My new B. albo has laid an egg sac!!!!

cold blood

Staff member
Right?? When he told me that, I was just kinda stupified for a moment. Then he said "there were only 2 in the enclosure." I did not ask for any more info on that topic... I would not feel comfortable giving slings back to that dealer either.
I am guessing Zoe is from Honduras. You guys know more than I. Here is a pic of her :)
Yeah, I agree, it looks like one of the fresh Nicaraguan imports...good news bad news good news...good news is that the hobby needs these, and people are clamoring for them...bad news is that many others have bred them, so it may at some point get flooded (the market that is), which will make the huge sac harder to sell....good news again though, is that with yours laying a sac today, you are ahead of most of the others who are waiting for females to drop...which could be a while.

The process is simple, although time consuming, especially with the sheer size of the expected sac. For now its just a waiting game, keep her dark and quiet, and remove the water dish (you don't want her dunking it and drowning everybody)....I would also try to keep her warm.

At about 30 days, you can take the sac and gently open it to see either good eggs, bad eggs, or eggs with legs (EWL). At this point any EWLs or good eggs (not black or shriveled) go into an incubator...I use Louise's method, so good to research there, her vids are pretty good, plus you get to enjoy her sweet accent.

From there you again are waiting, for another 4-8 weeks (depending on species and temps) for them to molt...they won't eat till this molt...its also when they will start to look like little tarantulas.

When they molt, you can then separate them (no hurry, they will be fine together for a limited time) into individual condiment cups or vials...give them a meal and send off as many as you can to dealers. Wholesale pricing won't be much per spider, but its a great way to unload large amounts of slings to a place that will both take care of them properly, and supply the hobby. What you don't or can't wholesale (or trade, dealers will trade slings for other spiders), you can sell, raise or give away.

Good luck, very exciting.

D Sherlod

Arachnoknight
Wow congrats,, I'm glad it's not me, I know I'm not ready for that big of a surprise:)

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
IMG_4538.JPG Hello @Leila, well for starters you have a wild caught Brachypelma albopilosum "Nicaragua" that produced a sac for you. The best you can do for her at this point if you want to have a good sac is, keep the humidity level high and also keep your temperatures at least to 80 degrees at all times for the next 30 days if you like or you can always let mama keep the sac and see if the slings burst out of the sac on their own, but regardless high humidity and temperature at 80 degrees.

I like the fact you call her Zoe, my youngest daughters name is Zoe.

This here is one of my captive born Brachypelma albopilosum "Nicaragua" that I'm hoping that's a male. I could always use more males. It was born last year.

Leila

Arachnobaron
I wish I could find the post I viewed a fews days ago...it displayed a Honduran and a Nicaraguan B. albo side by side. I swear, I KNOW your guys' knowledge makes mine look like child's play. :) (much respect to you all!)
That photo I saw made the Nicaraguan sp. look like it had powder blue coloring on the legs. Is that not so? Bc Zoe is black and amber in color. I only ask because I want to make sure ❤❤

Leila

Arachnobaron
Again, I am not arguing or implying I know more than you all. :) That post I saw just has me so confused right now though.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Again, I am not arguing or implying I know more than you all. :) That post I saw just has me so confused right now though.
You don't come across as argumentative so relax, Granny to be;).
The tint you saw was just the lighting. You have a real, live Nicaraguan B. albopilosum. I'm crossing my fingers that she hanky pankied with a real live B. albopilosum male.
Only time will tell.

Leila

Arachnobaron
You don't come across as argumentative so relax, Granny to be;).
The tint you saw was just the lighting. You have a real, live Nicaraguan B. albopilosum. I'm crossing my fingers that she hanky pankied with a real live B. albopilosum male.
Only time will tell.
Lol! You! :astonished:

Leila

Arachnobaron
And a HUGE thanks to all of you! Not a single one of my friends nor family members nor coworkers truly gets my love for these outstanding darlings. Lol! I am sure a lot of you can relate... :)
@Andrea82, I never did see a link. I just figured I could click on her tag and find said info ❤❤

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
And a HUGE thanks tI all of you! Not a single one of my friends nor family members nor coworkers truly gets my love for these outstanding darlings. Lol! I am sure a lot of you can relate... :)
@Andrea82, I never did see a link. I just figured I could click on her tag and find said info ❤❤
I was wondering why the other posters kept referring to the info i thought I linked....guess I did the 'copy' part, but forgot the 'paste' :shy:

Leila

Arachnobaron
I was wondering why the other posters kept referring to the info i thought I linked....guess I did the 'copy' part, but forgot the 'paste' :shy:
Ahahah! ❤❤ All is well. I had been at work for most of today anyhow; therefore, I'd not had the time to look for said misplaced link. Hehe.
Tomorrow will be my day of extensive research. Do send the link please. :) :::hugs:::

Last edited:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I wish I could find the post I viewed a fews days ago...it displayed a Honduran and a Nicaraguan B. albo side by side. I swear, I KNOW your guys' knowledge makes mine look like child's play. :) (much respect to you all!)
That photo I saw made the Nicaraguan sp. look like it had powder blue coloring on the legs. Is that not so? Bc Zoe is black and amber in color. I only ask because I want to make sure ❤❤
@Leila are you speaking of this link http://arachnoboards.com/threads/br...-vs-brachypelma-albopilosum-nicaragua.288738/

Leila

Arachnobaron
Yes!!!! :) @Exoskeleton Invertebrates Oh my god, I knew I recognised your name! ;)
Ok then! Nice photographs, by the way. Your camera is outstanding.
Don't I feel like a dork now...the intelligent guy who posted the pics I referenced already gave me a response...HAH!!
I am laughing right now

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
If viable sac then congratulations!!

The only down size is potting up a sac like of that size :rofl:

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes!!!! :) @Exoskeleton Invertebrates Oh my god, I knew I recognised your name! ;)
Ok then! Nice photographs, by the way. Your camera is outstanding.
Don't I feel like a dork now...the intelligent guy who posted the pics I referenced already gave me a response...HAH!!
I am laughing right now
Thank you! I see what you're saying that the one tarantula that is next to the other one has a little bit of blue highlight, that's because it had a fresher molt than the other plus the way the spider was positioned when the photo was taken reflected some blue tint coloration.

Now if you look at the last photo of the link she's a Nicaraguan albopilosum, two week prior when the photo was taken she had molted, so she was fresh and has a little bit of the blue tint coloration. The camera can be very tricky at times even in natural lighting.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If viable sac then congratulations!!

The only down size is potting up a sac like of that size :rofl:
I think she's better off letting mama take care of the sac for the whole entire time until the babies come out, or she should pull the sac if it starts to look bad and the female abandons it. My very first sac of any species I let mama take care of the sac.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I think she's better off letting mama take care of the sac for the whole entire time until the babies come out, or she should pull the sac if it starts to look bad and the female abandons it. My very first sac of any species I let mama take care of the sac.
Yeah I meant separating once hatched heheh. A lot of babys :astonished:

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Right?? When he told me that, I was just kinda stupified for a moment. Then he said "there were only 2 in the enclosure." I did not ask for any more info on that topic... I would not feel comfortable giving slings back to that dealer either.
I am guessing Zoe is from Honduras. You guys know more than I. Here is a pic of her :)
She is a beauty. I have some of these but mine are tiny slings.
Congrats on the egg sac! I hope it all goes well for you!