My new curly hair will not come out of its log!

Amber Jones

Arachnopeon
Hi guys!
I just got my first T Sunday. Its a little curly hair. I've named it Beatrix (trying to be gender neutral). Everywhere I have read says this is one of the most docile species and extremely easy to handle. But ever since i moved it into their new home she wont leave the log. She seems extremely sluggish and just doesn't want to be bothered. They told me a bigger abdomen can sometimes mean a female (i know they probably don't know much lol) so i picked the one with the biggest rump. Now I'm starting to wonder did i just happen to get him/her right before it was going into a molt and that's why the abdomen looked bigger? I've held her/him once since I've got them and it kicked hairs on me that time. I don't want to disturb him/her if he is going to molt. He's eaten two crickets since he's been with me though. Is he just shy?? Why isn't he active at all.. he is also covering his face a lot. I'll take some pictures to post tonight. But basically shes in a 12"X 14" Terrarium. Its not tall at all. I'm using the humid peat moss mix substrate stuff that looks like soil. She also has a log and I've built the substrate up in the back corner about 8" in case she wants to burrow. Any other suggestions?

lostbrane

Arachnobaron
Don’t handle it, would be my first suggestion.

Tarantulas aren’t the most active of pets and they will do what they want, including staying in their hide for days, weeks, etc. or even still in the same spot.

Pictures would be a great help to see what your set up is like in case suggestions/modifications need to be made.

Sluggish/lethargic with a larger abdomen could indicate a molt is imminent but without pics and with your description it’s a bit hard to tell, especially since it ate.

Welcome to the boards.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Everywhere I have read says this is one of the most docile species and extremely easy to handle.
They are more tolerant of handling then many other species but some individuals can still be defensive, bites are always a possibility...temperaments shift in an instant with tarantulas. These terrestrials will get hurt very easily from a fall as well, especially fatter individuals. This makes handling a very dangerous activity for them, with loads of cons and little to no pros. A new keeper is more likely to make mistakes too, as they don't know what to expect or how to read their behavior.
But ever since i moved it into their new home she wont leave the log. She seems extremely sluggish and just doesn't want to be bothered. They told me a bigger abdomen can sometimes mean a female (i know they probably don't know much lol) so i picked the one with the biggest rump.
Nonsense, all tarantulas naturally go through phases of being fat/skinny as they molt and grow. Pet store workers are usually pretty clueless.
I've held her/him once since I've got them and it kicked hairs on me that time.
Remember it does not want to be held by any means lol, its especially counter productive to constantly be handling while its trying to adapt to the new enclosure. Your tarantula is a solitary creature that views you as a potential predator, the kicking of setae is the first defense...which will get worse with increased exposure by the way.
But basically shes in a 12"X 14" Terrarium. Its not tall at all. I'm using the humid peat moss mix substrate stuff that looks like soil. She also has a log and I've built the substrate up in the back corner about 8" in case she wants to burrow. Any other suggestions?
Share some pictures of the full setup and your specimen, sounds very large for anything other then an AF.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
If they have eaten recently, then they probably aren't about to moult unless they are still really small. You have only had them for a few days and they have eaten twice? They're likely full and they don't need to be fed that frequently at all. Tiny spiderlings can be fed twice a week, but juveniles and adults only once every week or two. One prey item at a time unless freshly moulted.
Males and females look identical right up until the male matures. That is when there is going to be an obvious difference between the sexes with the male being leggier and with a smaller abdomen. Until that point, abdomen size is irrelevant and not an indication of sex.
Handling is a risk to their well being. Handling an individual with a huge abdomen is even more risky. Handling one close to a moult is riskier still. They are covering their face with their legs because they want to be left alone and are fearful. Kicking hairs is also their way of communicating that they want to be left alone and you should not ignore that.
They have just been transported and dumped into a new home and don't have a clue what is going on. They need time to adjust. Also, a 12"x14" enclosure is huge and suitable for an adult, but not a spiderling or juvenile. As youngsters, you want to stick to enclosures only 2 or 3 times their legspan. That can cause them to hide as well.
This species can adjust well to a bit more humidity than some other species, but they don't want wet substrate. How humid is the substrate?

