they'll stick to G. Rosea.

I'm 95% sure I have some form of Haplopelma on hand (pics soon) My mate and I think maybe H. Schmidti.

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I once bought a 5 inch B smithi female for $50.00. THe store owner was afraid of her.

Aarantula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That store owner happen to have anymore B. Smithi's on hand??? {D

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That store owner happen to have anymore B. Smithi's on hand??? {D
They closed. ;) Everything else in that place was overpriced. All the other tarantulas were your G rosea or A seemanni. They had a bad habbit of housing everything in a twenty gallon tank with cardboard deviders. Occatioally one would eat its neighbor. The smithi was brought in by another customer who just gave it to them. It was the only store in town that sold feeders at the time so I had to go visit at least once a week. I saw her before any one else and bought her.

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Congratulations on your new Haplopelma; wish I could tell you what kind it is, though. :eek:
Save the next molt and send it off for positive I.D.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Could be a chilobrachys sp. maybe huahini
It's not a C huahini, they're more a muted pumpkin orange. It's coloring is pretty uniform though so maybe it's some other chilobrachys? It has that lean, wiry asian t look to it.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
looks like it may be Haplopelma Hainanum.see if you can get some better shots and post them up!