My Galeodes araneoides (Camel spider) has arrived.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
It started eating like three minutes after you got it in the tank!? I knew they were aggressive, but wow

basin79

ArachnoGod
It started eating like three minutes after you got it in the tank!? I knew they were aggressive, but wow
Mantids, pedes, beetles, T's etcetera all do that. I rehoused my Theraphosa blondi the other day and within a minute she was tucking into a cricket.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Mantids, pedes, beetles, T's etcetera all do that. I rehoused my Theraphosa blondi the other day and within a minute she was tucking into a cricket.
Huh. My salamanders might have (I didn't try because I wanted them to settle in--this is good to know), but my whipspider would certainly not have touched food for at least several hours after shipping.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Huh. My salamanders might have (I didn't try because I wanted them to settle in--this is good to know), but my whipspider would certainly not have touched food for at least several hours after shipping.
Ah yes. Some inverts just want to be left alone. Many though love the opportunity to feed. It certainly makes me happy as it means they had a not too bad journey and it gets them hydrated too.

keks

Arachnobaron
She/he/it is sooo exceptional! And it is sooo cute when it's digging ^^ .
Do they eat their prey in a similar way a scorpion does? They are not venomous as far as I know, but they can bite very bad, can't they? And they become huge ...o.o

basin79

ArachnoGod
She/he/it is sooo exceptional! And it is sooo cute when it's digging ^^ .
Do they eat their prey in a similar way a scorpion does? They are not venomous as far as I know, but they can bite very bad, can't they? And they become huge ...o.o
They chew their food like a scorpion yes. Just a lot quicker. They aren't venomous and their bite is greatly exaggerated. I'd sooner get a nip of that gorgeous girl than Pandora.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
She's gorgeous!!! I've never kept that species before - just the locally-caught (for me) California and Arizona species - but I've noticed that they don't usually live very long in captivity. What kind of setup do you have for this one? Have you kept solifugids before? How long did they live?

schmiggle

Arachnoking
I believe the reason camel spiders tend to live such a short time in captivity is that most species are adapted to being dormant most of the year in the wild, and only come out for a few weeks or months each year when it's slightly wetter and cooler around. See the pinned thread about solifuges. I assume it's something along the lines of their bodies get, say, six months of active life, but in the wild it would be spread out over at least three years, because they're inactive most of the year.
There was someone on here who successfully bred them, but I don't know how that ended up turning out.

basin79

ArachnoGod
She's gorgeous!!! I've never kept that species before - just the locally-caught (for me) California and Arizona species - but I've noticed that they don't usually live very long in captivity. What kind of setup do you have for this one? Have you kept solifugids before? How long did they live?
The first video I posted shows her set up.

I have kept a couple many years ago but they where adult when they arrived. Lasted a few weeks.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I believe the reason camel spiders tend to live such a short time in captivity is that most species are adapted to being dormant most of the year in the wild, and only come out for a few weeks or months each year when it's slightly wetter and cooler around. See the pinned thread about solifuges. I assume it's something along the lines of their bodies get, say, six months of active life, but in the wild it would be spread out over at least three years, because they're inactive most of the year.
There was someone on here who successfully bred them, but I don't know how that ended up turning out.
I've read the sticky. It's fantastic.

It appears in a "normal" captive environment they live out their lives without any breaks. No hibernation just flat out.

Some of those that have reproduced their natural seasonal environment have had some fantastic results which is tremendous.