1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My millipede collection

Discussion in 'Myriapods' started by Marika, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Marika

Marika Arachnobaron Active Member

Finland
    Advertisement
    Nope, nothing yummy there, just a big pile of pedes. Didn't seem to be a reason for it, that's why it was so weird. Like I said, freaks :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Marika

Finland
    Another pede pile:
    DSC03623.JPG
    DSC03622.JPG

I don't know how long they had been like that before I noticed. After a while one of them got hungry:
    DSC03626.JPG

• Like Like x 5
    • Love Love x 3
  3. Marika

Finland
    DSC03687.JPG
    DSC03717.JPG

• Like Like x 4
    • Love Love x 4
  4. Marika

Finland
    The first mating attempt I've witnessed (a couple of months ago). Hoping for babies...
    DSC03749 – kopio.JPG

Hi.
    DSC03783.JPG

3x Aphistogoniulus hova (juveniles), C. spinigerus, C. splendidus and 2x Cameroon grey/cream stripe (adult and pedeling).
    DSC03827 – kopio.JPG
    DSC03830 – kopio.JPG

• Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  5. mickiem

mickiem Arachnoprince Active Member

Good to see you! Are the species 8 sexually dimorphic? Or is someone else just piling in with them? I love the group with the Aphistogoniulus, ivories, C. splendidus and Cameroons. What a great variety! I never tire of seeing your collection. So many we can't get here. :(

6. Marika

Finland
    At least the male was sold to me as sp. 8, so I'm hoping that's what he is. I did see somewhere someone mention that his males were more brownish in color, but other than that, I haven't been able to find much information. I can't wait for my A. hova juvies to grow up, it's been a while since I've had adults of that species. They are so pretty! But slow growing :p Luckily I have a male and two females, so hopefully that means more red babies in the future.

7. Marika

Finland
    Gave them Gammarus, it was yummy.
    DSC03901 – kopio.JPG

This little guy was my very first millipede, I found it inside a piece of cork bark. Cylindroiulus sp. I think. I had been thinking about getting millipedes, for a few years actually, and when I found this one, I just had to get a bigger one. And so I bought my first Aphistogoniulus hova...and then I needed more...and more...and... :p
    P1250059 – kopio.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  8. Staehilomyces

Staehilomyces Arachnoprince Active Member

How often do you give your millipedes supplemental food? I have yet to offer mine any.

9. Arthroverts

Arthroverts Arachnoknight Active Member

Cool as always! How many species do you have total?

Thanks

10. mickiem

mickiem Arachnoprince Active Member

Lucky millipedes! Entre of Gammarus with a side of cucumber!

11. Marika

Finland
    Maybe once a week or so. It also depends on the species, some aren't as interested in supplemental food as others.
    Thanks! I have 12 species atm:
    Anadenobolus monilicornis
    Aphistogoniulus hova
    Archispirostreptus gigas
    Cameroon fat black
    Cameroon giant
    Cameroon grey/cream stripe
    Centrobolus splendidus
    Chicobolus spinigerus
    Dendrostreptus macracanthus
    Mozambique caramel
    Spirobolus walkeri
    Spirostreptidae sp. 8

12. Marika

Finland
    Spirobolus walkeri, Cameroon fat black
    DSC03904 – kopio.JPG

• Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  13. Marika

Finland
    Climbing :snaphappy:
    DSC03930 – kopio.JPG

• Love Love x 3
  14. Marika

Finland
    My little mushroom farmers, lol.

DSC03935 – kopio.JPG

• Like Like x 3
    • Love Love x 1
  15. 7Fin

7Fin Arachnoknight

Am I part of the Cameroon Fat Black club now @Marika ? You are the only other person on this site I know who owns one, and maybe also centrobolus. I love their adorbss faces that kind of slant inwards. How big is yours?

16. Arthroverts

Arthroverts Arachnoknight Active Member

I would love some of those Fat Blacks one day, there so cool looking!

17. Marika

Finland
    Unfortunately my Fat Black died a few weeks ago, I'm not sure why. I had recently moved her into a new enclosure with new substrate, so my first thought was that there could be something wrong with the substrate, but there really shouldn't be and the other millipedes (S. walkeri) in the same enclosure are fine. So maybe she was old, I don't know. I had her for about a year. I didn't measure her, but I think she was somewhere around 12-15 cm. They are very adorable looking and I'd love to get a new one at some point.

• Sad Sad x 2
  18. 7Fin

7Fin Arachnoknight

Awww, very sorry to hear that. I'm sure she lived a good life under your care ;w;

• Love Love x 1
  19. ErinM31

ErinM31 Arachnoprince

• Like Like x 1
  20. ErinM31

ErinM31 Arachnoprince

Sorry for your loss! :( She had probably reached the end of her natural lifespan, especially since the other millipedes are fine. Do you keep/transfer some of the old substrate when you change it? I’ve been doing so for a while now with my millipedes and I believe it makes rehousing less of a stress and perhaps helps maintain the microbiome.