My Luck with Poecilotheria Slings

lostbrane

Arachnobaron
So, I was going about my business, looking at all my beautiful tarantulas, when I noticed my P. metallica sling was up against the side of the deli cup. I hadn't tried to sex it before and figured this was a good chance to.

Lo and behold, it has the dot/uneven furrow. So highly suspect male. My P. vittata juvie (got it when it was on the sling/juvie cusp): male. P. subfusca LL juvie (got it around sling/juvie cusp): male. P. subfusca HL sling: male. So far the only confirmed female is my P. regalis and well she's an adult so fairly obvious.

I know, it's a small sample size, it's across many species, really I should be getting multiples if I'm actually aiming to get a female, etc. Even so, I love them all! However, it's just curious that I would get mostly males so far. Here's hoping either my new P. vittata sling or P. ornata sling breaks the streak ;). I'll have to see though, P. vittata might be big enough to sex but I haven't been able to get a good ventral view and the P. ornata is too small.

Last edited:

weibkreux

Arachnoknight
At what size are they easily be able to sex ventrally? I have 3pcs P. regalis slings, more than an inch right now. I got my P. miranda as a sub-adult female so it doesn't count. lol

lostbrane

Arachnobaron
Well, I can't speak for all of them but my P. subfusca HL should be at 4i (about 1-1.25" now) and the dot is super apparent.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
What a lucky guy. With all those breeding loans you're going to be overwhelmed with baby pokies! :p

Gotta look at the bright side. ;)

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Are you able to see your slings (like at an expo) before purchasing? Or are they all mail-ordered? Because at expos, usually breeders will have a handful of each species they’re selling, and they are often sac mates. When I first started out, I would naturally gravitate toward the largest individuals of the batch (bigger and stronger, right?), and would pretty much end up with only males. Females grow slower than males do. Though there are a number of other factors that could affect early growth rates, choosing individuals that are noticeably smaller than their same-age sac mates will increase your odds of getting girls. Still no guarantees, though.

lostbrane

Arachnobaron
I usually have them shipped. Haven't made a purchase at an expo yet. My method of purchase is "oh look a cool spider!" and then just let the chips fall where they may haha. In the end I'm fine with getting either male or female, I'm just happy to be able to keep such amazing creatures. I also sort of enjoy the surprise, or at least not knowing for a bit. Makes it a little more exciting haha. I was just noticing the potential start to a trend. But yeah, if I was actively looking for females I'd put in a bit more effort, etc.