My millipede collection

Marika

Arachnoangel
Ophistreptus guineensis is a truly sexy millipede. I think I might get one, considering there's a nearby breeder that does them. I heard they can get pretty big and are good pets for beginners like me. :3
It's a very nice species, big and beautiful and beginner friendly. Mine was pretty small though and I didn't get to see him a lot. But I may have to get another one at some point...

Marika

Arachnoangel
What conditions do you find best assist with breeding? I want pedelings!!
I give them lots of substrate and a layer of leaves on top and then leave them alone, that's about it. But it also depends on the species. For example, I have a pair of Spirobolus walkeri that unfortunately hasn't produced any offspring and I don't know how to get them to breed.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
I give them lots of substrate and a layer of leaves on top and then leave them alone, that's about it. But it also depends on the species. For example, I have a pair of Spirobolus walkeri that unfortunately hasn't produced any offspring and I don't know how to get them to breed.
That's exactly what I would have said I do. I think most people use enclosures that are too small with shallow substrate. Did you ever hear the phrase,"Don't put a $100 tree in a $10 hole, put a $10 tree in a $100 hole". Same principal. :bookworm:

Last edited:

socalqueen

Arachnoknight
That's exactly what I would have said I do. I think most people use enclosures that are too small with shallow substrate. Did you ever hear the phrase,"Don't put a $100 tree in a $10 hole, put a $10 tree in a $100 hole". Same principal. :bookworm:
All my millipedes have deep substrate and lots of leaves so hopefully they get to it and start making some babies! :happy:

Marika

Arachnoangel
I noticed this little thing last night:

Not sure what it is, could be Spirobolus walkeri or "Cameroon grey/cream stripe". It's great, but at the same time so annoying, because that substrate really needs to be changed, but I can't do it if there are tiny pedelings and eggs in it :banghead::rolleyes::p

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Congratulations and sorry! I feel your pain. Because of an Ivory die off, when I find babies/ eggs in an enclosure with substrate that needs changed, I set up a new enclosure and start pulling adults out as they surface. I feel like the babies will have a better chance without the competition for food.

Marika

Arachnoangel
Congratulations and sorry! I feel your pain. Because of an Ivory die off, when I find babies/ eggs in an enclosure with substrate that needs changed, I set up a new enclosure and start pulling adults out as they surface. I feel like the babies will have a better chance without the competition for food.
Thanks! It's a 16g glass tank and I was planning on getting something new in it... I've been pulling pedes out and meant to change the substrate so the tank would be ready for some new additions. But I guess I'll just have to wait :D

scorps

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
These guys are really neat. I love pedes but my fiance is terrified of them (despite being fine with my scorpions, and loves tarantulas.)

Vermis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm not one to get all mushy like this but baby pedes are so cute. Look at their likkle faces.

The adults ain't bad either.

There are a few things that have changed in this hobby in the years I was away, but one of the more surprising points is that there's a species of giant pill millipede that will sometimes breed in captivity. A nice-looking species too, love the orange. Has something changed in their culture, or is it pot luck, or...?

mickiem

Arachnoprince
These guys are really neat. I love pedes but my fiance is terrified of them (despite being fine with my scorpions, and loves tarantulas.)
All it takes is holding one. It's an easy fear to overcome.

Marika

Arachnoangel
There are a few things that have changed in this hobby in the years I was away, but one of the more surprising points is that there's a species of giant pill millipede that will sometimes breed in captivity. A nice-looking species too, love the orange. Has something changed in their culture, or is it pot luck, or...?
I've read one report of successful breeding and if I remember correctly, there were two generations. The guy didn't seem to be doing anything special, so luck probably had a part in it. This species is sensitive to shipping stress, so first of all you need them to survive that and get both sexes or gravid females and so on. I haven't done any research lately, so I'm not sure if other people have managed to breed them as well.

Vermis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ta Marika. All the best for your millis. :) This has inspired me to look into them myself.

keks

Arachnobaron
Sooo many red millipedes!! Are they your offspring?
My pet shop owner said he get red ones too. I am curious.

Marika

Arachnoangel
Sooo many red millipedes!! Are they your offspring?
My pet shop owner said he get red ones too. I am curious.
Yep, they are (unintentional) offspring. I have about 10 adult females and I had left a couple of males with them. I meant to keep them separately, because I already had 20-30 of them. So, now I have 400 :D

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Yep, they are (unintentional) offspring. I have about 10 adult females and I had left a couple of males with them. I meant to keep them separately, because I already had 20-30 of them. So, now I have 400 :D
What a wonderful problem! Oh, I wish we could have them in the US

Marika

Arachnoangel
What a wonderful problem! Oh, I wish we could have them in the US
It's a good thing they aren't that big, they are about the same size as ivories. I have sold some, but still have most of them. They sure eat a lot :D This time I'll have to be super careful separating the males from the females, or soon I'll have thousands of them :D

keks

Arachnobaron
This is a very fertile species ^^.
I hope you can sell them, it is not only a question of food, but a question of space too when they become larger :wideyed:.