My husband wants a T...I am disabled, and I have a concern...

shypoet

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well, that little pic is a bit much for my one eye to focus on, but it does 'look' like it needs more substrate in the enclosure.

When you use the digital camera, make sure to use the macro setting when taking pics of the T, it is usually a little flower icon on the camera.
Ok, I'll put more in. Thanks

shypoet

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
;) No problem! i'll be waiting for larger pics!
it may be a while for bigger pictures. Josh lost his plug in for his digital camera, so even though we can take pics with it, we can't post them to the computer without that cord. His camera is old, so we are not sure if best buy would have a new plug even though we will check.

Right now, I am taking pics with my cell phone and so that's why they're not the best.

Anyhow, I added more substrate. It's damp, but by the window so that it can get sun and dry out quicker. Currently until it's dry, she's on top of her hide out.

Hopefully it'll be dry in a few days.

Thank you for all of your help :) This forum has been great!

Jackuul

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Try one of those universal all-in-one USB hookups they sell at Wal-Mart

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
it may be a while for bigger pictures. Josh lost his plug in for his digital camera, so even though we can take pics with it, we can't post them to the computer without that cord. His camera is old, so we are not sure if best buy would have a new plug even though we will check.
You might have better luck looking on ebay or tigerdirect.com . i don't know anything about the universal usb Jakuul mentioned, but i would check on that first.(no shipping!):D

Anyhow, I added more substrate. It's damp, but by the window so that it can get sun and dry out quicker. Currently until it's dry, she's on top of her hide out.
What kind of lid did you end up getting?

If it is anything beside a screen lid, then the above is a bad idea. By putting it in the sunlight, you could create a greenhouse effect and end up cooking your T(worst case scenario). If you do have a screen lid, the water dish should be watched and kept full to prevent dehydration.

LadySharon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
multi card reader example:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=9722059

I bought one for my mom recently that was a different model for about 12. still easly affordable.

quote from site: "The 32-in-1 is compatible with the following cards: CF Type I, CF Type II, Micro Drive, CR-pro, CF-pro II, CF Extreme, CF Extreme III, CF-PSP II, MS, MS (Magic Gate), MS-Duo, MS-Duo (Magic Gate), HS-MS-Pro (Magic Gate), MS-Pro-Duo (Magic Gate), HS-MS-Pro-Duo (Magic Gate), SD, SD Ultra, SDHC, SD-Pro, SD-ultra II, MMC, HS-MMC, RS-MMC, MMC 4.0, MMC-Pro, Mini SD (adapter required, not included), XD Card, XD Card (M) "

So even if it's an old camera there should still be a slot for the card. (though my camera is several years old, and my mom's older then that and we both take SD cards. )

It's easy. put the card in the correct slot (should have a picture somewhere on the device or in the instructions) and plug the other end of the reader into your usb. Your computer will detect it as another drive. (or in my case, 4 other drives - but only one occupied drive)

The only problems I've run into using this - I tried it at work. We have network drives of G, H I... which is what the card reader wanted to use - so I had to remap the drive. If you have standard "C, D, E" drives you won't have to worry about that.

The other problem is I have backup software on my computer, that keeps asking if I want to use the drive as a backup. It also sometimes gives me a "does not detect" error - for the drives that don't have a disk in them. no big deal I just hit continue. Not a problem if you don't have that type of software.

- Sharon

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Eupalastrus campestratus is a fantastic spider. Probably the calmest tarantula available.

Some other options, that he might want to consider, are

Lasiodorides polycuspulatus "Peruvian blonde"
Lasiodorides striatus "Andean stripe-leg"

Both are calm, and they get significantly larger than the E. camp. Easy care is also a bonus. I'd recommend he/ you take a good look at these.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Eupalastrus campestratus is a fantastic spider. Probably the calmest tarantula available.

Some other options, that he might want to consider, are

Lasiodorides polycuspulatus "Peruvian blonde"
Lasiodorides striatus "Andean stripe-leg"

Both are calm, and they get significantly larger than the E. camp. Easy care is also a bonus. I'd recommend he/ you take a good look at these.
They have already gotten a G. rosea.................. but it's nice to see such an old member posting!:D

shypoet

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You might have better luck looking on ebay or tigerdirect.com . i don't know anything about the universal usb Jakuul mentioned, but i would check on that first.(no shipping!):D

What kind of lid did you end up getting?

If it is anything beside a screen lid, then the above is a bad idea. By putting it in the sunlight, you could create a greenhouse effect and end up cooking your T(worst case scenario). If you do have a screen lid, the water dish should be watched and kept full to prevent dehydration.
Thanks. She has a screen lid. I am keeping her water dish full even though she has not come down from her hide out yet to drink.

shypoet

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
multi card reader example:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=9722059

I bought one for my mom recently that was a different model for about 12. still easly affordable.

quote from site: "The 32-in-1 is compatible with the following cards: CF Type I, CF Type II, Micro Drive, CR-pro, CF-pro II, CF Extreme, CF Extreme III, CF-PSP II, MS, MS (Magic Gate), MS-Duo, MS-Duo (Magic Gate), HS-MS-Pro (Magic Gate), MS-Pro-Duo (Magic Gate), HS-MS-Pro-Duo (Magic Gate), SD, SD Ultra, SDHC, SD-Pro, SD-ultra II, MMC, HS-MMC, RS-MMC, MMC 4.0, MMC-Pro, Mini SD (adapter required, not included), XD Card, XD Card (M) "

So even if it's an old camera there should still be a slot for the card. (though my camera is several years old, and my mom's older then that and we both take SD cards. )

It's easy. put the card in the correct slot (should have a picture somewhere on the device or in the instructions) and plug the other end of the reader into your usb. Your computer will detect it as another drive. (or in my case, 4 other drives - but only one occupied drive)

The only problems I've run into using this - I tried it at work. We have network drives of G, H I... which is what the card reader wanted to use - so I had to remap the drive. If you have standard "C, D, E" drives you won't have to worry about that.