UniqueUserName

Arachnopeon
Hello! I’ve had my curly hair for about 4 years now and he definitely prefers his log to hide in. He will find different spots he likes to hang out in, but I think he feels more secure in the log. If you just got him, he probably is getting used to his new home. Give him time, and he will be more “sociable” on his home.

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
Abdomen size is not an indication of sex, its an indication of a well fed spider. Considering the new T has been in its enclosure less than a week and is already being handled, I'm not surprised it sits in a stress posture a lot, Ts usually need a little bit of time to adjust to their new environments before they start acting normal. As for being able to handle them, a guy at an expo wanted to show my mom how friendly his B. albos were so he picked one up and it almost immediately jumped out of his hands and knocked over a bunch of containers. Some individuals may tolerate it, some will hate it. If yours is flicking hairs at you I have a feeling it doesn't like being held much.

Amber Jones

Arachnopeon
Wow guys thanks for all of the feedback. One thing I should've been clear about the guy at the pet store seemed to handle her fine with confidence so i went home and only handled her for a minute to move her to the new enclosure I could tell she was freaked and I haven't touched her since. I told some pics for you guys as well. And also I was totally off about the cage height she might have 5" of height in there on top of the substrate its super short. Also I came home and noticed the cage looked pretty dry so I sprayed it down that's why it looks wet. It's not always like that 2018-09-19-18-47-26-177.jpg 2018-09-19-18-47-02-704.jpg 2018-09-19-18-46-00-682.jpg 2018-09-19-18-48-10-351.jpg

Hello! I’ve had my curly hair for about 4 years now and he definitely prefers his log to hide in. He will find different spots he likes to hang out in, but I think he feels more secure in the log. If you just got him, he probably is getting used to his new home. Give him time, and he will be more “sociable” on his home.

Wanted to say thanks for the positive feedback! I'm trying to do everything right for the little guy! Haha

If they have eaten recently, then they probably aren't about to moult unless they are still really small. You have only had them for a few days and they have eaten twice? They're likely full and they don't need to be fed that frequently at all. Tiny spiderlings can be fed twice a week, but juveniles and adults only once every week or two. One prey item at a time unless freshly moulted.
Males and females look identical right up until the male matures. That is when there is going to be an obvious difference between the sexes with the male being leggier and with a smaller abdomen. Until that point, abdomen size is irrelevant and not an indication of sex.
Handling is a risk to their well being. Handling an individual with a huge abdomen is even more risky. Handling one close to a moult is riskier still. They are covering their face with their legs because they want to be left alone and are fearful. Kicking hairs is also their way of communicating that they want to be left alone and you should not ignore that.
They have just been transported and dumped into a new home and don't have a clue what is going on. They need time to adjust. Also, a 12"x14" enclosure is huge and suitable for an adult, but not a spiderling or juvenile. As youngsters, you want to stick to enclosures only 2 or 3 times their legspan. That can cause them to hide as well.
This species can adjust well to a bit more humidity than some other species, but they don't want wet substrate. How humid is the substrate?
I try to spray it down maybe once a day because I'll come home and itll look pretty dry and light colored. We keep our house at about 75, you can kinda see in the picture how the edges are wet from me spraying and the middle is the normal look of it

Last edited by a moderator:

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
That looks pretty good and they are a good size, too. When you said 'little' it threw me off. That isn't such a bad size for that sized tarantula. Maybe a bit big, but not horribly big. Could use a bit more substrate in the front.
They are probably just adjusting to their new home. It's good that they are eating, but you just need to let them adjust. It is an individual thing for how long that will take. They will eventually come out and explore, that is a species who is fairly visible once they reach about 3". All of mine stopped hiding/burrowing at that size and just sit right out in the open, even when I disturb their enclosures.
At that size, they don't need to be fed more than once a week. One or two appropriately sized items, once a week.
Don't bother spraying it down, they generally don't like that. You can overflow the water dish and dampen a part of the substrate. Misting just evaporates and is basically ineffective at everything except making them angry. They do quite well in a drier setup, even though they come from a more tropical type environment.
Nice job on the enclosure. I'm sure they will be happy in there. I would bury that log a bit, but that is just my personal preference.

