My millipede collection

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Thank you for reposting! I have tried to look at your species 8 a few times (just to drool) and came up empty. So glad to see them again. They are without a doubt the loveliest millipede I'll never have.

Marika

Arachnoangel
Tuo on kaunista! (Was my structure correct there? I'm trying to learn.)
My favorite is the Tanzanian yellow leg. Do you know the scientific name?
Yep, that's correct. What made you interested in learning Finnish?
They were sold as Tanzanian black yellow legs, so I don't know the scientific name. I prefer to use scientific names if possible. A hobbyist on another forum thought she could have been Doratogonus stephensi, but it's hard to find enough information to know for sure.
The 8s are so green and big, but their eyes are so narrow and kinda annoyed looking... cute though!
I like the narrow eyes :)

keks

Arachnobaron
Thank you for sharing your "lost" pics again, they are beautiful ^^. Spirostreptidae sp. 8 are gorgeous :happy:.

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
What are S. walkeri like, care-wise? The Millipeden site says they are easy to raise, but that there are two varieties, one with yellow/gold stripes and one with orange to red stripes, which is much larger. I believe you have the latter type. I have seen a picture of the orange morph from Nanjing and know that the yellow morph is very common in Beijing. Both are some of the nicest looking millipedes around, and if I ever see one for sale I will definitely get it.

Incidentally, have your pair laid eggs yet?

VolkswagenBug

Arachnobaron
That Anastreptus is absolutely amazing.
Yep, that's correct. What made you interested in learning Finnish?
They were sold as Tanzanian black yellow legs, so I don't know the scientific name. I prefer to use scientific names if possible. A hobbyist on another forum thought she could have been Doratogonus stephensi, but it's hard to find enough information to know for sure.

I like the narrow eyes :)
I quite like Sweden and am thinking of moving there eventually, and knowing Finnish or at least a bit of it would probably be a helpful asset.

7Fin

Arachnoknight
I think we can all agree that Marika's collection is what we should aspire to in life.

VolkswagenBug

Arachnobaron
I think we can all agree that Marika's collection is what we should aspire to in life.
Truly worthy of being a life's goal. Unfortunately, most of these species are unavailable in the US. This is partially why I want to move to Europe.

Marika

Arachnoangel
What are S. walkeri like, care-wise? The Millipeden site says they are easy to raise, but that there are two varieties, one with yellow/gold stripes and one with orange to red stripes, which is much larger. I believe you have the latter type. I have seen a picture of the orange morph from Nanjing and know that the yellow morph is very common in Beijing. Both are some of the nicest looking millipedes around, and if I ever see one for sale I will definitely get it.

Incidentally, have your pair laid eggs yet?
Just basic millipede husbandry. Temps are 20-25C. They mostly eat leaves and don't really seem to care about supplemental food. I've had them for 2 years, both of them molted during the first year...I've seen them mating, but unfortunately no pedelings yet.

Last edited:

Marika

Arachnoangel
Haha, I don't really have a huge collection anymore :p This is what I currently have (as far as I know):

lots of Anadenobolus monilicornis
1.2 Aphistogoniulus hova (juveniles)
1.0 Archispirostreptus gigas (juvenile)
0.1 Cameroon fat black
0.1 Cameroon giant (juvenile)
1.1 Cameroon grey/cream stripe
lots of Centrobolus splendidus
lots of Chicobolus spinigerus
1.0 Dendrostreptus macracanthus
0.2 Mozambique caramel
1.1 Spirobolus walkeri
1.5 Spirostreptidae sp. 8
0.1 Spirostreptus gregorius

VolkswagenBug

Arachnobaron
Haha, I don't really have a huge collection anymore :p This is what I currently have (as far as I know):

lots of Anadenobolus monilicornis
1.2 Aphistogoniulus hova (juveniles)
1.0 Archispirostreptus gigas (juvenile)
0.1 Cameroon fat black
0.1 Cameroon giant (juvenile)
1.1 Cameroon grey/cream stripe
lots of Centrobolus splendidus
lots of Chicobolus spinigerus
1.0 Dendrostreptus macracanthus
0.2 Mozambique caramel
1.1 Spirobolus walkeri
1.5 Spirostreptidae sp. 8
0.1 Spirostreptus gregorius
You might not have a huge collection, but you have a bunch of amazing species! I think the only one we can regularly get in the US out of those is C. spinigerus (which is still awesome). A. gigas is sometimes available at Cape Cod Roaches and Ward's Science, but they're always really expensive.

keks

Arachnobaron
Archispirostreptus gigas are here more expensive than other millipedes, too.

Marika

Arachnoangel
Just measured my largest Spirostreptidae sp. 8, she's about 24 cm, aw. Such a pretty girl.

Aaand more old pics.

Ophistreptus guineensis
P1300230.JPG
P1300234.JPG

Colossobolus giganteus
P1320402.JPG
P1320635.JPG
P1330012.JPG

Cameroon giant
DSC01121 – Kopio – Kopio.JPG
DSC01123 – Kopio.JPG

This is her when I got her:
P1300748.JPG

Cameroon fat black
DSC02429 – kopio.JPG
DSC02431 – kopio.JPG

keks

Arachnobaron
Congratulation to your giant Spirostreptidae sp 8, that's really a big one^^.
Great millipedes do/did you have.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
You never cease to brighten my day with your beautiful millipede photos! And you made me drool....