My God .... What is it (she?) please help...

zxneon

Arachnosquire
This tarantula was sold as G.rosea at local pet store . Bimbo who works there told me that this spider might be "vnuzuelian sun spider" . Arboreal it was allright . So i did buy that spider . In my country we can get ONLY G.rosea so that was welcome change .
But on closer inspection i realise my mistake .... Big mistake . I think i know what genus is this spider actually now ... I want your opinion first . My hands are shaking right now just from thought what (she?) really is.

Attachments

zxneon

Arachnosquire

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
It's definitely a Pokie, possibly regalis, can you get some better pics? It's really difficult to make out exactly which species from those.

zxneon

Arachnosquire
Sold as a Grammastola?? What?
Yas as G.rosea thy call all tarantulas G.rosea there was also clearly one brachy .
But how did thy did manage to get Poecilotheria is crazy... thy even state that thy do not sell highly venomous ones .

Jmanbeing93

Arachnosquire
Yas as G.rosea thy call all tarantulas G.rosea there was also clearly one brachy .
But how did thy did manage to get Poecilotheria is crazy... thy even state that thy do not sell highly venomous ones .
Because pet stores are stupid and not really a good place to get spiders.

zxneon

Arachnosquire
how to keep pokie ? thy need really moist substrate right ?
She(?) is now in tall enclosure with piece of driftwood for climbing and small water dish .
here is picture of her enclosure .
question is about moisture.... how much ?

Attachments

Jmanbeing93

Arachnosquire
how to keep pokie ? thy need really moist substrate right ?
She(?) is now in tall enclosure with piece of driftwood for climbing and small water dish .
here is picture of her enclosure .
question is about moisture.... how much ?
I am not an expert but the substrate looks wrong, is that cocofiber because it looks awful lot like aspen bedding.

@coldblood - What kind of polkie is that?

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Judging by the information, it sounds like this is your first tarantula. From what I've heard, Poecilotheria are very easy to provide for, it's just the spider's attitude that's a problem. If you want, you could make another enclosure for it with several strategic doors that enable you to feed it, change the water etc. without ever having to open the enclosure and interact with the spider.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
100% Poecilotheria regalis. And a male by the look of it.
Could you post some clearer pics? Doesn't have to be much, just so we can see the color of the spider. A female will be snow white and black, a male will be mostly grey at that size.

Care is the same as Psalmopoeus, except they are much more resistant to dry conditions. Add water. About 16 oz or something similar. You want the sub damp but not soaked. It's a myth they need very damp substrate.

I'd highly recommend looking for a breeder to give him to. Although not as evil as some say, their venom and speed are absolutely no joke.

Cage looks fine otherwise.

Last edited:

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Take it back, man. You're in way over your head having that as a first T, as anyone would be. It can send you to the hospital...no joke. That pet store IS a joke for selling you that.

Last edited:

zxneon

Arachnosquire
Judging by the information, it sounds like this is your first tarantula. From what I've heard, Poecilotheria are very easy to provide for, it's just the spider's attitude that's a problem. If you want, you could make another enclosure for it with several strategic doors that enable you to feed it, change the water etc. without ever having to open the enclosure and interact with the spider.
No not first . But first old world ( i was assuming that this was totally different species ) So i`m in this situation.

carterxwr

Arachnopeon
That's for sure P. Regalis, only pokies with the ventral stripe across the abdomen. I would keep the water dish full and either over fill it a bit or moisten 1 corner of the sub once a week or so. Don't go overboard on the humidity.

zxneon

Arachnosquire
I can not focus on it very good . It is grayish and white with yellow leg underside . I do not see male bulbus pedipalps .
Should i try to give it back ? I really doubt that thy will take it ...

Attachments

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
I'll probably get a few disagrees over this but oh well. I'd keep it. You've already set the enclosure up relatively good for a poec, and you made it through the rehouse alright. Poecilotheria do have very potent venom, and they are extremely fast when they want to be. But they really aren't as hard to deal with as people claim them to be. I personally think you'll be fine as long as you are cautious like you should be with every T. At least you have some experience with tarantulas. If you take it back to the pet store, they'll just throw it back up for sale. Most likely some kid will end up with it, and a possibly lose it or get hurt. In the end, it's your choice though. If you feel like it's not something you can do, then by all means take it back/sell it.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Should i try to give it back ? I really doubt that thy will take it ...
They sold you an animal that can send you to the hospital and cause you days to weeks of agony without your knowledge because they don't even know what animals they have, apparently. Their incompetence could put you in a really bad place. I would raise hell if that happened to me. It could not only potentially affect you, but anyone living with you, and if you have other pets, them too.

I don't blame the animal at all, mind you. I would take it back, tell them what it is and that it's an advanced level animal that should be treated with the utmost respect because the venom is HOT. That way you're educating them on who would be OK with buying it.

Last edited:

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
Just be careful with it and you'll be fine. You know enough to be careful and not get bit. I only have a vittata, but regalis should be about the same. Mine is skittish, but only shows aggression towards super worms :) once again, use good judgement, be safe, or take him back to the store.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
"...my mistake..." "...Big mistake..." "...my hands are shaking..."

These are your own words. These words do not give me confidence that you will be able to properly care for this tarantula.