My Ivory Millipedes

Barbarica

Arachnopeon
I love Florida ivories! Very handleable, full of "personality", and I frequently see them out during the day.

Barbarica

Arachnopeon
She's beautiful! I agree one of the best pets. They aren't big like the impressive AGB's but they make up for it in personality.
I agree. They're pretty, too. I'm a fan of Flamelegs for color, but if I had to pick a pet millipede, I'd pick ivories because they're interactive.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Yum - cucumber! That big female on the left is 4 1/4” long one of the biggest I’ve seen 845E77FB-0895-496B-A2FA-75595CA096EC.jpeg

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Yowzer, look at these kids go! This was a fully round slice ten minutes ago. thin, but full. they were doing a tug of war, back and forth. It will be gone in no time. You would think I never feed them :rolleyes: FBA15FD9-96CF-4316-B2CB-8156B794C51C.jpeg

Last edited:

mickiem

Arachnoprince
They had to choose between yummy oak and baked sweet potato i think the oak will go first DE598DE5-32BE-48F4-A3F6-94666DE1599C.jpeg

Millipedematt

Arachnosquire
Don't Chicobolus females drop 500+ eggs in their lifetime? Do the parents of these 200 still lay eggs?

Also, what habitat do ivories like? It seems that around Miami, the only place I've hunted for inverts in Florida, ivories are pretty scarce. Apparently they can be found in the Keys and are certainly found north of Miami. I'd like to catch a few myself, but no luck so far.
Well you can find these guys in the keys, homestead fl, everglades national park, and all throughout Florida pretty much. I live near Miami and i never heard of ivory's being found in that area but who knows i don't see why they wouldent be there. Best bet would most likely be everglades national park i have heard of a lot of different millipedes being found there ivory's included.

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
Well you can find these guys in the keys, homestead fl, everglades national park, and all throughout Florida pretty much. I live near Miami and i never heard of ivory's being found in that area but who knows i don't see why they wouldent be there. Best bet would most likely be everglades national park i have heard of a lot of different millipedes being found there ivory's included.
I visited Florida twice since I wrote that, but due to it being midsummer when I went to the Everglades, there was nothing active or even hidden except for lubbers. Miami did not yield any ivories either; I will try the Keys next.

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
How are your beauties doing? :happy:

Those that you sent me last fall have grown and seem to be doing well! :astonished: This is not the first time that I’ve had much better success with captive-bred than wild-caught Spirobolids — and of course yours got the best possible start on life! :)

mickiem

Arachnoprince
How are your beauties doing? :happy:

Those that you sent me last fall have grown and seem to be doing well! :astonished: This is not the first time that I’ve had much better success with captive-bred than wild-caught Spirobolids — and of course yours got the best possible start on life! :)
That’s good to hear! The Narceus are doing great, too. I’m on my way to Tinley Park! (Hubby driving). Excited to find something new. :p

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
@mickiem

I am more than delighted with the little newcomers! Thank you again!
A month or so ago, I got a sexed pair of ivory millipedes. They are still young, about 2.5 inches long. Other than legs converted to gonopods, are there any other characteristics that can help sex them? One is wider, with a blunter terminal segment, I assume that is the female. Are those reliable secondary indicators?

mickiem

Arachnoprince
@mickiem

I am more than delighted with the little newcomers! Thank you again!
A month or so ago, I got a sexed pair of ivory millipedes. They are still young, about 2.5 inches long. Other than legs converted to gonopods, are there any other characteristics that can help sex them? One is wider, with a blunter terminal segment, I assume that is the female. Are those reliable secondary indicators?
The most obvious indicator on Ivories is the “hood”. Looking from above, the males 7th segment is widened appearing as a hood. In Ivories, it’s always black. I notice it in millipedes the size of yours, so you should see it. Once they are full grown, the female is about a third larger than the male. Here is a photo of a young male.

Attachments

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The most obvious indicator on Ivories is the “hood”. Looking from above, the males 7th segment is widened appearing as a hood. In Ivories, it’s always black. I notice it in millipedes the size of yours, so you should see it. Once they are full grown, the female is about a third larger than the male. Here is a photo of a young male.
Thank you, that definitely helps! One of mine definitely has a pronounced hood.
By the way, I tried to message you, and your inbox was full. I wanted to ask you a question relating to my recent acquisitions. No problems, just questions.
Thanks again!
Rus

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Thank you, that definitely helps! One of mine definitely has a pronounced hood.
By the way, I tried to message you, and your inbox was full. I wanted to ask you a question relating to my recent acquisitions. No problems, just questions.
Thanks again!
Rus
Sorry about that! It's open now.