My new Amblypygids :)

papilio

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They seem to grow better.
That's really interesting! I wonder why they grow better...maybe some sort of pheromone? Total guessing, obviously, on my part.
Yes, it is! I'm a bit apprehensive about having them cohabitate given my friend's unfortunate experience, but I've put them together now ... I guess at worst I'd only lose one of the two. Will be interesting to watch how it goes.

Incredible pictures!! I am trying to venture into macro photography and when I see pictures like this, it makes me so excited LOL. What kind of lighting do you use for shots like these? Also, do you stack photos?
Thank you very much Lokal! Some of these were taken under a studio strobe and 16-inch beauty dish, others with a speedlight and the very nice soft light of a Flashbender softbox diffuser.

I've done deep focus stacks in the past, typically it's required with anything above 5X magnification. Of these photos, the last of the three close-ups is two stacked images. Unlike most arachnids, Amblypigids clearly don't like to be stacked ... they move too much! ;)

papilio

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My pair of amblypygids are cohabitating well and growing nicely ... won't they ever molt?!

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Mine started out molting every four months or so...so you could have a while. The fat abdomen usually means a molt is coming up, though. Gorgeous picture, by the way!

papilio

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mine started out molting every four months or so...so you could have a while. The fat abdomen usually means a molt is coming up, though. Gorgeous picture, by the way!
Thank you schmiggle! Wow, that's pretty slow. I just hope I'm lucky enough to catch one of them molting on ... erm, I was going to say FILM! ;) I love the molting video on YT by Precarious333.

Those pictures are unreal!
Thanks a lot Ratmosphere!

papilio

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
From this thread: http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?270445-Heterophrynus-batesii

They seem pretty communal.

---------- Post added 12-16-2015 at 09:26 PM ----------

See post #27.
Thank you BobBarley! Mine seemed to be doing fine together, but sadly one has died of mysterious causes.

Glad the site's back up, wanted to share these photos of my H. batesii's first molt in my care. One of the most beautiful things I've ever watched!

Here's its first post-molt meal. Boy did it grow a lot!

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Thank you BobBarley! Mine seemed to be doing fine together, but sadly one has died of mysterious causes.

Glad the site's back up, wanted to share these photos of my H. batesii's first molt in my care. One of the most beautiful things I've ever watched!

Here's its first post-molt meal. Boy did it grow a lot!

Those are some awesome pics! Glad I could help!

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Depends on the species. Heterophrynus batesii regularly reaches an 18" legspan (up to 24"), but the really small ones have a leg span that I know can be as small as 1" and can probably be smaller yet.