My new female 10"+ T. Blondi (Pics) MASSIVE!

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Just curious as to why you like to buy the big blondi. One would assume they are nearing the end of their life span due to their size. It's almost like buying a senior citizen tarantula.

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Just curious as to why you like to buy the big blondi. One would assume they are nearing the end of their life span due to their size. It's almost like buying a senior citizen tarantula.
I like them for my Display tanks and will be breeding them soon......rob

reptist

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I was wondering if those advertised 10" T blondi were the real deal, I figured they would come up a bit short, 10" is a pretty big spider and 9" can look alot like 10" w/out a ruler, anymore you rarely ever see true 10" blondi, not for sale anyway, heck I think in my 15+ year spider keeping career I've only seen 6 or 8 that made the 10" mark, prob 2/3 of them were males, A nice fat 10" girl is a spectacle to see in person though, and they weigh a ton, nice spider though, maybe the new arrival will hit the 10" mark, Ryan has a point though those girls are deffinately up in the years, but may still produce, hope for the best and use many males, my best advice, PEACE, B.

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I was wondering if those advertised 10" T blondi were the real deal, I figured they would come up a bit short, 10" is a pretty big spider and 9" can look alot like 10" w/out a ruler, anymore you rarely ever see true 10" blondi, not for sale anyway, heck I think in my 15+ year spider keeping career I've only seen 6 or 8 that made the 10" mark, prob 2/3 of them were males, A nice fat 10" girl is a spectacle to see in person though, and they weigh a ton, nice spider though, maybe the new arrival will hit the 10" mark, Ryan has a point though those girls are deffinately up in the years, but may still produce, hope for the best and use many males, my best advice, PEACE, B.
Brandon you have very nice Blondi's also, but I still think she is 10".....it is going to be close.....My L.P is a definate 10" but not as much bulk. This girl is hard to measure any tricks to the trade you can give me......rob

reptist

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
secrets of the trade

Put her in a ziplock and she will be much easier to manipulate, just dont forget she can easily tag you through the bag, you should be able to get a pretty accurate measurement that way, she wont be 10" though judging by the tile measurement previously, if she is I'll give you 25% off your next order from Reptist!! PEACE, B.

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Put her in a ziplock and she will be much easier to manipulate, just dont forget she can easily tag you through the bag, you should be able to get a pretty accurate measurement that way, she wont be 10" though judging by the tile measurement previously, if she is I'll give you 25% off your next order from Reptist!! PEACE, B.
I posted measurement pics....she wouldn't cooperate.....and I didn't want to stress her.....if my camera had a faster shutter speed I would have gotten a great shot.....she was over 9 3/4"n and not stretched, go look at the new thread I posted see what you think, hell ya I would love 25% off, but I will buy from you regardless....you have awesome T's......rob

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I really want to tease you, and say post a ruler shot 20x and so on, but in past experiences doing this :)( ) did not work out so well... if by chance you can get a pic without stressing her out too much, i would really love to see a ruler shot. Side by side DLS. That specimen does not look 10" to me. Maybe 8" or so, after seeing a real 10" P. ornata, i would not be surprised to see a 10" blondi at all, but its still pretty cool to see one accurately that size.

Anyways, above remarks brings me to a question, is this NW species not as long lived as some of the others, such as B. smithi? Not too keen on T. blondi, too much hair and humidity needs for me, i rather go for L. parahybana, less of a hair kicker IME, easier to take care of, and just as impressive.

Thanks for sharing though :).
Cheers

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I really want to tease you, and say post a ruler shot 20x and so on, but in past experiences doing this :)( ) did not work out so well... if by chance you can get a pic without stressing her out too much, i would really love to see a ruler shot. Side by side DLS. That specimen does not look 10" to me. Maybe 8" or so, after seeing a real 10" P. ornata, i would not be surprised to see a 10" blondi at all, but its still pretty cool to see one accurately that size.

Anyways, above remarks brings me to a question, is this NW species not as long lived as some of the others, such as B. smithi? Not too keen on T. blondi, too much hair and humidity needs for me, i rather go for L. parahybana, less of a hair kicker IME, easier to take care of, and just as impressive.

Thanks for sharing though :).
Cheers
I posted shots of the ruler in the thread "My "10 inch" Blondi measurements" but she is 8" relaxed....but you are right about getting them to stretch out it is hard.....rob

reptist

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Shutter speed

yea your going to need a shutter speed from hell to coax 10" out of that girl, LOL, here is a couple pix of a 10" fatty, pix just cant do the sizes justice, this thing is like as big as a chiuahua, I think I heard someware that if you can harness 500 gamma volts and direct it through the shutter there is at least an inch of virtual leg span you can pull from dimension x, your going to need to split an atom though to acomplish it, just kidding man she is within an inch or so but not 10" even if the shutter speed exceeds warp 9!! maybe after a molt or 2, PEACE, B.

DSCF1185.JPG

Last edited:

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
yea your going to need a shutter speed from hell to coax 10" out of that girl, LOL, here is a couple pix of a 10" fatty, pix just cant do the sizes justice, this thing is like as big as a chiuahua, I think I heard someware that if you can harness 500 gamma volts and direct it through the shutter there is at least an inch of virtual leg span you can pull from dimension x, your going to need to split an atom though to acomplish it, just kidding man she is within an inch or so but not 10" even if the shutter speed exceeds warp 9!! maybe after a molt or 2, PEACE, B.
(lol)....that is a beast....I know mine is close to 10"....I did see a 9 3/4"....but 9" is big enough for me.....rob

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I have been told that there may be a chance this girl has recently laid a sac due to the fact the hairs on both sides of her abdomen have been rubbed off......any thoughts......rob