The other problem is I have backup software on my computer, that keeps asking if I want to use the drive as a backup. It also sometimes gives me a "does not detect" error - for the drives that don't have a disk in them. no big deal I just hit continue. Not a problem if you don't have that type of software.

- Sharon
Thank you. I will look into getting one

shypoet

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ok, now I have a question.

The pet store we got her at uses coconut bark or whatever it is for a substrate, but we put peat moss in her tank.

All she does is just lay on top of her hideout and she rarely moves. Her substrate is not dry yet, but I am hoping it will be dry within a few days or so. I know this is the reason why she just lays on top of her hideout, but will she know when it is dry?

Should I be worried since she is not going to her water? We've only had her since Friday, but like I said, I haven't seen her go to her water at all. I thought that even if the substrate was damp, that if she needed water, she'd go to it.

If, after a week, she's still on top of her hideout, we should switch her substrate right?

I just don't want her to die

Londoner

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Don't worry about the peat-moss, the T will come down when the sub is dry. I wouldn't worry about the water issue. Chances are, even when the T comes down to earth, you'll rarely see it drinking. A week isn't a long time when it comes to settling in...sometimes it can take much longer (even when the sub is dry).

She's not going to die. Just give her as much time as she needs to settle in and try to relax. It reminds me of when I got my first T. I was so excited I kept second guessing myself and fussing :D . At least you've got great places like this site to seek answers and reassurance from...back then, not many people (myself included), had heard of the internet :D .

shypoet

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thank you for letting me know that. I know that I worry way too much, but I wanted to make sure that it was nothing to be concerned about.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ok, now I have a question.

The pet store we got her at uses coconut bark or whatever it is for a substrate, but we put peat moss in her tank.
Peat moss is a perfectly fine substrate.

All she does is just lay on top of her hideout and she rarely moves.
Tarantulas are not, for the most part, active pets. They are more like flowers, you enjoy them for their beauty and appreciate them for what they are.

Her substrate is not dry yet, but I am hoping it will be dry within a few days or so. I know this is the reason why she just lays on top of her hideout, but will she know when it is dry?
She will know when it is dry enough for her and she has probably already been on the substrate to check it, you just didn't catch her.

Should I be worried since she is not going to her water? We've only had her since Friday, but like I said, I haven't seen her go to her water at all. I thought that even if the substrate was damp, that if she needed water, she'd go to it.
If a tarantula is in need of water, they will go looking for it. Also, it is rare to 'catch' a T drinking, so just because you haven't seen her, doesn't mean she hasn't.

If, after a week, she's still on top of her hideout, we should switch her substrate right?
No, the only reasons IMO to switch substrate out is some kind of infestation.

I just don't want her to die
The number one problems newbies encounter IMO, is wanting to do too much for their Ts. Tarantulas are low-maintenance and don't need to be worried about constantly. Don't get me wrong, i check on all of our Ts multiple times a day, but i have learned what is normal behavior; so, i look at them and observe, but don't worry over them.

She won't die without a drink for a few days.:D

Londoner

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
No need to apologize :) .

G. roseas tend to be sulky little buggers when it comes to new surroundings (most Ts can), but they will settle in over time.

shypoet

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Peat moss is a perfectly fine substrate.

Tarantulas are not, for the most part, active pets. They are more like flowers, you enjoy them for their beauty and appreciate them for what they are.

She will know when it is dry enough for her and she has probably already been on the substrate to check it, you just didn't catch her.

If a tarantula is in need of water, they will go looking for it. Also, it is rare to 'catch' a T drinking, so just because you haven't seen her, doesn't mean she hasn't.

No, the only reasons IMO to switch substrate out is some kind of infestation.

The number one problems newbies encounter IMO, is wanting to do too much for their Ts. Tarantulas are low-maintenance and don't need to be worried about constantly. Don't get me wrong, i check on all of our Ts multiple times a day, but i have learned what is normal behavior; so, i look at them and observe, but don't worry over them.

She won't die without a drink for a few days.:D
That is very good to know.

Thanks for all of your help over the past few days :)

She's making silk on top of her hideout now. It's neat to watch

shypoet

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
No need to apologize :) .

G. roseas tend to be sulky little buggers when it comes to new surroundings (most Ts can), but they will settle in over time.
Ya, I've been observing her, and you're right...it does seem like she is sulking.

shypoet

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I am just bumping this because of course I have a question.

Last week when we bought Suzie, we bought her some crickets, which I will feed her this week. Most of the crickets are still alive (3). However, there are little fruit flies around the crickets. Is it ok to still feed her these crickets even though there are fruit flies around them, or should we go buy new ones?

I say we just go buy her new ones, but Josh insists that if they are still alive, they are fine to give to her.

From now on, I'm only buying crickets the day we actually intend on feeding her, because I can't deal with those flies.

And, I got my Tarantula Keeper's Guide book now, so most of my questions are being answered in there which means I don't plan on posting in this thread anymore unless I can't find the answer in there or in the search.

Thanks everyone for your help :)

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
They are fine to feed.

But yeah, buying the day of feeding would be better.