Amber Jones

Arachnopeon
That looks pretty good and they are a good size, too. When you said 'little' it threw me off. That isn't such a bad size for that sized tarantula. Maybe a bit big, but not horribly big. Could use a bit more substrate in the front.
They are probably just adjusting to their new home. It's good that they are eating, but you just need to let them adjust. It is an individual thing for how long that will take. They will eventually come out and explore, that is a species who is fairly visible once they reach about 3". All of mine stopped hiding/burrowing at that size and just sit right out in the open, even when I disturb their enclosures.
At that size, they don't need to be fed more than once a week. One or two appropriately sized items, once a week.
Don't bother spraying it down, they generally don't like that. You can overflow the water dish and dampen a part of the substrate. Misting just evaporates and is basically ineffective at everything except making them angry. They do quite well in a drier setup, even though they come from a more tropical type environment.
Nice job on the enclosure. I'm sure they will be happy in there. I would bury that log a bit, but that is just my thanks
Nice job on the enclosure. I'm sure they will be happy in there. I would bury that log a bit, but that is just my personal preference.
Thank you for all the information, I truly appreciate it. I will slow down the feeding too. And I was thinking maybe she'd be more comfortable if the log was buried I'm going to do that for sure. For now I'll let the little guy or girl lol adjust to their new home and overfill the water dish/spray a section of the substrate too. You're right the spray evaporates super quick. They are a little smaller still and I probably just need to give him/her some time. :)

Tarantulas aren’t the most active of pets and they will do what they want, including staying in their hide for days, weeks, etc. or even still in the same spot.

Pictures would be a great help to see what your set up is like in case suggestions/modifications need to be made.

Sluggish/lethargic with a larger abdomen could indicate a molt is imminent but without pics and with your description it’s a bit hard to tell, especially since it ate.

Welcome to the boards.

Wanted to thank you again for all your help as well, I posted some pictures too for everyone's reference.

Dovey

Arachnobaron

Welcome to the boards.
This isn't a reply, it's a "yes and..."

and that advice is to get 5 more slings if you want something to watch all the time! It's my standard recommendation for people who say "I got a spider and it's not doing anything." They all do that, and I have found that if I have about 15 or 20 slings to check on every day, I keep myself occupied in the spider department! ;)

Everybody has a different magic number, based on the level of their fascination and their amount of free time. But cold blooded animals are very very different than warm blooded animals and they will do what they do, which is often nothing for long periods of time.

As for your species, they can be bolty and hair kicky and are not really that "friendly" as youngsters. How large is your Sling from front toe tip to opposite back toe tip?

Last edited:

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
It is not uncommon for a newly purchased T to hide a lot, same with newly rehoused Ts, they are in unfamiliar territory, they will come out once they feel secure.

Amber Jones

Arachnopeon
This isn't a reply, it's a "yes and..."

and that advice is to get 5 more slings if you want something to watch all the time! It's my standard recommendation for people who say "I got a spider and it's not doing anything." They all do that, and I have found that if I have about 15 or 20 slings to check on every day, I keep myself occupied in the spider department! ;)

Everybody has a different magic number, based on the level of their fascination and their amount of free time. But cold blooded animals are very very different than warm blooded animals and they will do what they do, which is often nothing for long periods of time.

As for your species, they can be bolty and hair kicky and are not really that "friendly" as youngsters. How large is your Sling from front toe tip to opposite back toe tip?
I do believe I'm going to have to become a breeder all I do is look at these fascinating creatures online now. And I haven't gotten the best look at her since shes constantly hiding but I'd say shes just shy of 3".

They told me shes probably a couple years old but I dont really believe anything they say

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
They told me shes probably a couple years old but I dont really believe anything they say
Age is impossible to tell unless you are speaking to the person who paired the Ts, hatched the sac, and sold the slings.