My Heterometrus had babies

Diao

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Last Monday, my Asian Forest scorpion had an unexpected event. Babies. This is my second scorpion, but my first clutch. I've got down what I need to do to take care of them, but I was curious how long the little guys will stay on their mothers back. Any help is appriciated! Thanks!

chau0046

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ithink it depends all on temps ,Humidity and spp. But in general they will leave right after their exo-skeleton hardens from their first moult. Useally takes a week to their first moult and a day or two for it to harden.

Mat

Diao

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
They have yet to shed, but their cephalothorax and telson have become a slight tan to a brown. If anyone wants a baby H. spinifer in the next few weeks, PM me. Thanks!

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Aren't Asian Forests known as Heterometrus longimanus? :?

Bry

Diao

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Both Heterometrus Spinifer and Heterometrus Longimanus are referred to as the Asian Forest scorpion. When the common name Asian Forest scorpion is used, however, it's typically for the H. spinifer.

Diao

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Most of the babies molted last night, and I think there are 3 out of 13 that have yet to molt. Now that they have molted, they have become extremely restless, and are constanly scampering around on the mother. Hopefully they will drop of soon, I've just finished setting up a cage for them.

Attachments

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Looks lie you have a decent setup but I would make sure that you keep the humidity hight as baby scorps are more susceptable to death from low humidity...H.spinifer and P.imperator are especially susceptable to problems from low humidity. Make sure you have a very moist area away from the lamp for the babies to go. You might want to cover most of the top with plexiglas or plastic wrap if you don't already...I realize you may have the lid off for the photo.

John
];')

Diao

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
In this setup, I'm trying your technique of humidifying form the bottom up with a tube and gravel on the bottom of the setup. I'm going to buy some plexiglass and fit it to the enclosure. As for now, it's very humid and warm, and it seems it needs no cover at the moment, but the substrate is slowly drying and it needs one. When I put the mother and the babies in there, she promptly moved under some cork bark and began a burrow that goes clear to the back of the cage. Some of the babies have began to wander the cage on their own, but the slightest disturbance causes them to scurry back to the mother and the burrow. They have yet to feed. There is a cave I made from some cork bark, and it's completely kept from any heat source, and it's very damp. If the baby feel the mother's burrow is inadequate, they will most likely move there.

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Ok as long as it stays amp...the burrow will have higher humidity then the surface anyway...I also forget that most places east of here have higher ambient Humidity than Denver...If I were to have a lid off here the entire thing would dry out to dangerous levels in only a few hours...all my humidity loving species have either plexiglass or plastic covering most of the top.

John
];')

chau0046

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I agree with you John.

Its very crucial to meet exact Temp & humidities for the little guys . If their still on her back, She`ll find that area of the tank wich is closest to hers and their needs.

Well, what i`m doing with my 2nd instar P. imperators, is simmilar to your setup with false bottom, but i set up a big two leafed fake plant that touches the soil and two half cocoanut shells(with little doors in`em).
I use the tube to fill the bottom and i give light spray of the windows(for those who haven`t found the dish). I leave one shell on colder side of the tank and the other i actually mist inside , so it holds humidity. I`m going to go to the store soon to get some nice fluffy live moss to line the bottom. I`m trying to offer many different locations to hide so they can find the one which is best. Its only a five gallon but their runnin all over it. Little Piggys

Mat