My Mantis is not eating

Sotiris

Arachnopeon
Hello, I am new to the forum, so if the thread is not suitable for the particular forum or category please let me know. :) So i have had an adult female Preying mantis for some good 3 weeks now, and the past few days it won't eat, it just catches it's prey, kills it and then drops it. I'm worried that if this keeps up it's going to die... any help would be much apreciated.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Hello, I am new to the forum, so if the thread is not suitable for the particular forum or category please let me know. :) So i have had an adult female Preying mantis for some good 3 weeks now, and the past few days it won't eat, it just catches it's prey, kills it and then drops it. I'm worried that if this keeps up it's going to die... any help would be much apreciated.
How does her abdomen look? Plump or flat?

Sotiris

Arachnopeon
How does her abdomen look? Plump or flat?
I would say flat, a week ago it left some some white strainson the ceiling of its home, I don't know I'd there are eggs or just excriments (it's hanging upside down all the time from there)

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I would say flat, a week ago it left some some white strainson the ceiling of its home, I don't know I'd there are eggs or just excriments (it's hanging upside down all the time from there)
Any idea on how long she's been mature? If her abdomen is flat, she should be hungry, except maybe when she is very old already. What species is it and how are you keeping it? Some pictures would be useful :)

Sotiris

Arachnopeon
Any idea on how long she's been mature? If her abdomen is flat, she should be hungry, except maybe when she is very old already. What species is it and how are you keeping it? Some pictures would be useful :)
I have no idea how long it's been an adult. I found it already grown up, I am posting pics in a second. I think it's a preying many is based on photos I've seen online.

Sotiris

Arachnopeon
I have put in an order for a big aquarium to make her a suitable home but unfortunately it's had a two week delay up until now, and I'm looking on getting another one the next days

Attachments

Sotiris

Arachnopeon
Could be dying, as the adults don't live too long, and since you don't know how old it is.
Yeah... I'm afraid of that as well... but i want to try to give it some energy, I noticed that even if I put water drops on the walls and on a bottle cap on the soil, it won't dring at all... Maybe that's also a cause of her not having so much energy..

VolkswagenBug

Arachnobaron
Yeah... I'm afraid of that as well... but i want to try to give it some energy, I noticed that even if I put water drops on the walls and on a bottle cap on the soil, it won't dring at all... Maybe that's also a cause of her not having so much energy..
Try honey as well. Is it lying down and having trouble holding itself up?

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
You could try the honey like @VolkswagenBug mentioned. I would also give it more ventilation, it looks stuffy in there and mantids don't do well in stuffy enclosures. I'd also advise to set the temporary enclosure on its end instead of how it is now. Mantids require more height than width.
That much substrate is unnecessary. Just a layer of half a centimeter is enough. I kept mine on kitchen paper, much easier to keep clean.
What have you tried feeding her?
I know it is a praying mantis, lol. But those come in different species you know...;)

MatisIsLoveMantisIsLyf

Arachnobaron
First of all "γεια σου".Happy to see another Greek on this forum, I've been trying to find someone from my country in this forum for ages now, and finally found one, so welcome. now, about your mantis; he could be dying ; search for dark spots on him, then try offering other foods, like mealworm beetles, locusts and even moths, wax moths or horn worm moths. If he doesn't accept it, flurry giving him some water and honey. If nothing works, then neither just leave him get hungry, or accept his fate.