my grammostola pulchripes is a wackadoodle

burnsj22

Arachnopeon
Spiderbro (grammostola pulchripes) is a complete busybody and is constantly digging up the enclosure and rearranging the substrate. Today she dug out one side of a habba hut (like 4 inches of dirt) and moved all of the dirt on top of a plant on the other side clump by clump. Just curious if anyone else has any superstar interior decorators bc I'm a little confused about her exerting what I imagine is a lot of energy

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I actually have 4 bulldozers and believe it or not they're all Grammostola spp. Don't get me wrong i have others who are sometimes upto some kind of interior design.
I swear my Grammys are constantly busy

burnsj22

Arachnopeon
It is a fun little thing to come home everyday and see what she accomplished while I was at work. One of these days she'll just take a day off and molt for me. She's trying to break the record for longest premolt lol

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
My G pulchripes never outgrew bulldozing. Never know what that tank will look like day to day. He also despises an upright water dish. It's like having a giant sling. :)

Ashlynn Rose

Arachnosquire
My mature male G. pulchripes made a big ball of dirt once. He plopped it in the mouth of his hide and stood next to it for hours on end. He almost looked like he was saying "Look at what I made! Are you proud of me?" Either that or "look at what I could make if I had a bride. Except it would contain babies, not dirt."

AngelDeVille

Fuk Da Meme Police
My female is my best eater, and biggest problem child.

She moves slowly, and never tries to bolt, but she constantly webs the entire floor of her enclosure to wrap a bolus, and tosses her water dish like a frisbee.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Spiderbro (grammostola pulchripes) is a complete busybody and is constantly digging up the enclosure and rearranging the substrate. Today she dug out one side of a habba hut (like 4 inches of dirt) and moved all of the dirt on top of a plant on the other side clump by clump. Just curious if anyone else has any superstar interior decorators bc I'm a little confused about her exerting what I imagine is a lot of energy
Of course we do- well most of us. The question isn't about your Ts natural behavior. The more important question is why are you confused?

burnsj22

Arachnopeon
Of course we do- well most of us. The question isn't about your Ts natural behavior. The more important question is why are you confused?
Interested may be a better word than confused. I’ve had her around three years and it’s a newer behavior that endlessly fascinates me but it does seem like a lot of work for a long fasted spider.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Interested may be a better word than confused. I’ve had her around three years and it’s a newer behavior that endlessly fascinates me but it does seem like a lot of work for a long fasted spider.
Their behaviors change all the time, or can rather. No one on the forum has put forth a reason that is based in science just yet, just speculation- and not this one you observed.

I have a AF G. pulchripes, never made a burrow, not even as sling, well 2x this year I noticed she was thinking of making a burrow upon noticing her burrowing behavior. Who knows why all of a sudden she did this...I sure don't, and won't.

burnsj22

Arachnopeon
Their behaviors change all the time, or can rather. No one on the forum has put forth a reason that is based in science just yet, just speculation- and not this one you observed.

I have a AF G. pulchripes, never made a burrow, not even as sling, well 2x this year I noticed she was thinking of making a burrow upon noticing her burrowing behavior. Who knows why all of a sudden she did this...I sure don't, and won't.
I’m not necessarily looking for an explanation as to why she’s doing what she has decided to do; I am aware that much of what these creatures do is a mystery to us. This mystery is one of the reasons why I’m so enchanted with this hobby. I’ve gotten so much pleasure coming home each day to see what has changed in the enclosure. This fascination/admiration in what our tarantulas do with their time is just the type of thing I like to talk about. So this wasn’t a why or help type thing but more of just a wow I love my spiderbro and want to read about more landscapers :)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I’m not necessarily looking for an explanation as to why she’s doing what she has decided to do; I am aware that much of what these creatures do is a mystery to us. This mystery is one of the reasons why I’m so enchanted with this hobby. I’ve gotten so much pleasure coming home each day to see what has changed in the enclosure. This fascination/admiration in what our tarantulas do with their time is just the type of thing I like to talk about. So this wasn’t a why or help type thing but more of just a wow I love my spiderbro and want to read about more landscapers :)
I didn't necessarily think it was, but wasn't sure either. I was approaching it a bit from my wants haha..I'd LOVE to know why they do what they do hahahah

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Most do this I see lasiodora moving around substrate the most tho .

simone ponzetto

Arachnopeon
my Grammostola pulchripes loves digging too, since her last molt she is continuously active, probably high temperatures stimulate even more her digging behaviour

burnsj22

Arachnopeon
my Grammostola pulchripes loves digging too, since her last molt she is continuously active, probably high temperatures stimulate even more her digging behaviour
Temperature is likely a factor with my girl as well, my apartment is definitely warm

ArachnoHazard

Arachnopeon
My Grammostola rosea did this for quite a while after I first got her until she made herself a burrow with two entrances around the fake plant that was in her enclosure. Now all she really moves around is to cover the water dish.

My Brachypelma albopilosum all of a sudden started doing this after her last molt. She was perfectly content to just sit on top of her substrate and now all of a sudden she wants a burrow and a dirt pile.