My First True Spider

Lil Paws

Arachnosquire
So a "floppy fly" I thought I spotted while doing a project in our basement turned out to be a baby jumping spider. The little thing is 1/4" long, and I believe she was super dehydrated when I caught her. Her abdomen has grown twice as big after I misted her. She is currently residing in the vial our B. Albo came was shipped in along with some coconut fiber in the bottom and a fake ivy vine. She's quite entertaining for such a tiny thing. It blows my mind that such a small animal can be so intelligent!

image1.JPG

image2.JPG

Connectimyrmex

Arachnopeon
Adorable!
Just make sure to occasionally remove the spider's "safety lines" which it makes when it hops at prey. Too many tangled safety lines can potentially endanger a jumping spider, especially one that small.

arachnoherp

Arachnosquire
Fruit flies are a good food and if it is a species that gets bigger small crickets once it gains size

Connectimyrmex

Arachnopeon
Springtails also are great foods. My jumping spiders always target very active prey items, rather than the more sluggish dubias and japanese beetle hatchlings. Springtails are often active enough to be attractive to a jumper, and the left-over springtails can help clean up jumper waste and natural terrariums.