User My First Tarantulas

WhiskeyR0SE

Arachnopeon
I noticed Blondie's water dish was getting low so i tried to top it off, when she suddenly whorled around and attacked! She stuck at the dish multiple times, splashing water and throwing dirt everywhere!

Like, WTF. She's supposed to be one of the "calm" species! o_O?

IMG_20190126_221518.jpg

Liquifin

Arachnoking
I noticed Blondie's water dish was getting low so i tried to top it off, when she suddenly whorled around and attacked! She stuck at the dish multiple times, splashing water and throwing dirt everywhere!

Like, WTF. She's supposed to be one of the "calm" species! o_O?

View attachment 298669
That's actually a feeding response, so it's nothing to be scared of. T.'s always eat whatever comes at them as an instinct, because they never know when the next prey is coming for the time being. Tarantulas can sense vibration, so what basically happened was that it mistaken you pouring water for prey. And yes, A. chalcodes is a very calm species, and it just had a feeding reaction to you pouring water. So nothing to worry or fear about. ;)

Thekla

Arachnoprince
That's actually a feeding response, so it's nothing to be scared of. T.'s always eat whatever comes at them as an instinct, because they never know when the next prey is coming for the time being. Tarantulas can sense vibration, so what basically happened was that it mistaken you pouring water for prey. And yes, A. chalcodes is a very calm species, and it just had a feeding reaction to you pouring water. So nothing to worry or fear about. ;)
This! ;)

And like I said before, I still think she could do with a bigger enclosure and a better hide. ;)

MARC NORMAN

Arachnopeon
Congratulations, my first two were Goliath bird eaters, probably should have started with something smaller.

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
im planning to run to the local petsmart later this week for a bigger enclosure...just have to dig out my car from under all the snow and ice! lol
Honestly to save yourself a good $10, I wouldn't bother going to PetSmart. I paid $17 for my A. chalcodes enclosure at PS because I didn't know better and later $6 for my G. rosea's much larger enclosure at a home goods store. Plastic storage bins from Walmart or Target will do just fine after you've gotten some airholes drilled in.

WhiskeyR0SE

Arachnopeon
Yikes! A bit of a hiatus due to snow/car issues! I do have an update that was meant to go along with my last post:

i redecorated Blondie's enclosure with a pot fragment and some desert "plants". Her water dish was way too big though, so i switched it out for a smaller one
IMG_20190206_080319.jpg

Blondie showed her appreciation by digging out a whole bunch of dirt! IMG_20190207_194154.jpg

silly girl! :D

WhiskeyR0SE

Arachnopeon
Update on my itty bitty g. Pulchipes: little "Elvie" is hard to get a pic of! She likes to say right back into her home as soon ai open the lid, bit i did snap this! Look at how big that booty is! Just a few days after taking this, she sealed herself up in her burrow (arrow).... Im hoping for another moult?!?? IMG_20190225_150357.jpg