My new dart frogs

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Picked up these two beauties, my first dart frogs, Dendrobates auratus microspot

Lol thanks you’re the first person to get it. Even on the frog forums people don’t get it.
I got it the first time I saw it actually! I have a thing for wordplay ;)

OP, those are stunning darts! I wish you the best of luck with them <3 I really hope to keep PDFs sometime in the near future...

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
I got it the first time I saw it actually! I have a thing for wordplay ;)

OP, those are stunning darts! I wish you the best of luck with them <3 I really hope to keep PDFs sometime in the near future...
Thanks! I actually picked up a couple more this weekend.

Ranitomeya uakarii:

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
AND I have eggs. Looks like the uakarii were breeding this morning... Heard calling when I went into the room... And found these this evening...

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Congrats. I'm not sure how much experience you've had with raising darts from tads. In my experience uakarii don't make the best parents, at least compared to other members of the genus. My males might transport one tad and leave the rest to dry out. After transport they have little to do with the growing tad, no feeder eggs like you get with imitator. I've raised nearly all of my uakarri tads in a tubberware.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Congrats. I'm not sure how much experience you've had with raising darts from tads. In my experience uakarii don't make the best parents, at least compared to other members of the genus. My males might transport one tad and leave the rest to dry out. After transport they have little to do with the growing tad, no feeder eggs like you get with imitator. I've raised nearly all of my uakarri tads in a tubberware.
Thanks for the tips! These are my first tads, so I'll be looking for tips along the way. When would you suggest pulling the eggs/tads?

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have several film canisters filled with water in the tank on ground level. Uakarii are mostly terrestrial. I try to check them daily. When I notice a tad in one I check the egg depositing spot for the left overs. Usually I can get the leftover tads out with a spray bottle. I just remove the tad the male deposited and place it in the tadpole container. I feed them about once a week with a small amount of high quality fish food. You will need to carefully change the water at least once a week. They can get sick(bloat) if the water is dirty. It might take a while for the male to figure out how to transport any tads. I recently had my dominant male die. The new dominant male was not very good at transporting tadpoles. I spent several months having to guess when the tads were ready to hatch. When the male is not transporting I have to transport the tads myself. I keep the eggs in the tank because it's much more humid than my home. When they hatch the tadpoles will straiten out. They are in a C shape while in the egg. Tads that are about to hatch will be much darker and look really crowded in the egg. If they hatch in the tank I use a spray bottle to move them to a growout container. It will take a lot of experience and practice on your part to recognize when the eggs are about to hatch. Hopefully your male will transport them for you. If not you and the male will have a lot of opportunities to figure things out. I usually have at least three clutches growing in my tank at any one time.

One more thing. the froglets will be tiny. They will need springtails available to eat in their container. I usually just have a culture of spring tails going in the tank that will raise the young frogs.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
I have several film canisters filled with water in the tank on ground level. Uakarii are mostly terrestrial. I try to check them daily. When I notice a tad in one I check the egg depositing spot for the left overs. Usually I can get the leftover tads out with a spray bottle. I just remove the tad the male deposited and place it in the tadpole container. I feed them about once a week with a small amount of high quality fish food. You will need to carefully change the water at least once a week. They can get sick(bloat) if the water is dirty. It might take a while for the male to figure out how to transport any tads. I recently had my dominant male die. The new dominant male was not very good at transporting tadpoles. I spent several months having to guess when the tads were ready to hatch. When the male is not transporting I have to transport the tads myself. I keep the eggs in the tank because it's much more humid than my home. When they hatch the tadpoles will straiten out. They are in a C shape while in the egg. Tads that are about to hatch will be much darker and look really crowded in the egg. If they hatch in the tank I use a spray bottle to move them to a growout container. It will take a lot of experience and practice on your part to recognize when the eggs are about to hatch. Hopefully your male will transport them for you. If not you and the male will have a lot of opportunities to figure things out. I usually have at least three clutches growing in my tank at any one time.

One more thing. the froglets will be tiny. They will need springtails available to eat in their container. I usually just have a culture of spring tails going in the tank that will raise the young frogs.
Thanks for the help! I'll be posting updates as things progress

The Seraph

Arachnolord
Lol thanks you’re the first person to get it. Even on the frog forums people don’t get it.
I knew it had something to do with dart frogs when I first saw it but I do not get the pun. :( Could you explain it for me?

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
I knew it had something to do with dart frogs when I first saw it but I do not get the pun. :( Could you explain it for me?
I'm assuming his name is Dan, one of the genuses (genii?) of poison dart frog is Dendrobates, so a user name of Dandrobates is a fun play on words combining his name with the genus name.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
The eggs have started to hatch into tadpoles!!!

One hatched so far and the others are wriggling. I counted 5 or so.

Last edited: