My latest whaco!

heering80

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
We were celebrating our engagement in Turku which is a town here in Finland, and found this little fellow from a local pet shop.

I think it was one of those cases that the clerck didn't have what it takes to change it to another cage. And I don't blame him/her. After changing the enclosures I can say, that this beast is (murinus+crawshayi+blondi)^10!! It was like heat seeking missile after it detected my fingers. Like a kid after candy. *Drool - must have - must have - Drooool*

Anyways, I paid 60€ for it. I think it was quite cheap.

I know the abdomen is quite small. But in the picture it's enjoying its second crick under my care :)

cdxrd

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Im thinking of naming my new one LBOBT.. Little Blue Orange Bitey Thing

mantid

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Why is it's abdomen so small? oh nice picture by the way.

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Do you know yet if it's male or female?

I haven't had personal experience with H. lividum, but from what I've read I'm under the impression that only females have the vibrant blue color.

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
your impression of females being the only ones to have the blue is correct, sort of. the males have it until they mature, then they turn a charcoal grey color with some black. The females will retain it after maturity. I would guess H. lividum matures at about 4.5" or so.

heering80

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I believe it's a female judging by the proprtions of "her" legs. I never trust what the seller says, but it was sold to me as a female. Can't say anything for sure. She's closeing in on that 4.5" milestone, so we'll see soon enough what the coloration will be.

One of the reasons for it's smallish abdomen might be that it has been under a great stress because of her container in the pet shop (1" of 100% humid soil, no hide or nothin'). So it might have distressed and cause some lack of appetite..

heering80

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I love this little beast!

Here it is with her new toy - a big fat roach!