My Gars

spider

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The bigger ones with spots are Alligator Gars. (Atractosteus spatula)
The smaller one under neith with spots all over is a Spotted gar. ( Lepisosteus oculatus)

And the one in the pic by its self is a Long Nose Gar. (Lepisosteus osseus)

Alligator gars length- record - 7' 9" Over 900 lbs. Can reach 10'

Spotted gar- Record unkown- Can reach 44".

Longnose gar- Record unkown- Can reach 72".

If you think this speceis of fish is good eating, Then I ask that you not post, Please.

It breaks my heart to know someone can actually eat this great and powerful fish. :(

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Spider, You don't have to worry about me eating one of 'em. I like crappie and walleye myself ;)

Socrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Spider, did you post any pics because they are not coming up over here on my end.

How do you keep them, and how long have you had them? What do they eat, and how much of it? Do you handle them? (Probably not, right?)

Ok, I think I asked enough for now.....sorry.

---
Wendy
---

spider

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You just brought it to my attention I forgot to post them. :D:D:D

I have had them for a year. They used to be 4". Now they are almost a foot long each. They eat minnows. And a lot of them. Maybe 20 each if I buy enough for them. One of them tried to eat my softshell. :eek: The softshell was about 2".

Attachments

Socrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
WOW! :eek: They look AWESOME!

Can I ask you some more questions? :8o :8o

How big of a tank do they require? And do they grow according to how much space you provide? What about pH and water temperature?

They have got to be SO MUCH FUN to watch!

---
Wendy
---

spider

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Socrates said:
WOW! :eek: They look AWESOME!

Can I ask you some more questions? :8o :8o

How big of a tank do they require? And do they grow according to how much space you provide? What about pH and water temperature?

They have got to be SO MUCH FUN to watch!

---
Wendy
---

I don` thtink they grow according to tank size. Right now I keep them in a 75 gallon tank. Water temp is not a problem for them. They eat no matter the temp.

Rourke

ArachnoProletariat
Old Timer
Mmmmmmm.....boy do those guys look TASTY!!!

Somebody pass me the tartar sauce..... ;P

Rourke

spider

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I caught them at St. Catherine Creek, National Wildlife Refuge. It`s where I work, in Natchez,MS.

Only a certain time of the year when you can catch them. The biggest one I ever caught was about 3' long.

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
spider said:
I caught them at St. Catherine Creek, National Wildlife Refuge. It`s where I work, in Natchez,MS.

Only a certain time of the year when you can catch them. The biggest one I ever caught was about 3' long.
Thats cool. Are you aloud to catch them?

spider

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I use a dip net so they have no problem with it. That`s right, I caught a 3' alligator gar with a deep net!

How manly am I?!

I work there anyways, So they don`t mind. I get paid to catch Snakes, Turtles, and frogs! :D :D :D

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
spider said:
I use a dip net so they have no problem with it. That`s right, I caught a 3' alligator gar with a deep net!

How manly am I?!

I work there anyways, So they don`t mind. I get paid to catch Snakes, Turtles, and frogs! :D :D :D
I wish i had a job like that when i was your age.

spidergoddess

spidergoddess
Old Timer
Oh, I used to HATE getting gars on my hook when fishing for bass in Miami. Teeth and more teeth. Blasted things would hang out, watch where I was casting, hook themselves on purpose... (They look like awesome tank specimens, though.)

OTOH, was WAY cool when I hooked an Oscar and brought it home to live in my tank.

Number one fish I'd like to have would be an arawana.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Spider, I have to admit that your tank looks cool with those gar in it. You are the only person I have ever heard of that has kept them in a tank before.
I have kept Largemouth Bass before in aquariums.

LPacker79

ArachnoSpaz
Old Timer
Cody, what will you do when they reach gigantic proportions? Release them back where they came from, or build them their own room sized aquarium? Perhaps stick them in some oil and fry them up? (I'm sorry, that was mean). :}