1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My little friend Tim

Discussion in 'True Spiders & Other Arachnids' started by Ayron, Jul 12, 2019 at 3:08 PM.

1. Ayron

Ayron Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    1DD0AAAC-7957-4C3B-8C6D-47902405CFCA.jpeg So, I’ve found this little guy living inside the landing light outside my front door. I first noticed the web forming close to a year ago but never saw any spiders. But recently I saw his legs poking out and last night he came out completely. I have no idea what kind of spider he is, can anyone help out? He only ever comes out at night and hides away most of the time after the lights come on.

• Like Like x 1
    • Award Award x 1
  2. Gryphus

Gryphus Arachnopeon

Looks like the Arizona black hole spider (Kukulcania arizonica). I caught one of these guys hiding in a crack in a brick wall. Yeah these spiders only come out at night.

• Like Like x 1
    • Award Award x 1
  3. Ayron

Ayron Arachnopeon

Just did a little google and looks very similar, but I live in England so it can’t be can it?

• Award Award x 1
  4. Arthroverts

Arthroverts Arachnobaron Active Member

You are correct, it can't be Kukulcania sp. if you're in England. It also doesn't have the right coloration or overall "look" of Kukulcania. Maybe @Polenth, @basin79, and @Dry Desert can shed some light on this?

Hope this helps,

Arthroverts

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019 at 7:02 PM
    • Like Like x 1
    • Award Award x 1
  5. basin79

basin79 Arachnoemperor Active Member

Segestria florentina?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Award Award x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Polenth

Polenth Arachnoknight Active Member

I was also about to reply and say Segestria florentina. As well as the overall appearance, it looks like the web is a tube in the hole with lines coming out of it, which is right for that species.

• Like Like x 1
    • Award Award x 1
  7. The Snark

The Snark هرج و مرج مهندس Old Timer

I just handed out a mess of awards. This thread is exemplary of IDing in all aspects. Nice photo that gave required info, good quick follow up, good in depth investigating, good referencing and calling in resources, ... right on down the line. Kudos all.
    Welcome to AB, @Ayron

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. Smokehound714

Smokehound714 Arachnoking Active Member

Socal
    might actually be senoculata florentina have metallic green chelicerae

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ayron

Ayron Arachnopeon

Thank you very much! You’ve all been very helpful thank you all so much

• Like Like x 1