1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My house spider.

Discussion in 'True Spiders & Other Arachnids' started by notanarachnophobe, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Advertisement
    I've been keeping a house spider since last January but here's the problem. I'm going to stay with my girlfriend and her family for a while as of tomorrow, and they don't want me bringing the spider. What can I do with her to make sure she doesn't die? Nobody seems to want her and I don't wanna let her go.

2. Wolfspidurguy

Wolfspidurguy Arachnobaron

Put a few crickets in her enclosure before you go and she'll eat them while your gone

3. Mjb30

Mjb30 Arachnosquire

How long is a while?

4. mconnachan

mconnachan Arachnoprince Active Member

Let her go - hopefully by the time you return there will be a sac waiting to hatch out....

5. The wolf

The wolf Arachnobaron Active Member

U.K.
    What species, how old and for how long

6. basin79

basin79 Arachnoking Active Member

How long are you going to be away?

A large meal will last her ages.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. A few weeks to a month.

8. I think she's a common British house spider, not sure how old. Can I tell?

9. The wolf

The wolf Arachnobaron Active Member

U.K.
    house spider refers to about 10 relatively unrelated species you will need to say which or send a photo

10. FrDoc

FrDoc Arachnoknight Active Member

Ah, a teaching moment for your girlfriend's family. You may point out that there are probably at least 100 spiders in and around their home. You would merely be bringing one that cannot roam wherever, or do whatever it wants. Just a thought.

• Like Like x 1
  11. basin79

Most probably Eratigena atrica.

12. I've tried but she won't have it.

13. basin79

Just start feeding her up NOW. Get her nice and plump and she'll be fine. Just dampen the sub in a corner and spray her web.

14. Shagg

Shagg Arachnopeon

Agreed if it's under a month she'll be fine. Just give her a nice feed/mist right before you leave.
    I have the same problem with a spouse who fears all spiders, even small jumpers :(