My husband is worried

miamc12321

Arachnopeon
We haven't gotten so much of a glimpse of our little B hamorii since it arrived. I ran right under the small cork bark, and proceeded to cover the entrance with sub. Now, I wasn't worried, but It's been a couple weeks since we got our babies. This little 1/2 inch guy is the only one we have yet see. My husband's worrying has got me worried a bit now. I keep telling him we just need to offer food and keep the dish watered. He's still worrying. Just want to be reassured this is normal.

There have been small signs that she/he is in there, because the dirt covering the entrance was more one day and less another. He's still worrying. I hope you guys can put my mind at ease so I can put his at ease. He wanted to move the cork bark and dirt, but I wouldn't let him. Thanks, as always! I have an enclosure pic attached.

Attachments

basin79

ArachnoGod
We haven't gotten so much of a glimpse of our little B hamorii since it arrived. I ran right under the small cork bark, and proceeded to cover the entrance with sub. Now, I wasn't worried, but It's been a couple weeks since we got our babies. This little 1/2 inch guy is the only one we have yet see. My husband's worrying has got me worried a bit now. I keep telling him we just need to offer food and keep the dish watered. He's still worrying. Just want to be reassured this is normal.

There have been small signs that she/he is in there, because the dirt covering the entrance was more one day and less another. He's still worrying. I hope you guys can put my mind at ease so I can put his at ease. He wanted to move the cork bark and dirt, but I wouldn't let him. Thanks, as always! I have an enclosure pic attached.
Settling in or in premoult. Might have even moulted by now. Nowt to worry about. The little one knows best. Just keep the water dish full.

Don't offer food until you see you little one out and about.

miamc12321

Arachnopeon
I totally agree!! I get paranoid and glance in their houses sometimes just to make sure all is normal :p

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
Your Ts behavior sounds normal AND worrying is normal too. Trust that your T is doing what it needs to do. Also, this is why it is appealing to get more and more Ts!
:)

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
My first tarantula ever was too Brachypelma hamorii. Mine went straight into burrow mode, and stayed in burrow roughly about three weeks. Below is the picture I took after three weeks of waiting.

5276159E-2CCD-4ACE-B4E1-B3CE481F2CB3.jpeg

While my sling was in burrow, I did water here and there twice a week, and I also did left pre killed insect every three days.

After three months later, he or she looks like this.

BD6AC4CD-F8EC-4689-9014-9D714F516CDF.jpeg

FBF4185B-A226-4A2F-B73A-16D581F0DA23.jpeg

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Ah ah, now I feel the need to call and 'prank' that 'Tax Phone Number', posing as an Illinois 'Real Estate' business owner that had a little slightly problem with the bank :)

miamc12321

Arachnopeon
Your Ts behavior sounds normal AND worrying is normal too. Trust that your T is doing what it needs to do. Also, this is why it is appealing to get more and more Ts!
:)
We have four, but more is definitely in our future. LOL! One cannot simply stop at four :)
My first tarantula ever was too Brachypelma hamorii. Mine went straight into burrow mode, and stayed in burrow roughly about three weeks. Below is the picture I took after three weeks of waiting.

View attachment 269142

While my sling was in burrow, I did water here and there twice a week, and I also did left pre killed insect every three days.

After three months later, he or she looks like this.

View attachment 269145

View attachment 269146
What a cute little baby!! Absolutely adorable!!

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
Ah ah, now I feel the need to call and 'prank' that 'Tax Phone Number', posing as an Illinois 'Real Estate' business owner that had a little slightly problem with the bank :)
Ask him or her what tarantulas are the best to purchase with the tax return money.

crystalfreakkk

Arachnosquire
IME when tarantulas are still very small they burrow more and like to stay hidden. Otherwise in the wild they would be a tasty snack.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The only way to ever be sure with a small sling is visual. So either dig it up, or wait. I'd wait a bit more based on your dirt comment.

miamc12321

Arachnopeon
The only way to ever be sure with a small sling is visual. So either dig it up, or wait. I'd wait a bit more based on your dirt comment.
I agree with you. In case he/she is molting, I've heard It's a no no to dig them up. So It's the waiting game.

cold blood

Staff member
Your desire to have an aesthetically pleasing enclosure has resulted in a constantly burrowed sling.

House them in over-size enclosure and you end up getting a more natural response from the sling...that is, hiding...excessively. They will actually hide so much, that they will rarely eat...and while this isn't necessarily going to cause damage of any kind, it will significantly reduce the growth rate to a glacial crawl.

House in a small tighter enclosure and you will not only be able to monitor the t all the time, but it will adopt the enclosure as its burrow, so it will be bolder, and more aggressive with food, which will get much faster growth rates...in my experiments about 4 times faster....win-win

miamc12321

Arachnopeon
Your desire to have an aesthetically pleasing enclosure has resulted in a constantly burrowed sling.

House them in over-size enclosure and you end up getting a more natural response from the sling...that is, hiding...excessively. They will actually hide so much, that they will rarely eat...and while this isn't necessarily going to cause damage of any kind, it will significantly reduce the growth rate to a glacial crawl.

House in a small tighter enclosure and you will not only be able to monitor the t all the time, but it will adopt the enclosure as its burrow, so it will be bolder, and more aggressive with food, which will get much faster growth rates...in my experiments about 4 times faster....win-win
I'm sure your right. I actually thought the deli cups was what I would be using at first, but the enclosure was a beginner kit deal that came with him/her from fear not, so I thought it would be best. Now I have pretty dirt to look at until the little guy decides to make an appearance. At least you guys have helped me ease my husband's mind a bit. Now he won't go digging around desperately.

P.S. your little guy/gal is so cute :)

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
This is pretty much all I've seen of my A. musculosa juvenile for the past month or so

DSC00001.JPG

I can actually see into the burrow so I know that it's moulted and that I'm never getting the exuvia for sexing (luckily, Acanthoscurria are easy to vent sex at her size), I'll just chuck a feeder in there in about 10 days time.

miamc12321

Arachnopeon
An update on this. It's alive... it's alive... alive!!! Ahem... sorry...

I am excited to report he/she is fine and fat even though the little one hasn't been seen for three weeks. We did rehouse into a much smaller house as was suggested by cold blood. I don't have pics because we're letting him her calm down and adjust. Thanks for all of your help and comments. My husband, myself, and Tormund Giant's Bane appreciate it!!

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +

What's in the enclosure with the mesh lid that the sling cup is sitting on? ;)