My mealworm ate my tarantula!!!

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
Wow,you can do that at 4 years old?! :lol:
Jokes aside,i see nothing wrong with ressurecting an old thread,as long as it still has a point.
This thread contains nice information about the dangers of live feeders lost inside the enclosure for newcomers. And as we saw many times,not everybody knows how to use the search function,so this is one way the thread will be easily visible for them for a while.
Whoops, meant to say that on the 15 year old thread that got replied to. :rofl: Anyway usually my issue is someone randomly replying to an old, dead thread asking a totally unrelated question instead of 1) using the search function or, 2) starting their own thread.

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
:lol:i claim the excuse it was the thread title had me responding without really paying to the other details post date an all

Cmoore0475

Arachnopeon
Maybe i have been ill-informed or misread something somewhere down the line, I was under the impression that meal worms and super worms, although looking identical to my uneducated eye, we’re in fact two separate creachsters. Having said that, I was under the impression that mealworms were completely harmless and superworms were the thing to watch out for. I’m going to research, but if someone would like to shed some light on the subject, I would appreciate it.

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
Maybe i have been ill-informed or misread something somewhere down the line, I was under the impression that meal worms and super worms, although looking identical to my uneducated eye, we’re in fact two separate creachsters. Having said that, I was under the impression that mealworms were completely harmless and superworms were the thing to watch out for. I’m going to research, but if someone would like to shed some light on the subject, I would appreciate it.
different insects yes completly harmless you are sadly misinformed. theres a reason everyone here always says crush the heads before using them as feeders op isnt the first or the last to have that happen to a t.

Cmoore0475

Arachnopeon
different insects yes completly harmless you are sadly misinformed. theres a reason everyone here always says crush the heads before using them as feeders op isnt the first or the last to have that happen to a t.
T

Glad I found this. I usually just feed crickets but have switched it up in the past. I was researching grub worms as food! My t albo has a large underground lair that i have a great view into in two different places. I’m careful to remove anything uneaten after 12 hours or so, but I think it is intensely fascinating to drop a grub above its lair and let it burrow and watch the T zero in on it and go after it and dig it out! I dont do it often but 2nd meal after a molt so i don’t run into issues like this and I know it’s taking food again.

Vulash

Arachnosquire
Here I am reading this thread and getting angry at the OP when I realize it's from 2016. I didn't read it to its conclusion but hopefully he didn't get the rest of his Ts killed.

ThatsUnpossible

Arachnosquire
I think it's a good thing this thread gets resurrected every now and then. Horrible thing to happen but easily prevented.

ArachnoDancer

Arachnopeon
I'm begging everyone to stop resurrecting threads that could now get a learner's permit to drive in several states.
This thread is just really helpful. But it is hilarious on the revive right now.

Just got a spiderling and reading this entire forum has helped me to keep many things in mind for my spiderling. Me and my partner thought it might be a good idea to leave one mealworm dish inside..its only been a day..after him not eating since we first got him Feb 3..
1. Crickets didnt work..even chopped no clue if he actually touched or ate it or kept live in there because my partner says he must learn to hunt as well. I read this forum and got told definitely not to leave crickets in there and learned crickets cannibalise on each other..so not a recommendation.. and may create bad issues or health issues

2. Tried fruitflies..they legit went everryywhheeree. I dont know where the hell they are rn

3. Finally using mealworms as a test drive i tried to tongue feed or leave him on the floor with meal worms by him. He still hasnt touched for a long long time so we decided to empty out his water dish -place a smaller one in there and add honey dilluted with water- his water dish is really deep enough for nothing to ever climb -half my finger deep- left it in there for a day right now..while reading and finding out they eat meal worms I took out one..to leave just one in there because my partner says it is good for him to try to hunt..

reading more of this forum in the almost 24 hours of meal worm in his dish taught me to..not leave a live meal worm or anything live.. id like to still have him eat live for he is a pink toe tarantula but a spiderling..
Just no more meal worm dish-
And still..he has not eaten..
Now I am gonna chop this meal worm head off in the dish..

i got him on feb 3rd and he hasnt eaten. I love my spiderling and will do anything for him. So thank you forum for teaching me what not and to do

and i have stated my mistakes luckily its only been 6 days I got him and I can see all to watch out for. If anybody can help me and see how to get my tarantula to eat..he is a spiderling but looks a bit large size of a cricket right now
-unknown gender for avicularia at the moment

Last edited:

curtisgiganteus

ArachnoViking, Conqueror of Poikilos and Therion
Old Timer
This is by far one of the most messed up yet most amusing thread I have ever read through.

ThatsUnpossible

Arachnosquire
i got him on feb 3rd and he hasnt eaten. I love my spiderling and will do anything for him. So thank you forum for teaching me what not and to do
So you've only had him a week? I'm not trying to be hurtful, but it sounds like you're messing with him a lot. He needs a suitably set up enclosure and some time to acclimatise to his new surroundings and then he might eat.

Make sure his enclosure is suitable before anything else. Make sure he has access to fresh water, then read a couple of threads about Avicularia husbandry on here. More Avics probably die from bad husbandry than from starving themselves.

Great Avic advice here: https://arachnoboards.com/threads/avicularia-husbandry.282549/#post-2461396

Plenty of info here, keep reading and best of luck with little guy.

campj

Captive bread
Old Timer
This is by far one of the most messed up yet most amusing thread I have ever read through.
It's the incarnation of a joke I put in the deliberately bad advice thread 🤣

"Tarantulas know how to pace their meals, so you can dump a month's worth of feeders in at the beginning of each month."

ArachnoDancer

Arachnopeon
So you've only had him a week? I'm not trying to be hurtful, but it sounds like you're messing with him a lot. He needs a suitably set up enclosure and some time to acclimatise to his new surroundings and then he might eat.

Make sure his enclosure is suitable before anything else. Make sure he has access to fresh water, then read a couple of threads about Avicularia husbandry on here. More Avics probably die from bad husbandry than from starving themselves.

Great Avic advice here: https://arachnoboards.com/threads/avicularia-husbandry.282549/#post-2461396

Plenty of info here, keep reading and best of luck with little guy.
Dont worry He has been in his enclosure for quite some time now. Relaxing. He has been making his web, with water, and food at times. Its a learning process but we have been keeping tabs and tryna make sure to see if he will be okay.