My millipede collection

Marika

Arachnoangel
Awesome! Is there a piece of mango under that pile of weirdos??
Ivories, from what I hear, have great personalities! Any reason for this or were they all just wanting a group hug? There must be several thousand legs in that picture.
Nope, nothing yummy there, just a big pile of pedes. Didn't seem to be a reason for it, that's why it was so weird. Like I said, freaks :p

Marika

Arachnoangel
Another pede pile:
DSC03623.JPG
DSC03622.JPG

I don't know how long they had been like that before I noticed. After a while one of them got hungry:
DSC03626.JPG

Marika

Arachnoangel
The first mating attempt I've witnessed (a couple of months ago). Hoping for babies...
DSC03749 – kopio.JPG

Hi.
DSC03783.JPG

3x Aphistogoniulus hova (juveniles), C. spinigerus, C. splendidus and 2x Cameroon grey/cream stripe (adult and pedeling).
DSC03827 – kopio.JPG
DSC03830 – kopio.JPG

mickiem

Arachnoprince
The first mating attempt I've witnessed (a couple of months ago). Hoping for babies...
View attachment 269240

Hi.
View attachment 269241

3x Aphistogoniulus hova (juveniles), C. spinigerus, C. splendidus and 2x Cameroon grey/cream stripe (adult and pedeling).
View attachment 269242
View attachment 269243
Good to see you! Are the species 8 sexually dimorphic? Or is someone else just piling in with them? I love the group with the Aphistogoniulus, ivories, C. splendidus and Cameroons. What a great variety! I never tire of seeing your collection. So many we can't get here. :(

Marika

Arachnoangel
Good to see you! Are the species 8 sexually dimorphic? Or is someone else just piling in with them? I love the group with the Aphistogoniulus, ivories, C. splendidus and Cameroons. What a great variety! I never tire of seeing your collection. So many we can't get here. :(
At least the male was sold to me as sp. 8, so I'm hoping that's what he is. I did see somewhere someone mention that his males were more brownish in color, but other than that, I haven't been able to find much information. I can't wait for my A. hova juvies to grow up, it's been a while since I've had adults of that species. They are so pretty! But slow growing :p Luckily I have a male and two females, so hopefully that means more red babies in the future.

Marika

Arachnoangel
Gave them Gammarus, it was yummy.
DSC03901 – kopio.JPG

This little guy was my very first millipede, I found it inside a piece of cork bark. Cylindroiulus sp. I think. I had been thinking about getting millipedes, for a few years actually, and when I found this one, I just had to get a bigger one. And so I bought my first Aphistogoniulus hova...and then I needed more...and more...and... :p
P1250059 – kopio.JPG

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
How often do you give your millipedes supplemental food? I have yet to offer mine any.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Lucky millipedes! Entre of Gammarus with a side of cucumber!

Marika

Arachnoangel
How often do you give your millipedes supplemental food? I have yet to offer mine any.
Maybe once a week or so. It also depends on the species, some aren't as interested in supplemental food as others.
Cool as always! How many species do you have total?
Thanks! I have 12 species atm:
Anadenobolus monilicornis
Aphistogoniulus hova
Archispirostreptus gigas
Cameroon fat black
Cameroon giant
Cameroon grey/cream stripe
Centrobolus splendidus
Chicobolus spinigerus
Dendrostreptus macracanthus
Mozambique caramel
Spirobolus walkeri
Spirostreptidae sp. 8

Marika

Arachnoangel
Am I part of the Cameroon Fat Black club now @Marika ? You are the only other person on this site I know who owns one, and maybe also centrobolus. I love their adorbss faces that kind of slant inwards. How big is yours?
Unfortunately my Fat Black died a few weeks ago, I'm not sure why. I had recently moved her into a new enclosure with new substrate, so my first thought was that there could be something wrong with the substrate, but there really shouldn't be and the other millipedes (S. walkeri) in the same enclosure are fine. So maybe she was old, I don't know. I had her for about a year. I didn't measure her, but I think she was somewhere around 12-15 cm. They are very adorable looking and I'd love to get a new one at some point.

7Fin

Arachnoknight
Unfortunately my Fat Black died a few weeks ago, I'm not sure why. I had recently moved her into a new enclosure with new substrate, so my first thought was that there could be something wrong with the substrate, but there really shouldn't be and the other millipedes (S. walkeri) in the same enclosure are fine. So maybe she was old, I don't know. I had her for about a year. I didn't measure her, but I think she was somewhere around 12-15 cm. They are very adorable looking and I'd love to get a new one at some point.
Awww, very sorry to hear that. I'm sure she lived a good life under your care ;w;

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
Sorry for your loss! :( She had probably reached the end of her natural lifespan, especially since the other millipedes are fine. Do you keep/transfer some of the old substrate when you change it? I’ve been doing so for a while now with my millipedes and I believe it makes rehousing less of a stress and perhaps helps maintain the microbiome.